ZBrushCentral

Painting Textures and UVs in Zbrush to Photoshop and Back Again

This is the second tutorial I’ve posted here. The first one on Retopology got some good response, so here is another one. I’ve taken out the big arrows from before, but the circles and explanations are very clear. This was made for my new students, but I’m sure some of you will find it useful also.

This tutorial has every step you will need to master UVs in Zbrush, and how to fix them in Maya so you can get tetures out to Photoshop, and back in again to Poly paint more. With this workflow, you can go back and forth as many times as you want with no errors.

http://www.jcappelletti.com/z3tut02/

-JC
[attach=82140]Picture 60.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

Picture 60.jpg

Just pick up a wacom, this is gona be great… :smiley:

Hey, just glanced at your tutorial, looks great and very clear. I have been looking for a tutorial like this for a while now, thanks a lot for posting it up. Will get started right away!

Looks like a good tutorial, but I noticed it had some Maya-specific parts to it. Now I doubt I’d be able to do this sort of thing in Max, but would this even be possible using it?

Thats a good point actualy, do you need maya to do this, or can that part be skiped or changed in any way, so people without Maya can use this method?

The only part that was maya-specific was the tips on how to get Maya to NOT change vertex numbering on the OBJ import, which screws up the import of the UVs back into the ZTool, and the specific steps of creating UVs in Maya, which were still pretty universal from a methodology point of view. As long as there is a way to get other apps like XSI or Silo to also not change vertice numbers on an OBJ import, the process would be identical.

This is the kind of thing I’ve been looking for but has anyone tried this with Max?

Why does it seem to be so difficult to create and use UV-maps? I would have thought that Zbrush creates successful UV-maps by itself, but apparently not and you need other software to do it, like Maya.

Myself, I’m trying out Bodypaint 3d just to see if texturing is a bit easier there. But so far, the whole interface of Zbrush seems better. Exept there are so many stupid problems one need to adress and familiarize with first in order to be a good texturer. One would think that in Zbrush, you only need to see the model and paint the model. Or choose a view, use Zapplink and import to Photoshop, edit and back again, and perfect results. Which doesn’t happen. There are way to many settings and stuff you need to know before getting a good result. Which can seem very intimedating for beginners, like myselv.