ZBrushCentral

Z-Brush 3.1 & external UVs workflow. No more exploding OBJs!

[[th.jpg]Step20.jpg

Hope it helps!  All I’m asking in return is a job! Lol just kidding…    (not really lol)

Attachments

Step01.jpg

Step03.jpg

Step04.jpg

Step05.jpg

Step06.jpg

Step07.jpg

Step08.jpg

Step09.jpg

Step10.jpg

Step11.jpg

Step12.jpg

Step13.jpg

Step14.jpg

Step15.jpg

Step16.jpg

Step17.jpg

Step18.jpg

Step19.jpg

…tut! :smiley:
This will help with no doubt many people :+1:

Hi.

Looks good.

What is ‘headus’ ?

~S.~

headus UVLayout is the name of a unwrap software. It is my favourite. You can use any other application instead. Maya, 3dsmax, XSI, whatever you are using.

Thanks, Norman, for the quick response.

Will ‘Blender’ (Share Ware / Free Ware) work for this?

~S.~

yes, it should work. If it doesn’t, it’s because the application screws the vertex order. You’ll need a plugin of some sort to properly import and export the objs.

how do i install both version at the same time? if 3.1 is only a upgrade for 3? :rolleyes:

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=53087
lesson 5 for blender
yes it will work just the same.
I almost like it better.
Of course if your new to blender it can look pretty scary

I installed Zbrush 3.0 first. Then I made a copy of the folder and renamed it. Then I updated Zbrush 3.1. You should have the 3.0 version working well in the copied folder aswell as Zbrush 3.1 in the default folder.

Good tutorial, thanks a bunch :slight_smile:

But i’m wondering how this is done in Zbrush 3.1 now ?! if it can be done and if so how. Or if there’s another method to do this…

/ Max

well, it just cant be done. this is just a workaround. But notice its still Zbrush 3.1 in the end. You need to bring Zbrush 3.0 in the workflow tho.

I use this same workflow since ZB2 days and it always works… maybe its one of your programs that is messing around with the .obj point order.

I frequently make the UVs in Blender, Wings3D, Modo, XSi, Roadkill etc (so at least 4 diferent programs) and I dont have exploding Meshes unless I change the point order.

Im using 3dsmax and headus UVLayout. Both do not work with zbrush 3.1 they work perfectly with zbrush 3.0 tho. So I guess it’s not the objs problem. Again, they do work perfectly with 3.0

Humm… I dont have use neither Max or Headus, can you test a simple thing? Grab the Free Blender or Wings 3D and import the UV .obj into them, then export it from there and see if ZB 3.1 still has issues.

I will! I’ll post the results as soon as I find some time.
Another thing that is kinda okward… When I export the obj from zbrush, and I bring it in right after (the obj is untouched) it explodes! Which makes me believe that Zbrush 3.1 has trouble importing objs… even the ones it just exported!

Now thats a really strange thing, ZB3.1 should not do that and I have never seen that happen, the only thing that ZB does and it is retarded is Exporting the 16 bit .tiffs and then it cannot load them back, we nedd to go to PS and re-save it as a .PSD file… yes it is retarded to say the least.

I was browsing other forum and noticed that a User was having problems with LW and Headus UV… maybe Headus is re-ordering the point order.

Take a look:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=647076&postcount=15

I have had no problems with headus UVLayout and 3dsmax. When I hit the update button (which theoretically should not touch the vertex order) and import it to 3dsmax, its fine. To test if the vertex order is untouched I apply a morpher to the original obj (with UVs untouched) and assign the obj from headus UV Layout to one of the channels. I then move the slider, and everything is perfectly fine, so no vertex order is changed.

I was going to say that maybe Zbrush 3.1 cant handle objs with triangles or npolys, but the model i used has no triangle at all. Its all 100% quads. I’m running out of possible explanations here…

Also, the mayor problem here, is that it works with Zbrush 3.0 but for some weird reason it doesnt in 3.1. Lets suppose the obj that headus UVLayout or 3dsmax exports, has the vertex order changed. Well, it doesnt seem to be a problem if you are using Zbrush 3.0… But if you are using 3.1, it just wont work…

Can you more specific about what is not working with ZBrush 3.1 and UVLauout?I made a quick test following your step and i imported the update obj in the first level and work fine.
Andreseloy

ok. now I’m confused. Maybe it’s my Zbrush’s fault. But I tried reinstalling and the problem was still there. oh, Transpose master doesnt work either. But besides these two problems everything is fine… Read the first post, at the beginning with the workflow, thats how it should work. It seems it does work in your case. I’m going to install zbrush on a fresh formated PC, lets see what happens…

Similar to andreseloy’s experience, I’ve had no problems with UVLayout and
3.1 (as I think I also posted in another thread of yours about this). Based
upon the sheer number of threads relating to 3dsmax and Zbrush, I’d be more
apt to think something is going on with .obj export from there (and point
order).

Also, I thought it was impossible to export from XSI 6.02 to Z3.1 without
exploding, but there’s an option to use local coordinates instead of world,
and that retains the proper point order…so I’m guessing there’s something
similar going on with Max.

WailingMonkey