Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Post Realtime doom3 like demo : The Dead Night

Here's the first realtime screenshoots of a demo game I'm making. Modelised on maya, sculpted in zbrush.
    I hope you will like it!!

Sébastien Legrain A.K.A Sebcesoir

http://sebleg.free.fr

Yeahh!!! Thx pixologic, it's damn cool to have Zbrush caps!

can't wait to see the demo

looks like my cup of tea...looking forward to more definitely

New Member Follow User Gallery

Awesome looking zombie, i'm new to 3D modeling and thats the type of thing ill make once i start learning more. zombies are great

lovely. only remark is about the nose - it seems too smooth compared to the rest of the scarred face. Other then that, it's realy great.

Little update (always realtime rendering)
    Improved eyes (shaded, glow in the dark, for scaring effects), normalmapped tooth, injures on hand

update1.jpg
    Last edited by Moderator; 03-29-05 at 10:41 AM.

Sebcesoir,
    very nice work. I love the textures-the new update is an improvement. The detail is well done (would love to see the bitmaps) Since I am still new at this, I have little to critique (sorry).

I am also trying to do the same thing for a game using Maya and Z, preferably for Doom 3 when it comes out next week. I want to do normal mapping using the hi res mesh from Zbrush. My WIP is under this week's MNC-full figures. I had hoped I would have gotten some critique on it, but none yet. I still have alot that I want to do on it.

I hope you will demo your workflow like you did for the Terminator. Although your Zbrush demo will be exteremly helpful, I would love to understand your Maya workflow as well (i.e. when you export the mesh, so you do it in pieces or all at once, etc. Text is fine, unless you think some Maya screenshots would help)

Thank you so much, your posts have been very helpful. With enough practice, I hope to be able to contribute to the community as well.
    -Simon

Thanks a lot for your support Simons.
    About my maya pipelin, its too late to make video tutorial, because I didn't recorded my script. I have a special character pipeline (http://sebleg.free.fr/mayacd/) so I can have in few minutes many face models. I imported a low res mesh in zbursh to sculpt it fastly (around 2 hours for the entire face), so that I got my normalmap.
    ABout the rendering, its not for the doom3 engine, but for a cheap engine I'm programming on. Its will be a cheap demo with very closed environment (just a room or a full house), and a poor gameplay : just camera movments, no interaction with the animated zombie.
    If you nned some help on maya and zbrush, maybe I can give you some tips.
    Good luck!

zbtextur.jpg
    here's the face texture sample.
    Last edited by Moderator; 03-29-05 at 10:42 AM.

Thank you again, Sebcesoir. Wow, I am impressed by your programming talents as well as artistic talent. Your character designer looks very cool. I can see how you turn out a variety of different characters quickly. Thanks for the the texture sample as well. I have been learning unwrapping in Maya, so I have been trying to see other examples as well. I will be painting my texture right after I finish my detail sculpting in Zbrush. (Actually, how do you do your texture in photoshop or in Zbrush while you are doing your fine detail work?)
    Thanks again,
    -Simon

Most of the texturing is made in photoshop. Zbrush is good to mark texture, but not precise enaugh to me... But I often bake the cavity shader of Zb to get micro riddles and add it into my texture to increase volums effects.
    If you have a good pattern library, it can be useful to work in zb with sculpting and texturing in same tame, but I didn't work enaugh like that for the moment...
    I'm actually working of the room where you will meet this caharcter. I will work a lot on the lightmaps to make a good (I hope!) scary night atmosphere.
    I hope to post soon sceenshoots...!

Last edited by Moderator; 03-29-05 at 10:49 AM.

When you say real time rendering, what are you useing?

Are you useing DOOM 3 or AMP 2?

The lighting effects say AMP to me... I could be wrong tho...

What rendering engine are you useing?

BTW, your zombie is much better (visualy) than any of the Doom 3 Zombies... Very well done!

Also one last thing,

I have been makeing game maps/levels ever science the days of Half life and quake 2... If you need some help let me know, I am Dieing to get involved with a decent team... your screenshots and animation look top knotch... If you need team members let me know

I will make demo map, or send screenshots/animations to you if you are interested.
    For Hire.

We use a very cheap free engine, wich is not powerfull. Due to this miss of power, we plan to make a small demo, inside the house, there are this high resolution character wich are more detailed than doom3 zombies. With my frriend Loki, we plan to make lower resolution zombies in separates parts so you can shoot body parts like the house of the dead.
    Unfortunatly, I can't use normalmaps as much as I would like... Other what, they whould have been everywhere (walls, objects...).
    I'm fan of zbursh 2, and I think it has a big role to play in actually's game industry. I hope it will be more used in most compagnys, wich seems to be a bit afraid of such new tools... So, as zbrush fan, evewhere I go I have to show the power of zbrush to make my team adopt it, but its not always possible indeed...
    Zbrush is as much powerfull in realtime than in computer graphics.

Member Follow User Gallery

The lowpoly reatraints of game design seem to force people to do astounding texture work

Great stuff!
    "Duct tape is like the Force - it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast