ZBrushCentral

Peaceful Worm WIP

Worm.jpg

Hi!

I’ve seen a lot of very intense work here, very inspiring. I wonder if here I can get some criticism about this guy. I have to texture it, rig and animate it and I think that will be kinda tricky to do that since it will have to move the whole jaw, make some muscles and stuff… maybe just blend shapes, still thinking in that. The body is a lot longer, but I wanted to focus much more detail in the head since its gonna be the main focus

Anyway, what you think? is one of the first things I’ve done in zbrush and I’m pretty satisfied so far with the results.

I like it man, those teeth are wicked! My only critique is that the body seems too smooth, add some muscle definition in there, or just some rings like worms have and it will look awesome, cant wait to see what ya do with it! Good job so far :+1:

I like how parts get built up around the teeth that come out. I’d say that a lot of the areas of the mouth look random, though. Your brush strokes look like… well, brush strokes.

I think it’d be cool to see the “webbing” area look stretched out and pulled, because the mouth looks so tensed - the way it’s opened. I agree with Neticule about the body being too smooth, too.

Do you have any pre-pro or reference for what you want it to look like in the end or it’s basis?

Pretty neat so far.

Thank you for your replies guys!

Yes, you are right. The body definitly needs more details.

I’m not sure what you mean Ryan with “brush strokes” but I guess you mean the standard brush. All is standard brush done anyway. I’m not very familiar with the other ones. But as I told you in the first post, it still needs to be textured. And yes, I really didn’t noticed, but you are very right that it doesn’t look very tense, and mostly on the inside.

btw, here is the concept
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g274/Yeminio/Giant-Worm.jpg

soo, thanks! really :smiley:

Oh, about the brush strokes, I just mean that you can tell how you sculpted it in there. At least for me… it detracts from the character if everything doesn’t work together or strokes seem like they are floating around the model.

Cool concept. Here’s a paintover I did of your model after looking at your ref. The areas in red are places where it looks like(at least to me) that they could be tightened up and dig in a little deeper so the masses stand out. Judging from the shading in the reference it looks like you wanted to make them pronounced and give the worm it’s character. The purple stuff is where i thought it looks like it might be a boney or tendonous. Don’t get me wrong, i mean i see that you have it in there. It just looks to me that it’s kind of blending in with the other stuff still. Obviously just my intepretation but i hope you find it useful. : )

Attachments

wormPaintOver.jpg

Thank you for your reply man!

Yes, it definitly needs more work, I agree with you in that, not much in other things, but thank you for showing me your interpretation. Is quite interesting :smiley:

I will post later how this guy gets finished. Anyway, I think I shoulded call WIP this thread, my mistake hehe

thanks!

Hola, me gustó el concepto, personalmente hubiera agregado mas detalle al cuerpo de este gusano para que no sea tan “gusano de tierra”, pero la cabeza está muy bien. En cuanto al modelo, la unica critica extendiendo lo que decia el otro amigo sería que trabajes mas bajo el pensamiento de que está criatura tiene una musculatura, te recomiendo buscar ilustraciones de anatomia de serpientes para que veas las configuraciones de los musculos como guía.

A lo que se refería el otro amigo con "brush strokes" era que se notan mucho las brochas, o sea, que no parecen musculos, sino que has pasado brochazos por encima, pero solo tiene que definir mas las proporciones y eso, espero que te ayuden estos tips. No se cuanto tiempo tienes en el 3d, pero vas muy bien, ojalá hubiera tenido un programa como z-brush cuando empecé siglos atras. Saludos. Hi, I liked the concept, personally i would add more detail in the body area, cause looks too much like an "earthworm", but the head is fine. The model in the other hand, the only critic i can give is that you have to think about the muscles under the skin of the creature, try to search illustration of snake muscles as a reference. I don´t know how many time are you on CG, but your progress it´s good, i wish that centuries ago when i began we had Z-brush.

Mirrored.

aah, te capto… si, tenis razon. Anyway I’ve already fixed some stuff on this guy, but since it will be a very short shot and looking from front, I was detailing the body not so much because will probably look motion blurred.

Its great to see chilean people around here! And by the way, I have about 1 year and half in this thing, I think I still have so much to learn. Im very newbie :stuck_out_tongue:

thanks!

Yeminius,
Looking good! It looks like a cross between Dune “Worms”, Tremors “Worms”, Preditor’s face, Kong’s Pit Slugs. All of those references are meant as a complement as I enjoyed them. I agree with the others comments, and I hope you keep posting updates. There are some awesome artists on this forum. :wink: :+1:

Thank you man! really.

I will sure do it :smiley:

wow! awesome sculpt!!! :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

first thing to that popped in my head when the image loaded was…‘SQUIRM!!!’

I really like this :+1: :+1:

My thought would be that there is too much detail in the interior of the mouth and it has a hardened feel to it. I guess my eye expects a soft smooth surface inside of a mouth and smoother transitions. I’d expect a moist surface when it is textured and rendered and a smoother surface might fit better. Who’s to say about a worm though?

thank you! haha, those squirm concepts look cool, but haven’t seen them ;(

thank you Blaine… as Ryan said before, the mouth looks very tense. I’ve textured it, detailed it a little bitm but I’m not sure I like the results. I like more how it looked before, hah. but I’m gonna render it in maya, Ive created sspecular, color and disp map for this guy. I’ll use sss too, but I think I’ll map just the color map on that.

btw, here is how the texturing is looking in zb

WORMMM.jpg

thank you guys for your help!

Hmmm the inside of the mouth doesnt look right. I would go to www.gapingmaws.com and look at their reference photos for the insides of snake mouths. Im sure it will take your sculpture to the next level.

haha whoa, i didnt think a site like that could possibly exist. the internet never ceases to amaze me:lol:

wow, thank you man. Yep, I don’t really feel that it looks good either. That website will be very helpful, thank you!!

No worries mate. Keep ZBrushing. I had to model a hognose viper for a video game and i looked everywhere for reference photos and just happened to come across that site. It helped soooooooo much.

DONT STOP SCULPTING!!!

You definitely need to gloss that baby up…

If you’re up for the challenge, where the cheek skin is thinnest (ie open the most) you should make the flesh translucent and gel-like.