Default Action Hero - Captain Hornet

Entrant: Adrien Debos

Action Hero: Captain Hornet

Hi everyone! I'm back from holidays and very excited to join this contest. Here is the quick concept of my hero: Captain Hornet!
    Have fun everyone!

Cpt_Hornet_Concept01.jpg

Summary:

On a remote Japanese island, Lord Quentin Wilson, a biochemist and entomologist born into a British aristocratic family, stumbled upon a rare and then yet undiscovered hornet species, the Vespa Mortis. Analysing and learning from those astounding and exceptional insects, he used all his newly found knowledge to built a suit so that he'd become Captain Hornet - a man fighting against the evil doings of the highly secretive WB Association, a criminal organisation generating revenues from the poaching and selling of protected animal species, with a grudge against the British royal family dating back to the Black Act of 1723.

Backstory:

In 1920, Lord Quentin Wilson was born into an aristocratic British family. Growing up as a kid in the city of Wokingham, south east of London, he developed a strong passion for insects and later went on to become one of the world's foremost biochemists and entomologists, specializing in Hymenopterans (bees, wasps, hornets…). Besides being an incredibly talented scientist, he was also a very athletic and agile man, holding black belts in several martial arts.

Among Quentin's ancestors one can find Lord Alfred Wilson (1689-1742) who was an advisor to King Georges I and at the origin of the Black Act, passed by the parliament of Great Britain in 1723, in response to a group of bandits and poachers known as the 'Wokingham Blacks'. Under the Black Act, a variety of poaching-related crimes became felonies, which meant that they could potentially be punished by death. Officially, the Wokingham Blacks came to an end, but secretly the group endured and grew ever so slowly into an international criminal organization. Generating huge revenues from the poaching of protected animal species, the secret group now called the WB Association nurtured their hatred against the royal family that had tried to end their activities, and they were scheming every day, in order to carry out their final plan: the assassination of the Royal family’s head, the Queen.

As an environmental activist Quentin Wilson traveled across the globe giving conferences to denounce animal massacres and poaching. Leading his own investigation on an ivory smugglers network of Eastern Africa, he was chocked to discover the existence of the WB Association behind all that, and how it was connecting him to his own family past.

To continue his ancestor's fight against this evil corporation of crooks and protect endangered animals across the world more effectively, Quentin decided he had to do something.

Shortly after the Second World War had ended, Quentin went on a research trip to the sacred Japanese island of Miyajima, located just a few miles south of Hiroshima. There, he studied for years what he thought to be a mutation of the Asian Giant Hornet (Vespa mandarinia). The giant hornet of Japan was already known as the most dangerous hornet species in the world, but the specimens he discovered in the tropical jungle of this little island could make even more deadly stings.

Wilson's analysis on the venom of this new insect, that he would call Vespa Mortis afterwards, revealed that it contained such an abnormally concentrated level of the neurotoxin mandaratoxin that a single sting could stimulate the pain nerve fibers of an entire human body and dissolve human tissue. Another component in these hornets' deadly venom he identified as a volatile alarm pheromone (2-methyl-3-butene-2-ol or MBO) that attracted more hornets to the stung victim. Besides secreting this lethal venom, these "Hornets of Death" also boasted incredible levels of resistance and strength through the consumption of larval secretions.

Wilson quickly succeeded to synthetically recreate the Vespa Mortis' venom, pheromones and larval secretions and started working on a high technology suit that would enable a human to use these biochemical weapons:
    • A poisonous stingers projector on his right forearm pad, capable of adapting the amount of mandaratoxin emitted to either paralyze the enemy or simply kill him.
    • Synthetic larval secretions at a very concentrated level getting introduced into the blood of the suit's owner, instantly enhancing his physical abilities. After additional tests it appeared that these secretions had also a regenerating effect and noticeably increased the subject's longevity.
    • A large cape saturated with MBO pheromones and a Vespa Mortis nest mounted on the back to provide immediate support when in danger.
    • In a Mark2 version of the suit, as cybernetic sciences continued to evolve, a mask was added that provided enhanced spatial perception (increased angle of vision and distance of sight, improved reactivity and perception in the dark, motion sensors…)
    With this high tech suit and this armada of biochemical weapons, all based on his research on the Vespa Mortis, Quentin Wilson became Captain Hornet.

And here is the doodle of the head that I used for my concept:

Cpt_Hornet_Head01.jpg

Thanks for reading!
    Adrien Debos
    Portfolio

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Default Wow

I love your design!! I think this character has MUCH potential. Would be nice if the eye masks would be smaller, covering only his eyes. Because the brow detail is just awesome!! Keep at it.
    Fausto Tejeda
    Creature Artist
    www.pixolclay.com

Member Follow User Gallery

Attractive stylization. You call that a doodle?

I LOVE IT!!! Good to see you in the challenge!

Member Follow User Gallery

Yeah! here you are with a real Pandex concept heros...and I love it.
    I can't wait to learn more (again) about your workflow, good luck !

Amazing story and great concept sketch.. he really looks royal
    I love his powers... especially the pheromone cape
    excellent idea

Kool sketch and concept!! love his sylvester stallone lips..

hey goldo_o!

great story and dang cool head sketch.
    looking forward to follow this.
    good luck.

-r
    rasmus warming
    rasmusw.dk

Awesome start/sketch/doodle!

Keep it up.

Funny character
    Very good concept and stylized work.
    Keep it up
    Last edited by mariofurtado; 01-04-09 at 08:33 AM.

Wow, the concept and the sketch render are awesome. Captain Hornet will be one cool entry! Look forward for more!

@pixolClay: Thank you! I too was a little sad to cover his funny face with a mask, but I did these tests and at the end, the third one remains the most interesting to me (the 4th one would have mess his haircut, that's a no-no ).
    Cpt_Hornet_Head02.jpg
    However, if I have time, I'd love to make a second render with his mask off.

Thanks everyone for the kind words! Yesterday I took a 3D plane and a Zshpere and started to think about the pose I'd like to make at the end. The proportions are not correct, but I think I'd like to do something like this lateral dive, where Cpt Hornet would aim somebody with his stringers projector.
    Cpt_Hornet_Pose01.jpg
    Let me know what you think of it.

Cheers,
    Adrien Debos
    Portfolio

That test pose's so dynamic..I love it..and it's quite unique as well, having his cape as the base of the the sculpture.

Great story concept model !!!

For me the best potential and work so far

Page 1 of 19 123410 ... LastLast