I really like the poly paint, how did you manage to make it look like it's so blended?

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Good to see some more of your work ;-) I dig the new stuff.

Brian - Thanks man!

Sora Na - Well, unfortunately ZBrush's layers only work with displacement, you can't use them for polypainting. So I basically just took the approach of dialing my RGB intensity way down and misting colors in. I got a good base coat down, then brought my intensity down to like 5-15, then just slowly begain to build up color layers. Right now I'm trying to find a good balance between it looking natural, but visually interesting. Earthy, but not bland.

I think I need to take the green back and use some more grey-brown, then go back in and make vertain areas pop. I'd also like to add some patterning on his back.

-Dustin

Its funny you mention the layers and polypaint issue. I thought about using layers on a project of mine, and quickly realized that it only works with displacement. This would be a great addition for the next Zbrush update!

tutorial00.jpg

Ever wonder how some folks put that extra bit of spit-polish on the images they post? It isn't rocket science, folks, and I'm going to show you how. This technique includes:

• Depth of Field
    • Chromatic Aberration
    • Grain
    • Vignetting
    The method used here utilizes ZBrush 3.1 and Photoshop CS4, and it takes about five minutes, tops, once you know what you're doing.

Set the document size to the size you want to post on the web. The width I see most people use is in the 800 to 1000 pixel range, by whatever height you need for your composition.

Once you have that set, hit the Document>Double button.

Now hit the AAHalf button.

Draw your ZTool on the canvas, hit the p hot key to activate perspective mode, then position your tool to your liking. Apply whatever material or MatCap you want. I'm using BasicMaterial here.

tutorial01.jpg

We're going to export two image files: the primary image and a depth pass.

Export the primary image as a PSD.

tutorial02.jpg

To export the depth pass, Go in the Alpha menu and hit GrabDoc.

tutorial03.jpg

You'll see the depth pass move into your Alpha pallet. It's already selected, so just go in the Alpha Pallet and click Export to save it as PSD.

tutorial04.jpg

Onward to Photoshop! Open both PSD files in Photoshop. The first thing to be aware of is that your primary image exported from ZBrush at the AAHalf size (the size you want to put online), but the depth pass exported at the full size of your document. All you need to do to the depth pass in PhotoShop is scale it down 50%.

tutorial05.jpg

Ctrl+a to select the entire image, then Ctrl+c to copy the image to the clipboard.

Now switch over to your primary image.

In the Layers pallet, select the background layer and duplicate it once. You can delete the original background layer if you wish. We duplicated it because we want to add a layer mask, and PhotoShop won't let you add layer masks to the original background layer. So with your duplicate layer selected, click the Add Layer Mask Button.

tutorial06.jpg

Select the mask, then go into the Channels pallet. Unhide the mask channel and hide the RGB channel. With the mask channel selected Ctrl+v to paste your depth pass from the clipboard into the mask channel.

Hide the mask channel and unhide the RGB channel.

tutorial07.jpg

Go back to the Layers pallet, right click the mask and choose Disable Layer Mask. We're doing this because we don't actually want to use it as a layer mask, we just want to use it as an input for the depth of field effect.

tutorial08.jpg

Switch your selection from the layer mask to the layer, then go Filter>Blur>Lens Blur.

For the depth source choose Layer Mask, and adjust the focal distance to your liking. Cranking it all the way up to 255 typically works for me. Hit OK when you're done.

tutorial09.jpg

Now go to Filter>Distort>Lens Correction

Uncheck "Show Grid" at the bottom if you find the grid distracting - I do. In the Chromatic Aberration section, dial red down to -50, and dial yellow up to +50. That chokes the image around the edges, so in the Edge drop down at the bottom, choose Edge Extension. Problem solved.

In the Vignette section in the middle, dial it all the way down to -100. Hit OK to exit the Lens Correction interface.

tutorial10.jpg

For the final touch, go Filter>Noise>Add Noise. A little goes a long way, so keep the it at a low value, like 1 to 5. Uniform vs gaussian and monochromatic vs colored are up to you. Hit OK when you're done.

tutorial11.jpg

NOTE: Lens Blur does have a noise section in it, so you could alternatively add your noise there, but I prefer to add it to the entire image as a final step. I like the look of it better, it's just a personal preference.

That's it, mystery solved!

This certainly isn't the only way to get these results, it's just the fastest way I've found to get them. If you know of another way, I encourage you to share it.
    Last edited by dustinbrown; 04-04-09 at 12:11 AM.

Oh wow, thanks for sharing!
    Dustin
    .:|Sketch Book |:.

Thanks Dustin! I have never seen this method before, I appreciate you sharing your wisdom :-) I picked up a lot from you and STILL continue to learn good techniques from you. Thanks again!

Anatomy exercise.
    wip01_thumb.jpg

wip01.jpg
    Last edited by dustinbrown; 04-15-09 at 09:18 PM.

Awesome Job on the skull dustin. Very real, plan on polypainting or rendering it? As always, good work.

Very nice skulls and thanks for sharing your tutorial, most helpful.

Beautiful Pachy,, cant believe I didnt saw your thread earlier.
    The red crest detail is just awesome.
    I would add those boney scales all over his back, in few rows, and color them brightly red, combined with bluish dull undercolor, with patches of brighter blue,,actually the possibilities are endless.
    You are on the good way till now.
    Everything else is good also, but I prefer dinosaurs,, and from what I see, you good at it, so,, for me, more dinos' plz

Cheers!

Member Follow User Gallery

Default Cant get Zdepth

Hello

Great tutorial, I am having a problem and it would really appreciative some help. When I hit Grabdoc , I just get a alpha no depth information! what is it that I am doing wrong?

Any ideas? Let me know

Cheers

Bryan: Thanks dude. Probably won't polypaint or render this guy unless down the road I need a skull (or skulls) for a larger piece. I need to work on the teeth some more, they kind of look like playdoe right now

DigitalDreamer: Cheers!

air: Thanks, I just needed to take a little brake from it. I'll come back to it with fresh eyes.

Mint: Hm, the alpha and the depth map are one in the same in this case. For example, when I processed the skull above, my alpha looked like this:

wip01e_depth300px.jpg

If your alpha is coming out completely black or completely white, there may be a scaling issue in which the scale of your tool isn't working well within the document. Deformation>Unify can sometimes help with this, but if you have multiple subtools you'll have to merge them with SubTool Master first. Give each subtool it's own polygroup, merge everything with subtool master, unify, then break it back up into subtools if you wish, using the polygroups to aid the process.

db
    Last edited by dustinbrown; 04-16-09 at 11:51 AM.

Very nice, thank you!
    sadicus | My Gumroad | w10 | nvidia GeForce 680M |
    Soft kitty, Warm kitty, Little ball of fur. Happy kitty, Sleepy kitty, Purr Purr Purr

Member Follow User Gallery

Thanks for the reply

Here is an image of the tool I am using and the results i am getting
    and what I would like to get

="http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/attachment.php?attachmentid=136874">

I will try fixing the scale and let u know how I am getting on

Thanks again for your reply I do really appreciate it

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1234511 ... LastLast