ZBrushCentral

Imagine: PolyPainting & ZAppLink Video Tutorial

[]

Hello All,

While working on a new image called Imagine I created this tutorial for using ZBrush PolyPainting and ZAppLink as well as a quick use of Transpose.

To watch the movie press the play button in the timeline directly below the movie. This movie is directly embedded into the ZBrushCentral post.

I hope you enjoy and happy ZBrushing. :slight_smile:

Ryan

[screencast]0a9d0460-feb4-4526-8951-4f5576931c59_c692ee5c-6eeb-4d95-ba20-597083bae741_static_0_0_ZBrush_PolyPainting_ZAppLink.mov [/screencast]

Click here for a direct link.

[]ZBrush_PolyPainting_ZAppLink_thumb.jpgZBrush_PolyPainting_ZAppLink_Imagine.jpg

Ryan…not often we are witness to the precreation of co-mingled vibrancy :slight_smile:

Nice painting.

Thx for the Vid. Very informative.

I liked the imbed :+1: … convenient. I wish there was a way with .mov inbeds to go full screen.

Why not make it a sticky?

Hello,

I have continued with the Imagine image and have another character, a female, added to the scene. They are both staring off into the distance at some new idea, some new thing that only they can see right now. The wind is blowing and they are waiting to see what will happen.

I recommend copying the shading information ZAppLink sends into a new unlocked layer and experimenting with the different blending modes, too. Color Dodge and Soft Light both give very cool illustrative qualities to the image.

RyanImagine_Final.jpg

Attachments

Imagine_Final.jpg

wooooooow…

cool tutorial ryan! thank you much! zapplink with polypainting (?!) … coooool.

jin

I would love to see that tut Ryan, but the in-post movie setup doesn’t work so well with my Firefox and Explorer browser. A loose download link would be much appreciated!
Thanks for taking time to learn us how to use Zbrush to the max! :+1: :+1:

Thx for your time…but not working!
bye
leo

Hi Ryan,

Your video works fine here - I’m using Firefox2.

Personally, the ZApplink part of the demo was most helpful - I’m beginning to see the possibilities! Thanks.

Sven

I couldn’t watch it in-browser. Downloaded the file (Quicktime Pro’s save-as-source), and it didn’t work locally either.

More specifically, the video keeps pausing while the audio keeps going. You can keep double-clicking the pause button, but that gets old fast.

Opened the file in VLC instead of Quicktime Player – that worked great.

(this may be a Mac thing if some of us are encountering it and others are not)

Great video, by the way. Thanks for posting this!

Click here for a direct link.

The movie is compressed in h.264 so it will require the latest Quicktime version. Let me know if there are any other problems.

Thanks for the kind words. :slight_smile:

Ryan

as i see you can paint some views at the same PSD file…its amazing !!..thank you for video tutorial…

…in the wind ! :smiley:

Wow thanks so much! I have to try that :slight_smile:

Further work on this image:

I’m not sure where these guys are going but I am taking it a step at a time with them.

The clouds were quickly created in ZBrush and then transfered to the Photoshop document via ZAppLink. After quickly texturing them, I converted the shading layer’s blending mode over to vivid light and it gave a very interesting illustrative quality.

Thanks,

Ryan

Thanks very much for your wisdom sharing, We only keep what we have by giving it away:+1:
I was wondering what the point was to using zapp nowadays, seeing as you can now paint straight in the zbrush viewport without even using the projection master. but i do see its use’s now…
not that iv ever even used ZAPP before and some zbrush stuff is still all new to me. iv just been doing loads of tinkering .
plus Iv been hanging round here for years just watching cool stuff being made:sunglasses:.
long live the Z
PS The vid plays in the browser for me. all fine

Hello. :slight_smile:

Here is the final version of this image:

[](javascript:zb_insimg(‘73340’,‘imagine_clouds.jpg’,1,0))

The elements were created in ZBrush and composited in Photoshop. MatCap materials were great for getting the look I wanted into Photoshop.

One interesting tip for getting great clouds into Photoshop is to sculpt them first in ZBrush! Send them over to photoshop via ZAppLink, copy the shading layer into a new layer and set its blending mode to Difference or Exclusion. Gives a very nice effect. I left mine with Hardlight and the MatCap White01 material for the illustrative effect.

[](javascript:zb_insimg(‘73341’,‘imagine_clouds_breakdown.jpg’,1,0))

Thanks,

Ryanimagine_clouds.jpgimagine_clouds_breakdown.jpg

Attachments

imagine_clouds.jpg

imagine_clouds_breakdown.jpg

Thanks Ryan for sharing this, always good to see your work.

very insightful tut, have to start using zapplink;)

Bimm

Always such great tutorials communicated with such ease and clarity.

Many thanks.

Many thanks Ryan!
never used Zapplink before and I think I’m gonna need it for the challenge! :wink:

Cheers
Lucky