ZBrushCentral

Inorganic ZBrush

Make something inorganic.

ZBrushCentral you guys are amazing. You make very cool and original characters and monsters. But where is the inorganic stuff?

ZBrushCentral i challenge you to make something inorganic. A robot, car, whatever as long as it is inorganic.

Good luck!

Something inorganic. Not quite done yet… but you get the idea. I’ll try and post a finished one later. I’m kind of surprised more people haven’t given this a shot. Some cars would be nice to see, eh?

Lumin8Spaceship1.jpg

Yah i would really like to see a car or some sort of vehicle

That is very nice keep up the good work. Finally someone has tried my challenge :smiley:

But good work so far i like it :wink:

and your winning :+1: haha thanks for the entry :smiley:

07_10_21_01.jpg

Here’s a mug I made!

I work as an environment artist, and it’s been tough trying to justify zbrush in our daily workflow, seeing as all anyone seems to make are characters. This is a super powerful tool, and I really believe that if you get good enough at it, it can be even quicker than Maya with stuff like terrain, architecture, vehicles and props.

…not that monster heads aren’t cool and all too. :smiley:

This is part of the Jumo004 jet engine that was in the ME262, i planned on doing the whole engine but thanks to all those wonderful crashes in 3.0 i gave up, in fact at this point i’m not sure i’ll ever zbrush again.
Just to note, all the modeling was done at low res and with the Deformation palette ONLY, from primatives, no transpose, no zspheres.
One thing not visible is i actually did the ball bearings in the front oil pump.
ALL ZBRUSH! anything is possible, except getting any sort of answers about the fibre mat, so long all.

frnta.jpg

Attachments

4.jpg

Whoa! awesome stuff guys; finally people are doing my challenge. :smiley: Love the style of the mug.

The engine is great too, i wish you would finish it though :cry: that would be so cool! i love stuff like that

Thanks for your participation guys!

Amazing, spaceboy412! I’m so inspired! I never thought that zb could be used for such technical work. I’m going to have to re-think my workflow. :smiley:

i would participate but im inorganic modelling is rubbish! the only one im pleased with is 1 belt buckle and that wasnt great! haha. i will watch this thread with much interest. also some little tips would be nice.

This is my semi bionic leopard which ive been working on with colour it becomes alot more evident of its inorganicness but anyway i thought i’d post it. Very nice work from everyone else btw.
[Final with no colour.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘75972’,‘Final with no colour.jpg’,1,0))

here’s a gun im tried detailing in zb
base mesh done in xsi

gun_side02.jpg

lumin8,cool!!
how did you make the surface so nice and clean? any trick?
this car I made it all in zbrush,but i’m not satisfied with it:confused:

184257_200710092253521.jpg

OH MY GOD! how did you make the surface so flat?
could you tell us are there any trick or tool in zb for making a prop like this mug.
many thanks!

hi spaceboy…

i for one would like a give and go…on what you did here…looks awesome.

what was your problem with the fibre material that you were trying to get help with? If I had seen it and could help I would have…I know there are some rules …not unruly ones that one should know about it…but we all have learned em trial and error so if we can pass em on to you…we will.

aminuts, i’m not sure i understand “give and go”, the engine and the fibre thread which i eventually cleared are in the past as they say (however zbrush bugs are not), my questions were not noob enough to be answered by someone in the know.

It looks great, janetj. Keep those coming! As far as the surface(s), there really isn’t a trick to it …they’re subtools, subdivided about 7 times. :smiley: Hence the smooth, untesselated look. I’m only running a 512 machine so I can’t subd that many times unless I force it, which isn’t often. I think what you might actually be seeing is, the material I used from the matcap repository.

Off Topic:

janetj: There’s a red paint material in the repository that would probably look awesome with what you’ve got, or you could make your own very easily. I’m thinking about making a thread about how easy matcaps can be to create.

zindrome! that gun is awesome!

[twoMat.JPG](javascript:zb_insimg(‘84928’,‘twoMat.JPG’,1,0))

I will be hardening edges, and his eyes have been etched to look like cameras.

dude thats nuts how did you make that in a sculpting progrm?

NIce, as an architecture student how has recently stubled upon zbrush ive been trying to find a way to incorporate the program as an iniitial modelling phase,(as opposed to rhino or c4d but its been hard to obtain the forms Im looking for, need more post and tips like these, any help is usefull

how were those clean edges on the mug made?

Here’s some tips I’ve learned to make really clean faces/edges:

a) make sure your base mesh is very, very simple and clean, and the topology flows the same as the shapes you’d like to create.
b) rely on the smothing that subdivision does to get your smooth curves, rather than importing an object with all those curves built in.
c) NEVER use the regular “freehand” brushes for anything. They’re just inherently messy. Instead use deformers and opaque masks.
b) pay around a lot with when and where to crease an object. This is probably the most important concept to grasp.
c) Work on as low of a subdivision as humanly possible. If you want a sharp edge, crease it until later. Smooth sweeping curve? don’t crease at all.

Basically, you need to control the shape of an object with nothing but crease levels, simple masks and deformers. No brushes. If you can do that, you’ll have perfectly machined looking stuff.

SN, that is a nice explanation you gave, these are the same methods i used to make that turbine engine previously posted. I also used Edgelooping, polygroups and lasso selection heavily.