ZBrushCentral

hand bones

As a mac user I have recently got zbrush 3 and have been blown away by it, I use blender mostly for 3D and I have been building anatomical models for medical illustrations and animations. I have started importing them into zbrush and sculpting detail onto them starting with the hand. I have used the materials from Arran lewis which help a lot, amazed by his work by the way.

![handbones.jpg|709x840](upload://5AqYTPqOs2leUNCBXSqSik31tdG.jpeg)

Working on the spine and rib cage next, bit wonky but hopefully will be able to straighten it out

![torsomodel.jpg|615x462](upload://sRRigjpRHIXAPZKFf4xTJgQVv2S.jpeg)

hi matb
thanks for the comment on my sculpt…
i like the model you have going. it looks very detailed.
i dont know a lot about skeletal structure yet… but i think that your putting a lot of work into it.

would you be able to share any good reference you have used for bone structure or muscle?

thanks again
Merry christmas

hi krighten
I mostly use books for reference, i would recommend Clemente anatomy, a regional atlas of the human body, great for muscles and anything by Frank Netter very clear and easy to understand.
If you are in the UK the Hunterian museum in London is worth a look.
This is my latest update, added the skull still tweaking the proportions, I am going to continue adding bones as seperate subtools until i get a complete skeleton.

![torsolatest.jpg|606x454](upload://hdtZADs5GY7cRG10tMKJCVCHs3z.jpeg)

Hi Matb,

This is exciting to see, and its coming along great. I am looking forward to seeing the spine developing. I will keep coming back and having a look at this. Thanks for your kind words. keep pushing things, and also to let you know i will be releasing some renders after xmas which will show skeleton and muscle strip downs that may help. :slight_smile:

Arran Lewis

Hi
thanks Arran, i have found your thread extremely useful. I like the way you use zspheres for the base mesh, I have tried using them a bit but cant get my head round it yet but will certainly have another go at some point. Cant wait to see your latest renders.
This is the model a bit further along.

![latestskeleton.jpg|744x605](upload://xntZmK1mqvgeB3Jo2ArMfM5ffEc.jpeg)

Awsome bones man!
Congrats on the great work.

Looking good matb. I’m also a medical 3d guy. Don’t know how detailed you’re looking to get with this, but the ribs should bifurcate, and each end of the bifurcation should connect with two adjacent vertebrae at their demi-facets.

-Dustin

Nice work man…what do they have in the Hunterian museum dude?

cheers,
Lewis.

Thanks dustinbrown, the ribs have been the trickiest bit so far, I want to put as much detail as I can into the model and I need to get it as accurate as possible.
The Hunterian museum is at the royal college of surgeons and is a collection of human and animal specimens by a victorian collector. Quite alot of good bone reference. The bodyworlds tour has recently opened a new exhibition in London and it doesnt get much better than that for muscle reference. They had an artists night in Manchester a few months ago where they closed the exhibition to the general public and let a small group of artists sit and sketch the models which was very useful. Hopefully they might do something similar in the London exhibition.

managed to do quite a bit more on the arm and scapula

![skeleton2.jpg|747x727](upload://x7nUMK159FNr0Yo7gzA1gz9YOo8.jpeg)![closearms.jpg|1013x446](upload://3z0ogxVX19lEMQXM5fyD2lauunY.jpeg)

This is amazing work. Can you share any details of your workflow please? Mesh workflow thanks.

hi
another update, started sculpting the bottom two vertebrae, will be starting on the pelvis next. Couldnt resist adding some vasculature to see how it would look.
Workflow is pretty standard really, I make a simple base mesh in blender and export it as an obj file. Then import it into zbrush divide it a couple of times under the geometry tab and sculpt the basic form. Then divide a couple more times to sculpt the finer details.

![skeleton1.jpg|426x1176](upload://wAMWePBnJaiN6NTm78swAMFEMq7.jpeg)![skeleton2.jpg|442x1176](upload://9gtkc2fcYXhD9jP5JYKtdg4EI14.jpeg)![pelvisclose.jpg|713x687](upload://ng0NfOhTSwjeAUEWgNvI5q1MEqi.jpeg)

hi
a small update on my anatomy model, this is my second attempt at some of the muscles and tendons on the arm.
I am finding it difficult to judge the thickness of the muscles, i think once I have got all of the muscles in I can tweek them around until I get the shape of the arm. The muscles are very low res at the first subdivision level.

![handbrush.jpg|1100x1126](upload://nd7f0DIeKsg34rOkFOwi9xHVMKX.jpeg)

Attachments

handbrush.jpg

Another update on the muscles of the arm muscleupdate.jpg

Attachments

muscleupdate.jpg

Fantastic job matb … You are doing a great reference for us :slight_smile:

Hi matb, this is some great work man! Unbelievable detailing on the hand bones! I’m a big fan of Arran’s work, so it’ll come as no suprise that I’ll follow yours closely as well! :+1: !

ya dese are gr8 references for us. thanx

Thanks for the comments on the model so far, if anyone spots any mistakes let me know.

![nextupdate.jpg|642x545](upload://tfMXJFLePF0wm2F62ilSTmuuaDq.jpeg)

Another update on the muscles of the upper limb with a bit of texturing

![colourmuscle.jpg|1090x833](upload://oKHolIRevU5F4HdcTJwkZGeyL5s.jpeg)