ZBrushCentral

Video Lessons In Zbrush (cannedmushrooms style)

Level breakdown

Noob = I’m a traditional artist that has just discovered a mouse and having a hard time with how a pencil wont work on my monitor.

Mid = Im a 3D artist that is coming from another 3D package, but really never learned the first one all that well. So I’m basically looking for a 3D Package that is easyier to use.
Basically making you a noob in two 3D Packages.

High= I have mastered a major 3D package. And have some traditional skills as an artist. When people talk to me I faze them out because I’m thinking “gees I wonder if I could sculpt a head from a goat onto a squirrel”

Masterful nerdium= I have Zbrush Running on your Cell phone and have discovered it is more stable than my PC version. Sometimes my hover-round at work looses its bluetooth signal so I have to update its firmware with telepathy.

Lesson 1 (Noob level)
Video Dealing with Navigation within Zbrush and how to start off if you were a complete noob to the program It was produced in Zbrush 3.0
[veoh]v91451765yhe8Kr[/veoh]
Lesson Files

Lesson 1 Recap (Noob level)
Video Dealing with Navigation within Zbrush and how to start off if you were a complete noob to the program It was produced in Zbrush 3.1
This deals with how to use these videos with the newest brushes. Explains such things as where the heck did the tweak brush went.
[veoh]v1010770RjsXjgxc[/veoh]

Lesson 2 Prequel (Noob level)
More Brush Information that you will need before you start sculpting a human skull in the next lesson
[veoh]v1010771CSJ5KeE7[/veoh]
Lesson Files

Lesson 2 (Noob level)
Sculpting a Human Skull using Image Planes

[veoh]v1410950mBtD4E3Y[/veoh]

Lesson Files

Lesson 3 (Noob level)
Lesson Dealing with Render Passes with Zbrush and Photoshop
[veoh]v914515ZG4S6qNX[/veoh]
Lesson Files

Lesson 4 (Mid level)
Making a simple Biped out of Zspheres an teh settings that will work correctly with poseable sym.
[veoh]v1409314ap8fAkyw[/veoh]
Lesson Files

Lesson 5 (Mid level)
Building Good UVS in a free program called Blender and how to switch the UVS
[veoh]v1130993cwD4KfWZ[/veoh]
Lesson Files

Lesson 6 (Mid level)
Sculpting High Res Detail on an Object
[veoh]v914521pm7p5QFE[/veoh]
Lesson Files

Lesson 7 (Mid level)
Using the Painting Tools
Cavity Masking
[veoh]v914518nJd5mwws[/veoh]

Lesson 8 (Mid level)
Modeling with Subtools TOPO tools and how to use them
[veoh]v941627eecm2aCb[/veoh]
Lesson Files

Lesson 9 (high level)
Rigging and posing your model
[veoh]v1013323WQyb4r8P[/veoh]
Lesson Files

Lesson 10 (high level)
Poseing your Mesh accross Programs
Using Maya to pose
[veoh]v1409317sWDYqqRM[/veoh]
Lesson Files

Lesson 11 (high level)
This is my Complete workflow for doing 16 bit and 32 bit Displacements/ normal / color / spectral maps on the characters and how to render in mental ray
[veoh]v1010769atcExB6y[/veoh]
Color Map

[veoh]v1010774qzx4dejg[/veoh]
32 Bit Displacements

[veoh]v1010772xYgrDwES[/veoh]
16 Bits Displacements

[veoh]v1010773HTa8t6ay[/veoh]
Spectral Map
Lesson Files

Lesson 12 (Mid level)
This lesson I will be making an axe and showing how to use the TOPO tools to produce weapons very fast.
Part 1
[veoh]v1409319cMmS4znN[/veoh]

Part 2
[veoh]v1409320c9MmNa5W[/veoh]

Lesson 13 (high level)
Multi UV range in Blender / Zbrush
[veoh]v1034237bBrmF2A5[/veoh]

Lesson 14 (high level)
Crash course on how to animate your Zbrush character in Maya
[veoh]v10454013wKCJRTy[/veoh]
LessonFiles

Lesson 15 (Noob level)
How to Setup your image planes with new pictures in Zbrush
[veoh]v1042151jdyRWkyZ[/veoh]
LessonFiles

Lesson 16 (Noob level)
How the Zbrush Lighting System Works
[veoh]v1074846jabmB44z[/veoh]

Lesson 17 (Mid level)
Shapeing a human face
[veoh]v1119616etTNzMX2[/veoh]

[veoh]v1277915NkmwCErN[/veoh]

More uploading now
(Went to lunch)

Ok so these are the popular lessons that were most requested and outside the lesson based tutorials.

Transfering Hair from Maya to Zbrush
[veoh]v11232485XMC9mzN[/veoh]

Lesson Files

Rendering SSS in MAYA with all the painted textures from Zbrush.
Part 1 of 8

[veoh]v14055856wgghmas[/veoh]
For the Rest of the series go here
http://www.veoh.com/series/houseoftexture
Lesson Files

Rendering Glass in Mental Ray
You zbrush stuff will never look better;)
[veoh]v1459467Jbey9gsB[/veoh]

Hello Canned,

I just wanted to say thank you for your wonderful vis. I am relatively new to ZBrush and these have been a big help. I was wondering though, if you were going to re-post vid number 2?

ya its on its way I’m having a tuff time getting veoh to swallow it;)
but all the Zbrush videos will be in here soon;)

Many thanks again!

Hey It’s Me Again.

I couldn’t help but notice that Lesson 11 is missing part 3, It has part one listed twice, part 2 and part 4. Just thought you would want to know about it.

Hello, me again. I am interested in purchasing the lessons that carry a fee. How do I do this?

Also where do I find your Maya lessons?

I just wanted to say that I love your tutorials and lessons. They are difficult enough for me to have to work my butt off. Also in your vids you refer to your class? Is this a class you teach in real life of do you teach via the internet?

mali
All the lessons should be free now.
I’m updating veoh a little at a time but sooner or later they should all be up on veoh.com

Maya lessons are located in my signature at the boot of this post.

I teach both at Career and Technical level. Which is like a really well funded pre college for grades 11 and 12 and as a college instructor at a local college here in Jackson Michigan.

The videos were first developed for the 11th and 12th graders since there is one of me and 50 of them. This way the students are at their own pace and I just answer questions.

But at the college I give the students a video disk And tell them to watch the videos in their spare time. :wink:

Glad they are helping you out;)

Wow, thank you!

I have found that only lessons 21 and 18 still have price tags on just so you know.

I sure would have loved a course in something like this in high school.

Well I will keep working at it for sure as I am having a great time.

doh thought I had all those free

I’m re uploading 18 and 21

thanks mala

i have to show my thanks to canned mushrooms for these videos, if it wasnt for people like you a lot of us would be too detered from 3D modelling, so thankyou canned mushrooms!!! :smiley:

GENIUS:+1: :+1:

Hey there Jason :smiley:

First I must say, you are a GOD in my 3D Bible, which happens to be full of a million text-tutorials that I never cared to follow, until I came across your video tutorials =) Thank you so much for making these. It’s been a while since I looked up your videos. When I first came across them, there were only 10 and they were mainly focused on zbrush and a bit of maya integration. I was recently planning to buy some Gnomon dvds just to learn how to create specular maps and I came across your videos once again realizing I didn’t have to waste a nickel :lol: So once again, thank you…

Now, I have a little problem and google isn’t helping me answer clearly enough for me to follow. I’m on lesson 10 of your videos. At the very end, you imported your .obj from maya back into zbrush. Now that I can easily follow, and I my model isn’t exploding everywhere or anything. However, I did notice that it is completely mirrored from the model I had in maya. I even noticed this when watching your video.

In maya, you posed the character to where his right arm is the one strutting forward and his left is swinging backwards. But when you imported it into zbrush, it was the opposite and his left arm was the one strutting forward, etc. I was just wondering if maybe you had a way of fixing this or is there some way to mirror it back? I’m not sure if I would need to change some kind of axis in maya or if there was a simple mirror button I can use in zbrush.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and once again thank you for all these videos!

ok disregard that last post. haha. I went through a good 20 minutes looking for a mirror button in zbrush and finally found one. :rolleyes: But thx in advance for reading the last post

beach you might want to check your Import/export settings in preferences, there are buttons that flip your model there.

thanks for these lessons. They are helping me out a ton.

Promote.jpg

This video is great for peeps that are using maya to produce sculptable meshes in Zbrush. It’s a fast way to stitch together Forms of the body and start seeing large masses as shapes.

[veoh]v1684529GaKJtpxG[/veoh]

New and improved audio also (thanks santa for new audio mixer)

Happy Holidays!

Keep 'em coming mate!
like so many others I am indebted to you for your generosity and patience. Your brilliant method of teaching makes yours a beloved name among ZBrush beginners, and quite a few pros I bet. I still check into your Veoh site when I want to brush up on a subject that is giving me grief. This lesson set is one of the great ZBrush resources, and should probably be on the disc.

Many thanks from one of your multitude of grateful students.

Hey, Jason!

It seems you have completed your migration to Veoh. Great! Congratulations. Now, I have no complaints, ever, about your willingness to teach, to share, so anything I offer is simply in the spirit of comment. The biggest difference I see in your Veoh presentations and your Camtasia downloads is in the area of visual clarity. In your personal downloads the typefaces in the menus were crystal clear and easily read. The typefaces in the Veoh films are quite blurred. And while I can figure out the clicks and selections from familiarity with the program, some noobs might be frustrated by an inability to read the text in the tool bars and menus. Minor point but I thought you might want an objective opinion on appearance.

I am new to Veoh so my ensuing comments might not make sense. I take that chance. When played in Full-Screen mode, there appear to be no ‘Play’ controls. When I hit ‘Pause’ the video stops and restarts from the beginning. There is no scroll bar. Because I have ‘Real Player’ on my machine I am always afforded the option of downloading to Real Player. So, I do. Because I have ‘Play’ controls at Full-Screen.

Final Note. I have looked at a lot of books and articles and forum tutorials but your videos have helped me the most. I think this is because your teachings are a ‘Living Document’ that you continuously update to stay current with the software and your personal experience with it. So, a big ‘Thank You’ for your effort and experimentation. I have benefitted greatly and look forward to the New Year and your continued success.

Merry Christmas! (In a non-denominational kind of way)

~S.~

thanks snark and slash;)

Ya snark they have this feature in camtasia that lets you export WMV at a higher RES but it says I need to install Windows media encoder. SO away I went to download it, and install it, and after beating my head against the keyboard for a few days trying to get to work I realize that the button is just a fancy way to turn on my neighbors bathroom light on and off. I placed an order to santa for camtasia 5.0 which hopefully exports at a higher res;)

Merry Christmas to you also, Ala be praised, and shalome (did a miss anything there heh)