Default Griffin WIP Need Advice

I need Help with my polymesh before i bring it into Zbruhs i have a few questions

1) For a bird this big, is this the right wingspan for him to be able to take flight? Should the wings be thincker maybe...

2) Should I model feathers in Maya before i go into Zbrush? Ive tried looking for bird models to see how its been done before but with little luck.

Any insight would be great! This is what i have so far...

4l5u9nl.jpg
    4kutnao.jpg

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

wings seem ok.. the best part about zbrush is that if you find your dimensions are off you can always go back and scale them in a lower res mode. Based on this screenshot from one of my favorite games.... your wingspan seems ok, perhaps a little more curve though?

flying_griffin.jpg
    www.wrightsonstudios.com || Portfolio website
    Environmental Artist - 3G Studios

Member Follow User Gallery

well the base mesh looks ok to me. great startin point for sculpting in Z

one thing though: feathers have a LOT of detail so you might want to consider spliiting the mesh into body and wings? gives you the advantage of being able to mirror one finished wing after sculpting it and using it as a subtool.. there is a great WIP/tutorial about sculpting feathers on a birds head in the tuts section, will look it up but it isnt hard to find.

nonetheless i am looking forward to seeing what you come up with

and Zanrok: yes, the wings on the griffons in WoW look good scalewise.. but noone with any respect for themselves would ever ride an alliance bird :-P
    (just teasing you, WoW-factions shouldnt be discussed in this forum)