ZBrushCentral

ZB 3.1 Challenge

A simple challenge to try and push 3.1 and find any hidden features that take it above and beyond what’s in version 3.

Post anything you’ve created in ZB3.1 but try to explain how you achieved the results and whether or not you could achieve it in 3.

I’m doing this challenge because I really do feel 3.1 has some nice features ready to be unleashed.

Also don’t take it too serious, and hopefully we can learn from each other.

3point1.jpg

The image above is a test of the Snakehook brush, stitch brush and the rake brush which seems to have more control to me.

The snakehook brush is great for hair.

The stitch brush is ideal for stitching and line patterns etc

3point12.jpg

Using the MeshInsert Dot brush to paint objects straight onto another object. This will be a godsend to paint things like bullets on a gun belt etc.

colourmask.jpg

ColorMask

I painted a patch of green on the face and then turned on Colormask which masks around the colour making it easy to recolour it or select a polygroup from it etc for later editing.

How do you use colormask & backface mask?
Thanks

Backface mask doesn’t seem to work for me, but perhaps I’m doing something wrong.

To use Colormask try the following to get you used to it:

1. Load in a Polysphere from the welcome screen.
  2. Click the color menu and select FillObject so that that object is filled in with your chosen material.
  3. Make sure “RGB” is on in the top menu and “ZAdd” and “ZSub” are off.
  4. Now choose any colour and paint something on your sphere.
  5. Under the Brush palette select “ColorMask” and change the “ColorMaskInt” to 10.
  6. Now Hold down the “CTRL” key for the mask and paint the mask around the colour.

That’s it, this makes it easy to pick up and edit parts that you have painted in a bold colour etc.

I’m new to Zbrush, just started to learn it a week or two ago before 3.1 came out. So it was difficult to adjust from the interface change and brush modifications.

Though, out of all the new brushes, the “Slash2” brush seems to be real handy in 3.1 (can’t double check if it was in 3.0). I find it works wonders to create cuts under the skin in a manner that can create wrinkes with smoothing. Or say act like a hook tool to create fine creases around say a nose nostril and such.

I created a new layer in my “FIRST” WIP image to go to town with fine details once I discovered this Slash2 brush and to just practice.

So here in the image below, you can see the Slash2 let me create some cool stuff rather quickly that would have taken time any other way that I know so far. I cleaned it up a bit of course. I was just doing things quickly and randomly. But you can see the armadillo like plating effect here, and then a simple attempt at fleshy skin over it. You can then go back to create creases easier than the pinch tool would.
[attach=70000]ztest_slash_002.jpg[/attach]

Here I used it again to quickly try to extend the skin of the upper eyelid out more over the bottom one and add some wrinkling with of course some smoothing. (the model is only 1.5 mil polygons right now from a sphere) And you can see how easily around the eyebrow between the eyes I added more of a under curve, which can be handy around a nose.
[attach=70001]ztest_slash_003.jpg[/attach]

A little more near the mouth:
[attach=70002]ztest_slash_001.jpg[/attach]

You of course have to brush to the left to get this effect unless you want it upside down. And turningon lazy mouse to seems to ruin the slash2 brush effect.

If you guys haven’t messed with the Slash2 brush, try it out and see if it can stream line anything for you that took work your current way.

Attachments

ztest_slash_002.jpg

ztest_slash_003.jpg

ztest_slash_001.jpg

I like the use of the Slash brush, did you use gravity on it too?

Nope, I don’t think I had gravity on when i did any of that with the “Slash2.” I also haven’t found much use for the regular slash bruh since it pushes out around the cut.