ZBrushCentral

Zbrush Character Creation Book - Tutorials

Got this book a couple of days ago, and have been working through the first tutorial.

Will most likely keep posting my work on the other tutorials as I work through them.

Happy with this, although it is not as neat as the one in the book. Still work to do on it

LionHead.jpg

Hi Gordon!

Looks like an old, tarnished brass doorknocker to me! Nice work!! :smiley:

I’m just starting in on ‘Introducing ZBrush’ by Eric Keller, but I think I’ll look into your book too.

Happy ZBrushing!

I picked up both of those books in anticipation of the 3.12 release. Working my way through the Introducing Zbrush book and ive found there are a few differences between 3.12 and 3.1 on the PC so its been slow going at times.

I was working the same tutorial last night. Your’s is finer detail than mine, I’m not quite finished yet.

What subdiv level are you currently on for this model? I’m a complete noob to sculpting but I do understand the concept that you should use the lowest subdivision level you can for the detail you want to accomplish. With that said I’m having a hard time deciding when I need to go up a level. I guess that will come with experience…

Thanks guys. I just ordered the ‘introduction to…’ book today. Will work through that too.

Sorry I missed your question. This is at Level 6, but it looks ok at 5, and not bad at 4. I just put it up for the image as at 5 I can see some facetting on the nose area.

Wow! Amazon impresses again. Introduction to Zbrush arrived this morning. Will be looking at this tonight I imagine.

Been through the first tutorials in the Introducing… book. I think this is called 2.5D. Don’t like it myself, but it was an interesting process. Learned huge amounts that I didn’t know about zbrush.

[attach=111492]UnderseaLab7.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

UnderseaLab7.jpg

Started the next tutorial. Need to go back and redo it to get the nose/eye are posotioned right. But happy with the excercise. Really enjoying this programme.

Attachments

Skull.jpg

I started this tutorial but couldnt set the transparency between the reference plane and the polysphere to allow me to see the reference plane while sculpting the polyshpere - How did you do it?
Everytime id get the polysphere transparent id be sculpting on the reference plane instead.

Ah, this wasn’t that tutorial. But I’ve just tried the one you are talking about and as long as you have the sphere selected in the Sub-Tool pallete and switch on trancsparancy in the transform (or whatever pallete it is), it works ok. Just check your subtools pallette.

Im slow…:)and new:)
I can get the reference plane to be transparent but i still cant get the polysphere to be transparent and scultpable - perhaps im not selecting the tool correctly in the sub-tools palette? - When i have the polysphere subtool selected it has a thin grey box around it and the eye icon is visible - i then push the transp button and the reference plane becomes transparent.
If i do it the other way around and select the reference plane then i can make the polyshpere transparent but i cant scuplt it. Any suggestions as to what im doing wrong?

Dunno.

Here’s what I did.

Loaded the tool from the tutorials disc.

Selected the sphere in the ‘sub tools’ menu

clicked on transparancy in the transform menu, and the sphere went transparent and I could see the skull drawing on the reference plane.

Edits work on the Sphere.

Let me just try it again… yep it works as I just described.

Are you using the ztool supplied on the disc, or creating an image plane/sphere yourself? If so, maybe that’s were you’re going wrong.

Sorry I can’t be any more help. :confused:

edit

Just tried setting it up manually myself using the plane, and sphere that comes with Zbrush, and it still works ok? Baffled.

I was using one i made myself so perhaps thats teh problem - ill try the one on the disk and see what happens! thanks for the help!

Sorry, stephen, you replied when I was editing my post. I tried setting one up myself and it still works ok. Perhaps, your just doing something in the wrong sequence.

Still baffled.
I followed all the steps in your post using the ztool supplied on the disk but when i press the transparent button the imageplane goes transparent. This is really annoying!:))

No matter what ztool i load from the disk i still cant get the sphere sub tool to become transparent AND allow edits - any other suggestions?:slight_smile:

I have no idea, but if your selecting the sphere, and its the image plane that’s going transparant then I think you have a problem. I would contact Pixology.

Your definately selecting the Subtool? I think you said you were earlier.

Sorry mate.

Yup im using the sub tools - might throw up a post here and see what answers i get back - im sure im just not doing somethign correctly. Thanks for the help!

S

I just managed to get mine to do the same.

What it was was I was using the Sphere3D instead of the PolySphere. If you use the Sphere3D (which is a parametric object), you need to click on Make Polymesh 3D first. So make sure you do the following.

click on Load Tool
click on PolySphere.ztl
Click on Load Tool
Clickn on ImagePlaneX
Draw the image plane on the canvas
Go into Subtools pallete.
Click on Append
select the polysphere
Select it in Subtools pallete
Click on transparency

should work.

Try it an let me know

Nope still not working!! Im def using the polyshere not the sphere 3d - im going to right down everything im doing now and post it here for a comparison - this is wrecking my head!