ZBrushCentral

Scared Silly Contest: Winners have been announced!

[attach=71479]Banner3.jpg[/attach]

The Winners have been announced! Click here to see the results.

The Challenge

Pixologic is proud to announce our first official contest (sponsored by Wacom)! We plan to have many more such competitions in the future, each with its own theme and focusing on the use of ZBrush. All registered ZBrush users are encouraged to enter, whether running ZBrush 2 or 3.

Since Halloween is just around the corner, we’ve decided to hold this competition in lieu of our traditional event. Your challenge is to conceive and create an image that fits within the “Scared Silly” theme. The idea here is to flex your creative muscles a bit and mix in humor. :laughing:

The image that you create can be an amusing take on a recognizable character’s appearance, put a monster in a funny situation, show a comic side of trick-or-treating – anything you can imagine that would make a Halloween theme funny.

Images may be 3D renders, 2D paintings, or a combination of both (thanks to ZBrush’s 2.5D technology).

Don’t forget about elements such as composition, lighting, environment and atmosphere, expression and body language. The entries will be judged by the entire ZBC community, which includes professional artists and hobbyists alike. Impress them! Images will be judged by the community based on three requirements:

1. Success in portraying the contest theme.
  2. Quality of the finished artwork.
  3. Displayed ZBrush skill in the areas of modeling, texturing, painting and/or rendering.
The Prizes

[attach=70501]Prize_Cintiq.jpg[/attach] [attach=70502]Prize_9x12.jpg[/attach] [attach=70503]Prize_6x8.jpg[/attach]

Grand Prize: Cintiq 21UX. This is the ultimate way to use a pen with ZBrush. Draw directly on the 21" (resolution of 1600x1200) display for increased control, comfort and productivity. Scott Spencer wrote about the experience of working with a Cintiq here. Prize value: $2,499.
[color=black]
First Prize: Intuos3 Special Edition 9x12. In celebration of Wacom’s 25th anniversary, the Intuos3 Special Edition includes several great extras and sports a unique black color scheme. The 9x12 size is valued at $489.

Second Prize: Intuos3 Special Edition 6x8. Like the first prize Special Edition, this tablet includes an additional Classic pen, transparent overlay, and accessory kit. The 6x8 size is valued at $369.

How the Contest will be Run

Since ZBC is geared toward helping artists learn from each other, this challenge will be a WIP (Work in Progress) challenge.

All entrants will be required to create a new thread in the Scared Silly Contest Forum, beginning with an original concept sketch or description and then showing the ongoing progression of the entry until the finished image is finally posted before contest end. All members of the ZBC community are encouraged to participate in the thread, offering constructive feedback and encouragement.

1. All software used in the execution of this contest must be legally licensed copies.
  2. The thread’s title must be: "Scared Silly Entry by Your Name". For example: "Scared Silly Entry by John Smith". First and last names must be given.
  3. The first post in the thread must show a concept sketch and/or detailed description of the image.
  4. Submit your WIP images on a regular basis. This can include test renders, samples of scene elements as they’re completed, character turnaround movies, etc.
  5. It is highly recommended that you participate in the ZBC community by critiquing other challenger's works in the respective threads and responding to the comments of others in your own thread.
  6. Submit your final entry before the end of the challenge on 2 November 2007. Absolutely no late entries will be accepted. Information for how to submit your final image will be made available to all entrants in the last week of the competition.
  7. Failure to present WIP images and interact with the ZBC community (including other entrants) can result in disqualification, preventing the artist from being included for final judging.
  8. After the deadline, all qualified entrants will be showcased in a single new thread. The ZBC community will then have the opportunity to vote for the winning images (one vote per member). Winners will be announced following the voting process.
  9. All winners will be required to write "making of" articles accompanied with high resolution work-in-progress stills within one week of contest end, which will then be featured at ZBrushCentral and on the Pixologic website.
Contest Official Rules
  1. One thread/entry per artist. Should you change your concept, the new work must continue within the original thread.
  2. All ZBrushCentral members with a registered copy of ZBrush (version 2 or 3) may enter the Scared Silly Challenge. ZBC membership is free of charge.
  3. Employees of sponsors may participate in the WIP phase of the challenge, but are not eligible for the contest. Such participation must be labeled as "Non-Entry" in each post in which a WIP image is shown.
  4. The emphasis of the challenge is on the use of ZBrush. The majority of the effort put into creating the image should be done with ZBrush. (Other software packages may be used in the creation of the image, provided that their use is clearly stated and that the majority of the work is done within ZBrush.)
  5. Pre-fabricated models may only be used as a starting point and their use must be clearly disclosed. Terrain and foliage generation software is allowed also. Keep in mind that the contest is being judged by your peers. Your image will achieve better impact if you create all elements from scratch than if you resort to using anything that is recognizably pre-fabricated.
  6. The use of copyrighted elements is not allowed.
  7. Any image deemed to be the same or similar (in whole or in part) to one currently published by yourself or any other artist will be disqualified.
  8. Any image deemed to contain content that depicts explicit acts that are overtly violent, sexual, cruel or brutal will be disqualified. Such entries may, at Pixologic’s sole discretion, be closed during the WIP phases of the contest.
  9. The challenge runs four weeks, from September 28, 2007 - November 2, 2007. No late entries will be accepted.
  10. Judging runs November 5, 2007 – November 11, 2007.
  11. Winners will be announced on November 16, 2007.
  12. All dates are based on the U.S. Pacific Time zone. Entry and voting deadlines are at 11:59 pm on the date in question.
  13. To be eligible for prizes, all winning contestants must provide detailed "making of" articles for the Pixologic website. These articles must be provided to Pixologic between the dates of November 16, 2007 and November 23, 2007. Instructions for their delivery will be made available at time.
  14. The sponsors of this contest (Pixologic and Wacom) may use final or winning artwork for marketing purposes in the context of the challenge, and agree to clearly credit the artist if any such artwork is used.
  15. All entries are the property of the respective artists. Pixologic may use submitted artwork for the purpose of promoting this or future contests. If any artist's work is used in this manner, the artist will be credited.
Disclaimer: Pixologic reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any entry that does not adhere to the spirit of ZBrushCentral and these rules. If you do not agree with any of the above terms and conditions, please do not enter the Scared Silly Challenge.

Above all, have fun! We look forward to seeing what you scare up. :slight_smile:

The Pixologic team

[attach=70512]Thumb3.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

Thumb3.jpg

Banner3.jpg

very nice idea lol

I really like the humor idea. I guess it is time to stop this occasional lurking and join in. Sounds like fun. :+1:

:+1: HAHA sounds awesome :slight_smile:

Excellent, Aurick! :slight_smile:

I was actually going to issue a ‘challenge’ to all the great artists around here myself! The Halloween season is my favorite time of the year.

But this - and with Wacom sponsoring - is just superior!!

I’m brand new to ZBrush, and only up to page 45 of the Practical Manual, so I seriously doubt I’ll be able to produce anything that soon, but I’ll be very satisfied just to sit back and watch all the ghoulish fun around here!!

And with a humorous twist, too! Knock 'em dead, guys!
:smiley:

wow niceeeee! :+1: :+1:

Very cool initiative. Thanks :+1:

Looking forward to being inspired, enlightened and scared silly.

Man, would it be nice to utilize Zapplink with 3.1 for this contest…

:cry:

wow… now thats a comp i can really get me teeth into

Great idea, lets all stock up on the “midnight oil”…

See items 7 & 8 of the Official Rules section.

The exception would be something like Dracula or Frankenstein’s Monster. Those characters are iconic with the original source material being public domain, and so would be fair game. But you would need to be especially careful to not use the character in a way that has been done before.

Nice idea, gonna’ be exciting to witness! :+1:

WOW…it must be really cool…thank you !!!

Argh! This is going to be tough! I’m brand new to ZBrush and I’m working on a VERY low spec laptop… but ya know what! I’m gonna give this a go!

This is going to be fun! I just hope I can bring one of those creatures form my twisted dreams to life!

:+1: :laughing:

YEAH! I’M IN

Pete B

Dam I’m leavin to Thailand on moday for two weeks :stuck_out_tongue: lets see mabe i can do it hehe, Ill be creative on the plane

PEace out

Cool idea, this is a lot like CG Talk’s challenges which I like.

One question: Does this have to be a “ZBrush only” render?
In other words, is importing a mesh from an outside program or rendering such images outside of ZBrush allowed?

Oops, I’ve read the rules again and I guess I’ve answered my own question to a degree, but when it says “majority”, to what degree does that mean?

Sounds fun to me :slight_smile:

Ohhh… this is a cool idea. Just wish I had an idea of what to model. I could really do with a new Wacom. I must get thinking. :slight_smile:

MX