New Member Follow User Gallery

thanks Jmenna for all the great information! those site were very cool. I know about eyebeam and would love to do something there and am definatly going to apply. I also have seen Michael Rees' work before and like it a lot. It's nice to see artists useing technology as both the tool and the subject.
    check out more at :
    It's All About Alan

Default cost of printing

people asked about the cost:
    I made these while at a school. It was the school's printer and was relatively new. Not many students had taken advantage of it, so I hopped on it and made a million prints. the average cost was 1$ for 1cubic inch, thats the cost of materials. I'm wondering what the going rate is to get something printed? Also I owe some people some money there....
    check out more at :
    It's All About Alan

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

I usually pay about $9 per cubic inch, which seems to be pretty standard from the investigations I've done. I've found a few cheaper places, but the quality isn't nearly as good.

Where do you get prints made? What's a good company?
    check out more at :
    It's All About Alan

One of the companys that does 3d printing that Ive heard some good things about it 3darttopart.com. Ive never had anything printed but sent in a model or two for a price quote..which was a bit too much for the size of the model. I believe they said that they base their quotes off the over size of the model and the amount of material that needs to be used. After seeing this thread tho, I must get a model printed! haha.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Visit my website. C&C welcome.

Default other companies that 3D print

Thanks, that seems like a nice small company. Does anyone know of any other rapid prototyping companies? I'm very interested in them. Whats the average cost per cubic inch at these places? Are there many companies that do this work? I know of a few but they are not always that easy to find.
    check out more at :
    It's All About Alan

I know of a couple others companies, but Ill have to look for them when I get home. The problem I ran into with these other companies is that most of them require your model to be in a .STL format so their prototyping machines can easily split it into layers without conversion. There may be other companies and sites, but 3darttopart only requires a .OBJ file no larger than 10mb (I think). Im working on a model to get printed so when I have it completed with the size I want Ill post what the quoted price is.
    Some of the companies that Ive seen dont really say how much it cost per cubic inch, rather they determine the price by size and volume of material in the quote. Id say its safe to say that its $9/cubic inch.
    This is from the 3darttopart FAQ section: "in general you can expect a 6in. to 8in. tall model to be in the $40 to $120 range".

interesting. thanks.
    check out more at :
    It's All About Alan

This is the other site I was thinking of;
    www.printo3d.com
    I believe your model has to be in the .stl format before sending it to them, so I dont think they will convert an .obj file. Looks like that have a little different of a process with the support structures it builds rather than in a box of build powder. Could be interesting tho, especially that interlocking ball bearing they made!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=gnB8vFc123Y

Hmm..maybe in 10 years or so the price on these printers will drop a few thousand of dollars and become just like your everyday in-home lazer printer..now that would be cool!

those are great, keep up the great work.

Totally awesome work! I love how you combine other elements in the mix also, not only relying on 3D and 3D casts. The scenes are so intriguing and full of life. Love how you not only use forms and shapes, but also texture and dimension. Have to say I totally agree with what you're saying about how ZBrush is such an amazing tool and that pushing the boundaries for what you can do conceptually, visionary and taking advantage of the medium is something rarely seen. Anyhow, love your work.. Keep it up!

hahahah.. those are really well done.

-r
    rasmus warming
    rasmusw.dk

thank you!
    check out more at :
    It's All About Alan

thats very nicee man
    how did u do the wall