ZBrushCentral

Pixologic Presents: Action Hero Contest

WINNERS ANNOUNCED!
Community judging is over and the winners have been determined.
CLICK HERE to read the announcement and congratulate the winners.

Many Thanks to Everyone who Participated!

http://www.pixologic.com/contest/hero

Attachments

ZBC-Launch-Top.jpg

ZBC-Launch-Bottom.jpg

ZBC-Icon-Now.jpg

excellent!

Oh i am all about this kinda stuff. Goes off to think about heros

Wonderful! It’ll be a great pleasure take part on this. Thanks for this contest, Pixologic guys.

it has began, new super heroes will soon emerge from magic clay of ZBrush world…! :eek:

personally i like the rules of the contest, it’s easy to create any known character from existing super heroes from comics, but this is something totally different, exciting and more challenging… someone could end up with a chance to see his hero in full movie also :D, oh boy…i wish i would have the imagination power like STAN LEE ;).

just 1 question here guys, like mentioned in rules we have to describe the hero’s powers. so my question is when u say powers…is it has to be like super speed, super strength, invisibility etc.? or if we show courage, determination etc. as primary powers will it be also consider as powers? i mean think of it for sec. guys, not everybody has it…! :wink:

Very very cool contest… :cool:

i m gonna take part in this chellnge…
Hope i get time to do it. really busy with work these days. but i will give it a try…

Hmmmmmm… I entered the halloween challenge,…put lots of effort into my entry only to have zcentral in effect “not bother” simply because of a lack of entries.

Good luck to everyone on this…looking forward to seeing results but i wont be bothering myself.

Joyeux Noel to you all…

www.peterminister.com

A question: Is it possible to use Photoshop or another photo editing soft to improve final image, adding blurs, noise, etc.?

Are we allowed to use another 3D Renders besides one in Zbrush for completing final image. I mean like Vray, Mental ray and others?

I could not find any info about using Photoshop in the contest rules … ?

aloud or not ?

thanks

Is it strictly heroes then? I was looking forward to doing a super-villain…

Oh, also, make sure everyone reads the page concerning the mandatory 3D printability of the model…its going to greatly affect what you can and can’t do, and limit your freedom with the model, as they must be watertight and not have overly complex overlapping parts:

http://www.pixologic.com/contest/hero/rules/

The finished model must also stand on a small pedestal base. Inanimate elements are allowed on this base if they contribute toward the drama of the finished character’s pose, or are necessary to support the character after 3D printing. Because three winning entries will be output via 3D printing, it would be beneficial to keep the format’s requirements in mind:

• All parts should have some thickness.
  • >
  • All parts should intersect each other. Nothing should be free-floating.
  • >
  • All individual objects should be “watertight” (i.e. no holes).
  • >
  • All normals need to face outward
  • >
  • Avoid back face crashing through to the front. Clothes-extract with extra thickness to avoid crash through (Turn on double sided to verify).
  • >
  • The 3D print winner will be required to submit the finished ZTL file to Offload Studios for processing. Keep all sub-tools steps in tact.
  • >
  • Offload will work with the winning artist to realize their vision using either a texture they provide or an Ambient Occlusion Bake custom texture.
  • >
  • If you win the 3D print, you will be allowed to make final adjustments to your hero if they will result in a better quality print. For example, if your character has a cape you would be able to thicken or remove that element before sending the model for printing.

Frankly, this is just too many hoops to jump through for me…Im more of an illustrator than a toy designer. Plus, CG talk steampunk is going on, and there are better prizes over there :wink:

Good luck to everyone!

even after a few moment i think i have changed my mind…
i mean there are too many rules and boundation and stuf flike that…
limitations are insane… :o so i think i wont be taking part. :frowning:

I think that this challenge is for professionals only because no amateur is going to bay 600 dollars worth license.
So after long awaited challenge i am out.

Bingo- It says you can do supervillians. I’m leaning that way myself.

Also, guys, it says that ONLY Zbrush can be used in the final render so I would guess no Photoshop and no rendering in external packages. It says you can use an external package for base mesh only.

Thanks for announcing this at the END of the week Pixo! I would have lost 5 days work doodling superheros!lol

I can’t wait!

Super Hero (and villain) lore has a good number of examples of people with no inherent powers. Batman, for example, uses his detective skills, disguise, and lots of cool gadgets. The Joker is a psychopath with a knack for knives and explosives. Iron Man is a a rich guy in a fancy suit. In these examples, (if the rules allowed you to use established characters) you would describe how they operate or the kinds of things their equipment allows them to do.

From the rules: “A high quality render (done in ZBrush) of your finished model. Additional renders showing areas of detail may also be submitted. Incorporating your character into a scene is optional, and won’t be taken into consideration by the judging panel. (Although it might influence the popular vote if your character is selected as a finalist.)

If you want to do post-render work with Photoshop, that’s allowed. It will be treated the same as incorporating your character into a scene. In other words, it may affect the popular vote, but it won’t influence the preliminary judging by our panel. They will be focused on your displayed ZBrush skills as shown through your model, your WIP, and your work with TransPose.

No. The rules call for “A high quality render (done in ZBrush) of your finished model.” This is a ZBrush contest; not a Vray, Mental ray, etc. contest.

From the introduction: “The challenge this time around is to create an original superhero or villian…” Villains are allowed. :slight_smile:

Also keep in mind that, “If you win the 3D print, you will be allowed to make final adjustments to your hero if they will result in a better quality print. For example, if your character has a cape you would be able to thicken or remove that element before sending the model for printing.” This means that your entry does not have to be perfect for 3D printing. If you win one of the print prizes you will be able to make the necessary adjustments to get the character ready for printing.

What’s this about a 600$ license? for what, to enter the contest? don’t understand.

I AM IN FOR THIS ONE!! I thought we were gonna be able to do established characters so i was sketching out Zorro all week. But this is even better! I have been developing a hero for quite a while. Time to finish him off.

Judging will be based on three requirements:

• Success in portraying the contest theme.
  • >
  • Quality of the finished artwork. We’re looking for a 3D model with great form and terrific detail.
  • >
  • Displayed ZBrush skill, especially with sculpting, SubTools, TransPose, and TransPose Master.
  • >

The mac version can handel alot more polygons then the PC version so I hope that Pixologic releases 3.5 on time as announced: so everyone can start at the same page.

You may use any and all ZBrush features, including SubTools, HD Sculpting, PolyPaint and TransPose.
Nothing about zapplink here in combination with a 2d texturing app like photoshop for texturing, but all means all right???(or solely polypaint for texturing???)
(all…no all->descendents :wink: )

Thanks