ZBrushCentral

Zbrush work on Golden Axe Beast Rider

At Gentle Giant we produced many characters for Golden Axe Beast Rider. The Game is made by Sega and it was produced at Secret Level. Some of the characters haven’t been shown yet in the publicity and may be a surprise when you buy the game.
I have some screen grabs from the internet of ingame renders. The characters had Normal Maps.
The Gentle Giant Team was Art Directed by Scott Spencer. Mark Dedecker, Hector DeLaTorre, Nobu Sasagawa, Stefano Dubay, Brandon Lawless, Brian Wynia, Cesar Dacol and Alex Olivier,and some people I will edit the post and add.
On 2d Art we had Christian Gossett, Dave Igo, Scott Spencer and myself. Much of the design was produced at Secret Level. We also did design work with polypainted Zbrush models on which changes were done on paintovers from Secret Level.
What I’m showing are things I did myself before final paint was completed in Photoshop by our team. I was happy how quickly you could establish the character with Polypaint. The painting in the screengrabs appears to be desaturated, initially we were working with brighter colored designs.
These Abrax and Tyrus designs came from Secret Level.

![biggax02.jpg|800x450](upload://kvZTvwyJbkAob0CqvEuG5tp9gEt.jpeg)![biggax03.jpg|800x450](upload://uenOFTfHjhUPrmrt4jPPM1GLDjy.jpeg)![biggax05.jpg|800x450](upload://jvCtQggjrKUO5Lqls8TCQD45xde.jpeg)![biggax06.jpg|800x450](upload://yh6ZwczotUluXxu99jWesU83sdp.jpeg)![abraxGrey.jpg|792x594](upload://sm79i3ZW1GTnRTsS6cxqfEtdr8U.jpeg)![abrax.jpg|792x594](upload://ouKBqEZGeHbOYrpMB5X5t3KiSUK.jpeg)![tyrus.jpg|802x1039](upload://pKryyeTFaP7IUrP6o3wXzG385zx.jpeg)![41j4mO53GmL._SS400_.jpg|400x400](upload://zURlpu4qRVh0aoSck352am5N1Oe.jpeg)![ZBC_THUMB.jpg|100x76](upload://yhn9Fwxdq5gGjhGJ4MjcBH1w0dn.jpeg)

I used to love the Golden axe games, i used to play them for hours… its good to see them being brought into a renewed life. And so brilliantly too!
Good job to all you guys, the screenshots i have seen look great.:+1:

wow really incredible … both models are flawless, and the texture on the mount is jus beautiful

Finaly its comming out! it was a pleasure working on this with you guys! and a totlal honor to work off of your sculpts jim! its hard to believe those characters were almost two years ago!

Holy axes.Thats just wikked.
The Beast rocks.Love the chunky scales and horns.
The warrior chick is so sexy.Love her face,her bodys great.Love the ribs.
Its amazing work:):slight_smile: really is…

great work Jim and thank you for sharing

Alex Oliver

I love the colours on the beast - the purple makes it look rather cute :slight_smile:

Looks awesome what platforms is it on, the mount looks awesome, great job.

wonderful sculpt and beautiful texture
hope the game rock as well:D

great works ! your abraxGrey is amazing ! thanx for sharing !

Really nice characters, disappointed it isn’t on PC.
JF

I am sorry to hear you had to work with Igo on this project, Jim. The guy is a menace! Awesome model, too bad you’ve lost so many of that cool surface detail ingame.

Nice work, I can’t wait to play the game

Morph Division
Jelmer
johnfnoo
skulll_monster
Kupo
Intervain
Alex Oliver
DELTATHUND3R
monkeymuscle
konjo kothar
Joopson
Thanks Everybody,

Here’s a gnome. I think there’s a lot of them in the game.

We did a bunch of different designs for him. Christian Gossett did the one Secret Level really liked, Brandon Lawless blocked this out, he’s going to post his, this is my finish and paint.

I guess I hadn’t finished painting the legs at this point.

![gnome3.jpg|612x792](upload://pZuzqqzwoOF5MIT8KC4wa5Y0wf0.jpeg)![gnome4.jpg|612x792](upload://d5vDdQQ2yqX4DEQmTItG9FD63Km.jpeg)![518fYAc3h0L._SS400_.jpg|400x400](upload://8IDxlnJKPpqnQ39zUQjb5EDK3QM.jpeg)![gnome6.jpg|612x792](upload://54xmpLFoTORn0jaoB2gPYJGUPG5.jpeg)![gnome7.jpg|612x792](upload://fXlpIbEksO8jKMv4g2WBCto0ZgQ.jpeg)

Wow!I like this project.The guy is a Awesome model. I will wait to play the game.

I suppose you could say I worked between Chris and Jim. Chris was 2d, then I worked the gnome out 3 dimensionally, then Jim took it home by adding more details all around - adding more realism all around, and finally paint.

-Brandon

[]gnome.jpggnome.jpg

great modeling and texture work! would be cool to see some realistic eye setups on them.

really nice works~
and by the way,i have bought a lot of busts from GENTLE GIANT~:lol:

hello jim

happy to see your new works in this forum! great job again with some great charism!! did you sculpt some skecth before in clay? or directly with zbrush?

cyril