ZBrushCentral

Scared Silly Entry by Vin Rowe

Hey, this will be fun! I usually draw a Halloween card each year, but why not do it in ZBrush? Actually, I don’t think I’ve ever made a complete illustration in ZBrush, so that will be worthwhile too. Here’s a lousy sketch to get me started:
[initalSketch.jpg]

Basically it’s just a kid that’s scared silly… Maybe not much of a narrative, but it’ll be good, okay?

looking forward 2 it

How silly? What is your plan to show that he is scared silly, and not just scared? By the way the image is great!

Anthony Romrell

Thanks for even looking! There seem to be lots of entries here, hope no one gets lost in the shuffle…
amronellc, I think you’re right that this lacks a certain amount of silliness. My plan is to be punch it up a little with the kid. I was originally thinking I’d do the “Tex Avery eyes bugging out of the head” thing, but we’ll see.

I actually have to move pretty quickly on this, so here’s one of my spooks, with and without his extrees:
[[attach=73914]spook.jpg[/attach]]spook.jpg

And here he is from ZSpheres to pretty much finished:
[[attach=73915]g_spook.jpg[/attach]]g_spook.jpg

The mask and the hands are separate subtools:
[[attach=73916]s_details.jpg[/attach]]s_details.jpg

After doing this the guy looked pretty familiar to me, and my wife and I both agreed that he looks like (watch out, this might be obscure) Gonzo’s relatives when they first show up at the end of Muppets in Space. I wish I could find some pictures online to confirm that, but I can’t seem to.

Great start! We will all be looking over our shoulders as the late starter comes roaring up from behind :wink:
Jason

Hurry up man!!!the clock is tickin’ and this is gunna rock. good luck!

Thanks guys! I made some ground… I mean literally made some ground for this particular tableaux. It’s just one piece that started out as the terrain ZTool:
[[attach=73943]b_terrain.jpg[/attach]]b_terrain.jpg
Might look a little on the simple side, but I want to go subtle for now.

great start

Very Cool Work Vincenzo! :sunglasses: :+1:

hands look great!

Thank ye thank ye! I have a couple more things that don’t look great by themselves, but are going to look good later I think. First some clouds that started off as ZSpheres and then got the blob brush treatment:
[[attach=73955]i_clouds.jpg[/attach]]i_clouds.jpg

And then there’s the moon. This was a sphere that I squished in and then deleted the back face of to manage more subdivision. Then I made an alpha from a photo of the moon and sculpted/painted with it. Later I’ll use the glow material and it’ll look a little fancier:
[f_moon.jpg]

I also like Da hands…Da humor was a bit obscure. :slight_smile:

Gotta Love Tex Avery! Good luck.

great illistration, and the models look great, can’t wait to see it all together.

Here’s perhaps the final piece, the kid! He ended up being a little less than Tex Averyish (http://www.texavery.com/shots/wolf13.jpg), but it still gets the point across I think. He’s all dressed up to throw a scare on somebody else, but uh:
[scaredyKid.jpg]

I figured I’d also post a little progressive thing of the kid even though he’s very very simply contructed. I’ve actually done a bunch of test renders of the finished picture, so I’ll be posting that next I think… It’s always hard to call something done, especially if the deadline is a few days out. Anyway, here’s the kid again:
[k_process.jpg]