Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Default 3ds max 2008 - Zbrush 3.1 - 3ds max 2008 Workflow: Maybe The Only Solution?

Dear ZbrushCentral Community / Art Masters and Authors,

I can see that many of us, including myself and many others are struggling to get this particular issue resolved for quite sometime already, specially with generating displacement maps, bump maps and color maps and import it back into 3dsmax for our characters or any other objects.

Indeed I haven't still yet found a DVD tutorial in the whole www. I've search and search for a decent step by step tutorial and only a few tutorials or they are incomplete or they assume too much from the end user. I haven't found a single tutorial that it would take me from Step A all the way to Step Z (A to Z).

I wonder why?

So, here's an idea, why doesn't any Author come up and produce a walkthrough step by step process DVD in showing this so desperately needed tutorial, as requested by thousands of people, students, artists and pure mortals? I'm sure that this would be a good business and I'm sure I would be the first one in the line to buy it.

If anyone has any comments, please feel free to do so.
    Maybe if we all ask for it, someone will eventually do it ?
    Thank you.

Sincerely,
    CGicore
    Last edited by cgicore; 03-04-08 at 07:13 AM.

yeah your right. Ive been searching everywhere for a real thorough tutorial. But maybe you should check out some of the gnomon dvds about 3Ds Max. i seen the meats dvd which tought me alot about ZBrush. IDK just a thought

Digital-tutors also has a 3ds Max to Zbrush workflow DVD, but it's certainly not new.

Member Follow User Gallery

twitchmonkey,

are you sure you're not talking about the maya to zbrush dvd? Never heard of a 3ds max dvd by digital tutors.. maybe i've missed it but i don't think so!

Anyway, yeah it'd be good to have a great tut. on zbrush working with max and vray!

I can't recall seeing any 3ds max Tut done by DT, since they are more focus on Maya pipeline. Thought, their training series are excellent IMO.
    However, wished they had something for 3ds max too.

Lynda training series is not bad at all too.

However, haven't found anything as I described above. I am really surprised that since this was requested by thousands of users and there are no DVD training material in this regard. I would be glad if someone could correct me and tell me that I'm wrong about this, in return, tell us where is this fantastic DVD.

Sincerely,
    CGicore

I was sure that I saw a Max to Zbrush workflow DVD when I was considering whether to purchase Max or Maya as my traditional modeling program, but I could be mistaken.

Lynda is certainly a great service for finding 3ds Max tutorials, but as you said, I seen anything that would relate to this issue there.

This is certainly a quagmire.

gigity gigity

Who else but Quagmire?

No one? Anyone kind enough to give us the steps? Much appreciated.

http://www.pixologic.com/zclassroom/registration.php

there's a free video tutorial here on the pixologic website. log in with your zbrushcentral username and password. it's the last video on the page.

here's written documentation for displacement in max

http://www.zbrush.info/docs/index.php/ZBrush_to_3ds_Max
    Last edited by smokebox46and2; 03-03-08 at 03:34 PM.

I have the same problem as you here. I wached the video from pixologic. It a good video, but still not enough... at least not for me. But you all should check this link:
    http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/dvd.../3dsmax_g.html

There are few dvd's about 3ds max, but you should check character and creature design which treats 3ds max and zbrush! I admit that I didn't see those dvd's but I plan to buy them to see if they make thing more clear in this issue.
    Hope it helps.

Have you seen my tutorial about exporting from 3dstudio max- zbrush - 3d studio max?

is a tutorial step by step how you can make all the process.

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=56789

i see a lot of tutorials about this but all put one thing ( modelling, rendering, export normals...).

i took all this things and i explained all.

the tutorials are bored and you have to use a lot of hours to make it. The companies don´t want to make a great tutorial because they didn´t make money. You have to buy more XD.

hum... didn't follow that tut, but I will definetely will and give you my feedback. Thanks alot!

Please be aware that at the moment of writing this post - displacements in 2008 are 'broken' when using the MR displacement slot, before you spend to much time figuring it out. At present I would stick to Max v.9 if you wish to use displacement maps in MR.

Thank you JAOL, I have already replied to your thread. Again, thank you and I will definitely follow it up once I get back home.

Thanks musca_ro for the link as well. Will check the Russian tut as well for sure and let you guys know my outcome.

Thank you hotknife , however, do you know anything what if I use displacement + Vray??? Not sure if that's the right question as my knowledge in the Render Section is still very limited. Appreciate if you could elaborate a bit further. Thank you.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast