ZBrushCentral

Autosave

Svengali, Thank you.

Quicksave is a truely impressive solution to the ever so common issue of zbrush crashing during saving. I couldn’t begin to tell you how many times I have lost my creativity on models. But still being human, from time to time I tend to get so envolved and focused on my project that I forget to reach for the “M” key to save and my workstation crashes.

Now, not being a programmer or scripter I have no idea of the time or envolvement it takes to create scripts like these, but I was wondering if additions to the script would be possible? The addition I had in mind was a timed autosave. With a timed auto save, the artist would be able to set the time interval whether it was 15 seconds or 15 minutes and would not have to worry that his work was saved just prior to a system crash. I know that this is not a new idea and that programs such as 3ds max come standard with this type of save programming. I was just wondering if this could be added to the quicksave scripting?

Again, thank you for “saving” us. :slight_smile:

Creating a reliable auto-save feature is not really possible in the ZScript environment. When any new script runs, the current script is dumped… so there is no way to guarantee an AutoQuickSave script would remain in effect.

Some users run a separate alarm timer utility in background (that lets them set the interval between alarms) to remind them to give the M+ button a click or tap the assigned hotkey.

Just Google for timer utilities - there are dozens of free or shareware versions around. I personally use a countdown timer that was included with some scheduling/daytimer software I bought years ago.

Anyway, thanks for using QuickSave. :slight_smile:
Sven

I feel your pain Flyer! I had a sudden crash the other night and lost alot of work :frowning:

This sounds like a good solution as I never really run any other zscripts whilst working. thanks for sharing this script Svengali, definately gonna try it out :slight_smile:

I haven’t looked into scripting at all; but as I see that QuickSave is an essential tool it gets me to wondering.

Would it be possible with a script to call a successive series of actions? Something like, whenever I switch to a new subd level; run M+ then switch. If that were possible then you could build a variety of override scripts for regular behavior that you call in place of the normal ones; getting saves transparently while you’re working.

Just a thought; no idea how to actually implement.