Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Default Base Model Gallery please.

I was wondering can you guys please post some Base models before you took them to zbrush.

I am an intermediate c4d modler and I am curious how much convential modeling is being done. all i ever see is the final zbrush stages.

How much is base mesh.

please post some base meshes.

Here is a model from one of my projects.

can I just take it to zbrush for refining?

or is a base model modeled differently then what I am used to as the norm.

this is all convential modeling.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clothing.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	93783  

Member Follow User Gallery

Default This is just one approach...

Hi!,

I think this may be an interesting idea, but it might be more helpful if we see both the base mesh and the final mesh together. It may also make more sense to have this in either tutorials or something else, but that's for someone else to decide . Anyway here's an example of one base mesh I use and 4 different sculpts from it. I know the base seems painfully simple (note: there is a sub tool with two lores eyes that I use for placement and locating while sculpting) but I find that having this kind of geometry allows me to not have to "fight" with the mesh with regards to where things will go (having too much or too little topoogy to achieve the right shape). The downsides to this kind of base mesh are :

1. You end up generally having to go pretty high in polycount for adding details like the secondary eyelid or nostril etc, so this doesn't work well without a fairly powerful machine and/or a 64bit version of Windows (I'm running on a 8GB 64 bit system when I sculpt)

2. You end up needing to retopo if you want to send the mesh to another program. This can be done in ZB but I sometimes find that on certain models one gets severe problems with the mesh turning inside-out and so forth. When this happens, I end up back in Maya which can be problematic since there start being very real issues when you pull too high res a model in. I seem to recall that XSI has something they call a "giga core" that allows for handling extreme polycounts, but I've never actually observed this and 3ds Max may have something similar as well, but Maya definitely does not as of V. 2008.

Anyway, hope this gives some ideas for one approach to the process. Looking forward to seeing how other people approach this.

Johannes

Post_base_to_various.jpg

Whoa when base mesh i thought there would be some shaping thats pretty much a cube.

I run a Quad core q6600 with water cooling. and OC to 4 ghz.

and i have 4 gigs ddr.

So I have plenty of room as well.

8800 GTX video card.

I run 32 bit windows because my 3d program doesnt like 64 bit. quicktime problems mostly. which makes using 64 bit pointless.

and vista DX 10 really doesnt like my viewports lol!

Not sure how maya or 3ds max does didnt use em. not concerned either.

I dont want to relearn how to script animations in another program.

plus the workflow comfortable factor.

After I finish my book I am going to take my joan of arc model into z.

for minor adjustments.

So what are bases a very quick shaping of polies pretty much?
    Last edited by infamouskiller; 05-21-08 at 06:02 PM.

Member Follow User Gallery

Wink yep, it pretty much is just a cube

Hi again,

You're quite right that this base mesh really is more or less just a cube, but that's because it is based around a particular work paradigm. The idea with that approach is that the base mesh is much like an armature in traditional sculpting; in short just something to throw clay on. In this same way, this base mesh is just sort of a set of polygons that exist to hold the digital equivalent of the "clay" as you build up or cut back forms. The sculpts I threw togther here a basically nothing more than different ways of stacking the "clay" to create particular shapes, but this is by no means the only or "best" way to work.
    For an alternate approach, you may want to go to Gnomonology.com and download their base head (it's free) which has an organized edgeloop system and topology - the advantage of that approach is that it is very easy and quick to make fine adjustments, but the disadvantage is that getting really crazy with the anatomy may get problematic since the detail/hires areas are already placed in certain areas (ex if you want to add 2 more eyes on the back of the head). There is also a base human mesh if I remember correctly that is also a free download, but that one is more similar to the basic "armature" approach.
    This also was a topic during a class Ryan Kingslien did over at Gnomon, where he suggested thinking of a zsphere "model" as a quick way of constructing an "armature". If you haven't already, you may want to take look at his posts and the sculpt thread he has. He is extremely skilled at explaining how ZB works as an artistic tool and since he works over at Pixologic, he knows most of what makes the program tick and looking at how he sculpts may give you more ideas on ways to make ZB work in a manner that's best for your own workflow.
    So in the end, I guess that a base mesh is whatever the user wants it to be: a low poly no detail armature, a low detail massed out sculpt, a massed out medium res sculpture to be detailed, or anything else, as long as it works for the user and the context. Probably the best thing to do is try working with as many approaches as you can until you find the one that's right for you, or if working with a group, right for the pipeline and then tweak it as you need to. Zb is great in that it really rewards experimentation so one may as well take advantage of that.

Johannes

Thnks ill download the head and see what I can get.
    Last edited by infamouskiller; 05-21-08 at 08:18 PM.

Default Very relevant thread

Hi, just wrote to say that I too have been very interested in knowing about the base meshes behind some of th incredible models we see here at ZBC. But what I have realized in the short span I have been using Zbrush is that the base mesh could be anything as long as you aren't concerned about the edge loops and flow of the model. You can sculpt anything out of a very simple base mesh and retopologise later, paying particular attention to edge loops( that is if you want to ready your model for animation ). I think however that it is most beneficial if your base mesh correponds closely to what you have in mind or the rough sketches you may have made. For instance, if a character has ears or horns, you'd rather buld them into your Zsphere base mesh, rather than pulling the poly's for them out of a head, which can be cumbersome and tedious.That said, I really look forward to ppl contributing to this thread, and sharing their views on their personal style and workflow when it comes to base meshes and sculptng models out of them.