Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Default Z-Brush 3.1 & external UVs workflow. No more exploding OBJs!

th.jpg
    So after countless hours of frustration and headaches, I have found the ultimate solution.
    First of all I'm going to explain how my workflow used to be:

1. Create a basemesh, with ZSphere or from another package.
    2. In Zbrush I would model and polypaint the mesh without paying any attention to the UV.
    3. Then I would go to the 1st subdivision level and export it.
    4. Unwrapp the mesh with headus UVLayout and export it.
    5. In Zbrush I would replace the 1st subdivision level with the unwrapped one.
    6. Everything would work perfectly.

(Note: I'm using headus UVLayout, but this tutorial may apply to other external apps, such as 3dsmax)

This workflow does NOT work with Z-Brush 3.1. And who’s fault is it? It’s not the OBJs fault as everybody claims it is… it’s Z-Brush 3.1. This tutorial will be very helpful for those of you, who have your finished model sitting in Zbrush 3.1 without proper UVs.

You will need Zbrush 3.0 and Zbrush 3.1. You can either install both on the same machine or uninstall and install the different versions when the time comes. To avoid the whole flip flop, I would suggest installing both versions.

Alright, all set? Here we go!

This my noseless alien I did a while back. I never managed to give him proper UV’s till now. The model has 5 subdivision levels and is polypainted. I applied GUV tiles. It doesn’t really matter how your UV look, as long as it has one.

Step01.jpg

The first thing we will need to do, is to transfer the color information to a bitmap, so that later on, in Zbrush 3.0 we can transfer that information back from the bitmap to the ZTool.

Click on “Texture” and set the Width and Height to a high number. The bigger the bitmap, the more color information will be stored. Now click on “New”. Your model will turn into the color you have selected. In my case it would be white.

Step03.jpg

Now go to the “Texture” palette and click on “Col>Txr”. This will transfer the colors to the bitmap.

Step04.jpg

Now export it, and save it as a psd.

Step05.jpg

Fine. Now we will have to export the Ztool as an obj. First of all, make sure the “importexport” configuration is like the one in the screenshot.

Step06.jpg

Step07.jpg

Now you are ready to export. You’ll have to export the lowest and highest subdivision level. The highest subdivision level may take a while to export. Also, remember how many subdivisions your model has, we will need this information later on.

Step08.jpg

In Zbrush 3.0 we will make sure our “importexport” configuration looks like this:

Step09.jpg

Import the lowest subdivision level and draw it to the canvas if you want.

Step10.jpg

Divide the mesh until you match the same amount of subdivisions your Ztool had.

Step11.jpg

In the highest subdivision level, import the high res OBJ. It may take a while, too. At least with my PC it does. It should look like this:

Step12.jpg

Go up and down through the subdivision levels, and make sure they all look fine. Go back to the highest subdivision level and import the psd file we generated at the beginning.

Step13.jpg

Now we will transfer the color information from the PSD to the Ztool. To do so, go to the Texture palette and click on “Txr>Col”

Step14.jpg

Your screen should look like this. (Notice, there is no texture active, it is embedded in the Ztool )

Step15.jpg

Alright. Now go back to the first subdivision level and export it with the following configuration.

Step16.jpg

Now run headus UVLayout and load the obj you just exported. Make sure the “New” button is pressed.

Step17.jpg

Now unwrap your model, and when you are done, click on “update”. Select the obj you exported and hit the big green “Update” button. Now you can close headus UVLayout.

Step18.jpg

Back in Zbrush 3.0, go to the lowest subdivision level and import the obj with the “–uvlayout” denomination at the end.

Step19.jpgI suggest you move your way up slowly to the highest subdivision level. Let Zbrush adjust the new UV to the different subdivision levels. You are pretty much done now. Save the Ztool, go back to Zbrush 3.1, open it and generate the textures, displacement maps or whatever!

Step20.jpg

Hope it helps! All I’m asking in return is a job! Lol just kidding… (not really lol)
    Last edited by Norman3D; 01-13-08 at 09:43 AM.

Cool Cool...mini...

...tut!
    This will help with no doubt many people
    Is beautiful that please without concept! ( Me and maybe also E Kant)
    Pilou's Galerie Pilou's Tips Tuts Page
    Cameyo's ZPlace Art Surfing Albums
    Dedicaces Perpetual Challenges
    French Pixologic Site

Hi.

Looks good.

What is 'headus' ?

~S.~

Quote Originally Posted by SNARK
    Hi.

Looks good.

What is 'headus' ?

~S.~
    headus UVLayout is the name of a unwrap software. It is my favourite. You can use any other application instead. Maya, 3dsmax, XSI, whatever you are using.

Thanks, Norman, for the quick response.

Will 'Blender' (Share Ware / Free Ware) work for this?

~S.~

yes, it should work. If it doesn't, it's because the application screws the vertex order. You'll need a plugin of some sort to properly import and export the objs.

how do i install both version at the same time? if 3.1 is only a upgrade for 3?

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=53087
    lesson 5 for blender
    yes it will work just the same.
    I almost like it better.
    Of course if your new to blender it can look pretty scary

I installed Zbrush 3.0 first. Then I made a copy of the folder and renamed it. Then I updated Zbrush 3.1. You should have the 3.0 version working well in the copied folder aswell as Zbrush 3.1 in the default folder.

Good tutorial, thanks a bunch

But i'm wondering how this is done in Zbrush 3.1 now ?! if it can be done and if so how. Or if there's another method to do this..

/ Max

well, it just cant be done. this is just a workaround. But notice its still Zbrush 3.1 in the end. You need to bring Zbrush 3.0 in the workflow tho.

New Member Follow User Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Norman3D
    th.jpg
    So after countless hours of frustration and headaches, I have found the ultimate solution.
    First of all I'm going to explain how my workflow used to be:

1. Create a basemesh, with ZSphere or from another package.
    2. In Zbrush I would model and polypaint the mesh without paying any attention to the UV.
    3. Then I would go to the 1st subdivision level and export it.
    4. Unwrapp the mesh with headus UVLayout and export it.
    5. In Zbrush I would replace the 1st subdivision level with the unwrapped one.
    6. Everything would work perfectly.

(Note: I'm using headus UVLayout, but this tutorial may apply to other external apps, such as 3dsmax)

This workflow does NOT work with Z-Brush 3.1. And who***8217;s fault is it? It***8217;s not the OBJs fault as everybody claims it is***8230; it***8217;s Z-Brush 3.1. This

I use this same workflow since ZB2 days and it always works... maybe its one of your programs that is messing around with the .obj point order.

I frequently make the UVs in Blender, Wings3D, Modo, XSi, Roadkill etc (so at least 4 diferent programs) and I dont have exploding Meshes unless I change the point order.

Im using 3dsmax and headus UVLayout. Both do not work with zbrush 3.1 they work perfectly with zbrush 3.0 tho. So I guess it's not the objs problem. Again, they do work perfectly with 3.0

New Member Follow User Gallery

Humm.. I dont have use neither Max or Headus, can you test a simple thing? Grab the Free Blender or Wings 3D and import the UV .obj into them, then export it from there and see if ZB 3.1 still has issues.

I will! I'll post the results as soon as I find some time.
    Another thing that is kinda okward... When I export the obj from zbrush, and I bring it in right after (the obj is untouched) it explodes! Which makes me believe that Zbrush 3.1 has trouble importing objs... even the ones it just exported!

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast