ZBrushCentral

Hornhead: Finally Sculpting (disgusting nudity): UPDATE!

Hi, More then a year ago I started with this model. Created the base in XSI but since I had some real issues with XSI and xp x64 I decided to continue modelling in blender… At least that was what I was planning to do. But I had to prepare a wedding, got my teaching job extended (doubled!) and so on. So no time to finish the model. Now finally, after a very long time the model is ready to get sculpted. And here are the first few steps… Hope you like it but feel free to be (constructive) critical.

Joost

[hornhead1front.jpg]hornhead1fullquarter.jpg

Attachments

hornhead1fullfront.jpg

hornhead1fullside.jpg

hornhead1side.jpg

That is some strange creature you have created there. (strange is good btw;) ). At the moment I have nothing to crit. I’m anxious to see where you are going with this.

next update please:D

Bimm

THanks for your reply. It motivates me alot. Too bad there only few visitors who actually react…
An update will follow soon. But since there’s a cat lying between my screen, keyboard and drawing tablet, it just doesn’t really fast…

Well anyway thanks again.

Joost

ha well…certainly looks very unusual. Though thats not a bad thing. I’d be careful with his arms and hands. Would flesh them out :wink:

Interesting creature you have there!

Couple crits:

1. The transition from the spine to the upper abdomen is too harsh, see if you can make it more believable.

2. The neck needs more of a structure to it…it doesn’t look like that head would be rotate-able. See my attachment for explanation.

Other than that, it’s looking cool. I love what you’ve got with the arms. Bring on the next update!

Attachments

crit.JPG

Well - I know that mostly now days no one say nothing bad about works - people don’t say nothing or say AMAZING! COOL! etc.
Now, since I am old timer, coming from the times that political correctness was some exotic, unknown creature - I will tell you straight away - this concept is TOO strange. Is not believable creature at all. You see - just that you can mix man, crab, tree, bat, insect, ostrich and connect everything with a bended pipe in the middle - doesn’t mean you should do it. No one did it before? Its original? Well yes. But that’s it. And ORIGINAL isn’t exactly same as GOOD. This character doesn’t look like a creature by itself - it looks exactly like parts of different creatures and objects placed together. I don’t want to just put you down - don’t stop in your attempts but before you go so far with modeling - make a concept or two, look around, ask around. Many people of modern world will not tell you that your work is bad just because they are products of modern society so you need to be best critic for your own work. And after producing some similar concept just look at it and be honest with yourself - is it working? Is it good? Do YOU like it? And whats the story of that character? Make it in your mind more flashy, give him personality not just place parts together.
Amen :smiley:

I want to see how he looks walking. :o

Hi there,

thanks for your replies even the negative ones. Can’t work much on it today have another project which should be finished in a few days. So thanks again.

Hope to keep you people updated in a few days and maybe I can confince even miztli that “art” doesn’t have to be believable it must draw your attention and ultimatly triggers you to discover it.

That said I’m not trying to say that this is something truely stunning but I see some possibillities with this creature.

Cheers.

Worked on muscles and skin today…

[hornhead2fullfront.jpg]hornhead2closeup4.jpg

Attachments

hornhead2fullside.jpg

hornhead2fullquarter.jpg

hornhead2closeup3.jpg

hornhead2closeup2.jpg

hornhead2closeup1.jpg

Hi joostbouwer!

This a very original and interesting creature but I have to agree with Miztli.

Critiques from people like Miztli, are critiques that people should give when trying to help an artist from another artist. People here and in other forums say: Wow! SO COOL, Good job! and things like that when they really know something is not working or doesn’t look right, they are just being in my opinion hypocrites.

What Miztli wrote is completely positive, constructive, and sincere.

I can recommend you to make sketches of this creature. Go online and do a quick research on creatures, animals or maybe insects that might relate to the design you’re trying go for.

Another thing I’ve learned from the 2 years and a couple of months of visiting this forum and looking at other artist create their artwork, I’ve learned that is very important to work first an idea, a design, a story that helps and supports a good sculpture. I got to the conclusion that I rather have a sculpture with no details at all but with a good design, than sculpture full of details but it lacks in design. A lot of people hide their designs with textures and many details that don’t let the viewer see what the real character looks like.

I hope everything goes good with this character and future ones too! Good luck!

F. Javier Loredo

Well actually I didn’t disagree with Mitzli on the way you should design artwork. I am a arts teacher so that’s familiar. But since I am an arts teacher I know that a lot of people especially the ones that calls themself artists, try to sell their personal taste for technical facts…
for example:
look at this dracula creature.
I don’t like it. But the creators have surely done their research and conceptual design. Still I can find lots of elements on this creature to sell my taste for facts…

So I appreciated his reaction and tried to pick up the constructive elements. And since I’m in for a certain style I also look at the work mitzli has produced and I saw that his style is certainly not my style.

But anyway, I need those critics eventhough I might not use them.
So thanks for the reactions.

Joost

well after too many months of not working on this one I finished the texturing and desided to make this model my test object for setting up a pipeline between Zbrush and Blender.
I still have to paint a specular map and maybe a SSS map.
This render took way too long (75min) and especially the face.
So here is the update. Blender render with AO and SSS lit by a AreaLight (low amount of samples). Model consists of 2million polys after subdividing.
hornhead_mat_test.jpg
(this is not the original render. Imagesize is reduced and eyes are painted in post.)

Joost

I personally don’t think this design bad at all, it’s just those anatomy details art not convincing enough, but there’s portential in this model so just keep pushing yourself until it 's polished enough.

Talk about a back ache…
Good sculpt! Really creepy.

Billychutw: Could you point out which anatomy details you’re talking about?

thanks for the reactions!

Joost