ZBrushCentral

Script to switch to fast render when making a transformation?

Is this possible?

You would have to create a plugin script that first switched to Fast Render and then pressed the Transform button you wanted. If you assigned a hotkey to the button the workflow could be as you wish. For example, you could assign ‘W’ to the plugin button that turned on ‘Move’ mode and this would overwrite the Move button hotkey assignment. Obviously you’d need a separate plugin button for each Transform mode.

You could record a Macro if you didn’t want to go to the trouble of writing your own script.

What I don’t understand is, when you assign a hotkey to rotate, for example, It does nothing. You can’t hold the hotkey and then move the cursor around cause it won’t rotate. So I don’t know how Zbrush is going to know that you just stopped rotating and it’s time to switch back to preview mode. Or to trigger fast mode when you are rotating.

Well, you couldn’t do that. If you wanted Preview Render then you’d have to press the Preview Render button. There’s not a reliable way of constantly monitoring mouse actions using zscript.

Why do you want to switch on Fast Render like that anyway? (I had thought that perhaps you wanted a way of avoiding the Best Render rendering every time you made a change.)

Probably the best way would be to write a plugin button that simply toggles the Fast Render, so that one hotkey (separate from the Transform ones) will switch between Fast and Preview Render.

Cause it’s a little slow when I’m really zoomed in on a Ztool.

Zooming in the document helps a lot, even if it looks lower res it’s not a problem for me because the speed is much better. BUT, there’s this annoying problem. When working with a zoomed in document (not the tool) and then zooming out the tool, it will also zoom out the document. -_-. So if I could prevent that I wouldn’t need to use fast render.

Have you tried hiding the part of the mesh you aren’t working on? When working close-up on detail that is generally thought to be the best method to keep things responsive.