Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Default Scared Silly Entry by Rory Little

ScaredSillyDesignSketch01.jpg

My aim is to retain the freshness of the design sketch, without miring the final image in redundant detail. My first thought about this picture is that it should stay away from the highly polished, rendered look. ZB is after all a drawing package and, in the very limited time I have available I'd like to see what can be achieved without resorting to an external renderer, or illustration software.

For anyone who can't recognise what's going on in the sketch, this is a night scene of a bat sitting in a tree, scaring passing folk with a rubber bat. It was the first idea that popped into my head and I think it fits the requirements of the contest in being rather silly!

The sketch was drawn on a subdivided poly plane, with the standard brush, but with a J shaped curve. Rather than painting straight onto the canvas, scratching my marks onto a poly plane gives me the option of rotating the 'paper' to suit the angle of stroke I wish to make. Not many illustration packages stock that feature!

My weekends between now and the deadline are mostly already scheduled for non-ZB duties, so this is going to be a time keeping challenge as well as one of creativity.

Wish me luck!

R

I like the concept good luck with the schedule, most of all have fun.

Sweet idea!

Also I like your approach to drawing a sketch in ZB. I'll try that sometime, thanks for sharing that info!
    TheRazorsEdge

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do."
    - Bruce Lee -

Rory_L,

Excellent idea, both with your challenge concept, and the rotating sketch plane. Thank you for the tip.

And conratulations on focusing more on the non-photoreal aspects of ZBrush. I've been messing around with it's render and the MatCap and agree that attempting an entire photoreal scene with photoreal lighting elements is a bit too time demanding.

Good luck and continue with your innovating techniques.

Here's a quick lighting sketch, worked up in ZB, with a radial gradient thrown over it all in P'shop.

The smudge tool was used to get the feeling of motion and to break up the harsh, graphic lines of the initial drawing. An alpha I use extensively is one generated from a LightWave procedural texture called 'smoky'. This in the brush alpha slot gave me the nice streaking I wanted.

I have to research bats next and hunt the Web for images of trees and rubber toys.

R
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScaredSillyLightingSketch01s.jpg 
Views:	423 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	71000  

New Member Follow User Gallery

Love the concept sketch and the humor, viewing angle on this is great. Only thing I dont like is the highlighted eyebrows, can understand that to maintain the dark and moon lighting from behind it was needed to show the shock\surprise of the victim but it just seems a little, ..off somehow.
    Its probably just me ;p
    Zbrush 3.1 and Lightwave 9.3 User

Thanks, Effulgent3d. I can see what you are concerned about. Let's hope that this image gets its problem points resolved in the end! For now, the bright eyebrows are, as you noticed, necessary for the representation of fear/shock. How this expression will be conveyed in the final illustration has yet to be determined, but I won't forget your point and will pay attention to the eyebrows as I go on.

Here are a few collected bat reference images, trawled from the Net. They might save other contestants the trouble of hunting down their own.

Cheers,

R
    Attached Files Attached Files

silly and fun concept love that second drawing it would make a funny and silly halloween card. keep up the good work.

Starting the figures. Volumes have been begun with z-spheres and slightly edited as adaptive meshes. Here I'll export the model to LightWave and add edges where required and then return that to ZB for further shaping.

ScaredSillyBaseCharacter01.jpg

Looks fun! I like your sketches so far and that method of sketching looks really cool.
    Threads: * - * -* - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * / Tuts: * - * - * - *

KOSOVA
    Guest User Gallery

It looks good and I also like that second sketch a lot. Looking forward to see more.

very cute, it's a good looking concept.

Here is a pic of the basic tree mesh, made from z-spheres, beside a posed version of the base human character, for use as a template for composition.

R

ScaredSillyPosingTest01.jpg

doing everything with Zspheres... I like!

Dynamic! Looking cool.
    Threads: * - * -* - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * / Tuts: * - * - * - *

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast