ZBrushCentral

Ryan's ZBrush Sketchbook (Maddam's Standard brush - added page 6)

[]

Hello Guys, I have been doing daily sculpting exercises and thought I would keep a semi-daily record of them. (Minus weekends. Hey, a guy has to rest!)

To record most of the movies I used ZBrush’s movie recorder. It was set to record the Window at Medium size with Skip Menus and On Mouse off. These are quick exercises of about 20 minutes or so each.

Jan 15th:

//youtu.be/IHjZqKlI0RI&rel=0

Jan 17th:

//youtu.be/N-CQsJSfoGo&rel=0

Jan 28th:

//youtu.be/_-cEV6Jl9fE&rel=0

Jan 29th

//youtu.be/7BCM-vQdPps&rel=0

Jan 30th:

//youtu.be/aK81ZsLKXwY&rel=0

Feb 1st

//youtu.be/XmW81xXvLXk&rel=0

Feb 5th:

//youtu.be/9Z4mb3ONFOs&rel=0
sketchbooktitle2.jpg

cool vids dude. just acouple questions how much time do you usually spend on them and on your torso sculpt what brush were you using about 7minutes in the vid.

About 20 minutes. The female head was something like 40 minutes. :slight_smile:

r

These vids are excellent and I especially like the torso as i find it very inspiring, and so look forward to producing a full male figure soon. I have not got even more excited about anatomy, thanks. :slight_smile:
Arran

Hands down my favorite sculpt is the woman’s head with the big flowing hair. Fantastic, the feeling of movement in the hair and “naturalness” of the face are very appealing. What brush did you use while sculpting out the clumps of hair?

I’m so glad you asked! :slight_smile:

I still have to do an Artist’s Series on this brush but I have become preoccupied with other things.

The Brush I used is very important to me and took some serious experimenting to find. I was trying to find a brush that would give me the feeling that I was carving into clay with a wood tool. In my mind, I was looking for something that would let me make hair like Bruno Luchesi.

So, after many difficult nights and many treacherous days i came across a slight modification of the Slash 2 brush! Imagine my surprise when I spend 3 days on a brush only to discover that all i have to do is go into the Alpha palette while the Slash 2 brush is selected and simply pull the points apart slightly in the Alpha Adjust Curve.

3 days well spent!

I used this brush to sculpt the hair of the model below too.

//youtu.be/xfDJCfZJfGA&rel=0
wavebrushsetting.jpg

I just love this thread
the torso is really amazing after this feeling of dynamics

about the slash2 brush , after the first video you posted on your blog , i played with it but … how do you manage the direction ?
i mean with that brush … you keep symmetry off ? … if so the other side of the head (hair) become hard to do

Indeed the ZCurve is really come in handy…very good tips on the brush! thank you :slight_smile: :+1: :+1:

‘Bruno Luchesi’ was introduced me a few years ago from random searching.
Glad to hear his name here, ryan, and I am a proud owner whose a couple of his books.

Thanks for sharing brush setting info as well as inspiring TimeLapse as always.

Rybeck

Nice work Ryan. You have a great deal of knowledge of the human form… perhaps you have tonnes of reference posters on the wall of your office that we can see in the movies :slight_smile:

Anyway. Very enjoyable to watch. Keep posting them. BTW i can’t tell if the first model is a guy or not. I am gussing yes!

hi ryan ,thanks for al tutorials and explanitions ,they have helped tremendously,

especially with all these new features .

nice to see your sketchbook started and going Ryan … great work and awesome tutorials as usal :+1:

U remember Duck Tales??
About 18 years ago or more, there was this episode where Scrooge Mcduck’s father tought him how to work, scrooge came back home after a long day at the shoe shop where he works, shining shoes, very exausted, he told his father how tierd he was, n his father’s only advice to him was, work smarter not harder!
scrooge, a smart duck he is, start’s thinking…the next day he builds this machine using his bike some rope, brushes and wood, this little invention of his enables him to shine 5-6 shoes all at once saving him time n effort!
Seeing ur videos n u sketching like that kinda reminded me of that episode!:lol:

//youtu.be/9Z4mb3ONFOs&rel=0

A quick torso sketch. :slight_smile:

Ryan

Sweet~

I became big fan of this post as many other zbrusher would be…
Quick question,
what’s move brush setting alike which you in beginning half? I always have trouble to use move brush…

Rybeck

Great stuff ryan! Thanks for sharing.

So Monday I spent some time transposing and developing an idea of a Siren sculpture that has been bouncing around in my mind. This is a WIP and focused on general massing and the relationship between the characters.

Here is the model:

Here is a turntable:

//youtu.be/u3iTflmVo_g

![mermaid_maquette_v1_front.jpg|600x1005](upload://65FwKqfSt10Gd9cb9sRC6XVV8HO.jpeg)![mermaid_maquette_v1_side.jpg|610x800](upload://su7NGBeyR6BTiMi2kCydNcbjruB.jpeg)![mermaid_maquette_v1_front_thumb.jpg|100x75](upload://qc5abotBzfIFHaZesePtJBrHRdx.jpeg)

interesting turntable. their fingers would look nicer with more posing. it looks as though you left them in a default pose. It kinda takes away the artsy feel :slight_smile:

very interesting Ryan … the poses are great i agree with the fingers tho … you should keep posting in your Sketchbook often :+1:

very cool. I like the weightless figure floating on the right- nice pose.