ZBrushCentral

Logen (The bloody Nine) - Head study

Hi this is my first post on this forum. yay!
The character below is based upon “The Bloody Nine” or “Logan” from ‘The First Law’ book series by Joe Abercrombie. At first I was scuplting another character “Black Dow” but as I progressed I released he was shaping up more and more to look like Logan.

Comments welcome! :wink:

-ToastyBlackDow_024.jpgblackdow025rr4.jpg

Attachments

BlackDow_024.jpg

blackdow025rr4.jpg

1 Like

hey,
its a vey nice bust…i really love the expression on him and i love his chainmail vest.
but i think that his left cheek bone seems broken or waay to in compared to the right cheek…
yet again nice work!!!
i also do feel the same about his nasolabial fold…his left…
cheers,
omar

nice work!

yeah…looking very awesome. I agree that the cheek bone looks a little off.:+1:
Would like to see more of your models

Really nice work,I like it.Can`t wait to see the finished product.

yea the chainmail looks cool. how’d you go about in making it if you dont mind me asking?

First welcome, second YOU ROCK loving this charachter and the kind of detail on him really well done, i agree like the people mentioned before me about the cheek bone and may i add that i would love to see the same amount of details in the beard on the hair coz it kinda stand out the difference between both other than that great job

I really like it, looks awesome
and… couple words about the chain mail? :smiley:

Awesome work Toastman, love all the small details, could you tell us how you created the chainmail? :+1:

Don’t know what the others are talking about with regards to the cheek, it’s been badly damaged and shouldn’t look like the other. Boy, sometimes a tough crowd here… Anyway i think it’s brilliant and the chain mail is fantastic! Please tell me you didn’t do that one little piece at a time!

EVERY SINGLE day i get inspired from this site. Awesome sculpt and definitely talk about the chainmail.

Yeah…I was curious on How you did that??? if you don’t mind, could you explain that a lil’ bit???

Later
selah

Toastman…this is a sublime peice of modelling. Ignore the rather lame “critiques” about the cheeks. I for one see it as part of the character and not a “mistake”. I do wish more people would think harder and maybe try to construct critiscisms and comments better before putting digit to keyboard. Symmetry is good when designing cars…and thats about it.

awsome work, can’t wait to see more :+1:

great work!! really like it!

Alex Oliver

OOOH SWEETNESS! I absolutely LOVE this one:+1: :smiley:

Whoa! I wasn’t expecting this kind of reaction. Thanks to all that posted. Your comments and critic’s have inspired me with more energy and passion to improve my work.
I think the broken/flat spot on the cheek is a factor of my laziness. Originally I had side burns sculpted for both sides. But during the sculpting process I removed one side and forgot to inflate the check bone that was under the hair, hence the flat spot near the ear. I’ll fix this up during the next update.
I totally agree with your crit about the lack of detail in the hair ibrahim_gabr. Again this is partially due to me being a little lazy. The hair subtool has reached the upper poly limits that my poor old machine can handle. If I spend a bit of time, split it into a few subtools, and hide the seams, I should be able to add more detail.
The chain mail was constructed piece by piece haha. It was the only peice of mesh that I took into another external program. Unfortunately the rotation and translation tools in ZB were a little slow and cumbersome to use. I exported a low res mesh of the underlining shirt into maya, and placed each chain ring on top. It took a while, but with some relaxing music in the background, the routine of copy, paste, move, rotate became almost relaxing… not that I would ever do this again!! haha. Below is a screenshot of the chain in maya.

Thank you once again to all who commented. I was going to leave the bust at this stage, but your comments have inspired me to investigate texturing and rendering. I’ll be doing my best to stay completely in ZB, as it’s the best way to force myself to learn all the fantastic tools of version3.

Keep the comments and critic’s coming.

-Toastyloganchain001aa3.jpg

I would not change a thing. Nice work :+1: :+1:

well, about the chain mail, actually I didn’t get it :smiley: anyway thanks

but I think, it’s going to be pretty crazy process to me :lol:
thanks again

Sorry leshiy3d perhaps it was the way I explained the process.

1. Export a level 1 or 2 mesh of the shirt to use as a guide for placing the chainmail peices.
  2. Make a single ring.
  3. Duplicate it and move it into position
  4. repeat about 5 million times.
  5. combine all the rings into a single object.
  6. export a .Obj file
  7. import the obj into zbrush
  8. use the move sculpt tool to gently push and pull the chainmail, so it fits on the level 5-7 version of the shirt.
  9. subdivide the chainmail once or twice.
  10. have a beer and lay down.

-Toasty