ZBrushCentral

HelixDnB's SketchBook and WIP madness!

So journey along with me as we go through the trials and tribulations of learning ZBrush and making my zbrushing more-gooder!

I’ve only been doing it for a short time (I’d say since September really) but since then I’ve been picking it up more and more - picking up tricks and techniques and whatnot. Different ideas and different things to try out. Especially by browsing this forum and cgtalk amongst others - provides an endless amount of inspiration and amazement as well.

Without further adieu:

Alien Head Guy (WIP):

Been working on this guy for quite a while now when I have the time to do so (an hour here, 30 mins there, etc) and he’s been progressing steadily over-time. Here’s the latest with him:

fronthead.jpg

Let me know what you guys think - as always, comments and critique are quite welcome!

-Helix

Attachments

sidehead.jpg

backhead.jpg

othersidehead.jpg

pillar.jpg

skullpil-1a.jpg

skullpil-1b.jpg

skullpil-2a.jpg

skullpil-2b.jpg

Another one I started this morning - Kinda taking a little bit of an idea from the PacMan up on the top row - Killer Hershey’s Kiss - Because they’re just tired of being so goddamn delicious!

Only 20 mins so far but, it’s coming along.

[attach=124704]kiss1.jpg[/attach]
[attach=124705]kiss2.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

kiss1.jpg

kiss2.jpg

In an attempt to do something new/improve on something every day, this is something I was working on today during after effects rendering. I’ll be doing much more to it - as of right now it’s just getting the base armor setup/looking right before I can focus on the rest.

[attach=124706]soldierfront.jpg[/attach]
[attach=124708]soldierback.jpg[/attach]

Very early stages for this one.

Attachments

soldierfront.jpg

soldierback.jpg

Some more stuff - keeping with the “Something new every day” theme.

First an update to the killer kiss:

[attach=124698]kiss3.jpg[/attach]

Now, some work I did for starting to work on 1 of the arms of the alien guy:

[attach=124699]arm1.jpg[/attach]
[attach=124700]arm2.jpg[/attach]
[attach=124701]arm3.jpg[/attach]

Let me know what you guys think!

Attachments

kiss3.jpg

arm1.jpg

arm2.jpg

arm3.jpg

Another pillar face:
[attach=126586]1.jpg[/attach]
[attach=126587]2.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

1.jpg

2.jpg

Hey there, welcome to ZBC. I like alot of your concepts, but I think you would really benifit from doing some anatomy studies to understand the basic structure of bipeds and then apply your concepts to them. I can’t wait to see your progress! :+1:

I want to thank you for replying - it kinda kicked my ass in the right direction. I knew that I had to learn the anatomy side of it but I was always just like “ehhhh, I’ll just doodle something” - can’t get better that way yanno?

So I got the ZBrush Character Creation book and I’ve been following it along. Here’s the latest and greatest with it. To say the least I’m pleased with the progress as it’s actually much more anatomically realistic than any of the other things I’ve been doing. I actually started another creature head before looking through the book and I can already tell about different things that I can now go ahead and do to fix that guy and make him SO much better even from 1 chapter alone.

Anyway, here’s the guy, he’s not done obviously, but, I’m gonna be working on him later to add more detail and realism. He started from a PolySphere. I just wanted to get the basic forms and structures down before I jumped into any detailing:

[attach=127070]1.jpg[/attach]
[attach=127071]2.jpg[/attach]

Let me know what you guys think!

Attachments

1.jpg

2.jpg

gday helix,nice work m8 ,i like what u have done with the proportions of your sculpts,one thing i must ask helix,is the first sculpt john merrick? gr8 stuff!!

John Merrick? Can’t say I know who that is actually. The first sculpt is one that started out as the basic human head model that comes with ZBrush and I just went from there to see where it went. I didn’t have anything that I was going for from the beginning (actually he was a friendly guy until I added the face to the back part of his head - it was going to be just an alien head until I thought “hmmm, what would it look like with a face right here?”, which turned him into a disfigured monstrosity).

Thanks for the looks and the comments!

Some updates:

[attach=132864]1.jpg[/attach]

[attach=132865]2.jpg[/attach]

[attach=132866]3.jpg[/attach]

Been really working on the anatomy of him for most of it rather than dealing with any major detailing. So far it’s the best work I’ve done - anatomy wise. It’s for the weekly mini-challenge going on right now. So far so good - gonna work on getting everything set before I go about detailing.

Let me know what you think!

Attachments

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

hi there, good work

But I was wondering why this is in the top row?? (no offense to anyone)
Cheers

I don’t see it in the top row?

sorry about that man… no offense…

Can someone post a screengrab? I seriously don’t see my stuff anywhere near the top row. And don’t worry, im totally in agreement that my stuff right now doesn’t belong at all in the top row. I’m nowhere near the level of “top row”

Here’s my top row as I see it:

[attach=133337]toprow.jpg[/attach]

I dunno what the heck’s going on tbh. :qu:

Attachments

toprow.jpg

Here is what the top of a page looks like INSIDE the forums. The “top” row is for work that is being pointed out for some reason or another…usually outstanding work as well as informative.
the next “top” row is a small gallery (if you will) of the most recent posted images to the forums.

this is what it should look like. and your images show up in it.
[[attach=133353]top-row.jpg[/attach]]top-row.jpg

your stuff probably got “knocked off”
there were just too many recently submitted stuff.
why not try deviantart.com you get your own gallery there.

Helix, Get rid of the new theme everyday concept… Instead try and stay focused on one model every week. Work on that model until you know that it is close enough to what you are referencing… than work on it more!

You now have some great tools from the book you purchased - with that and your desire to learn - you’ll be own your way to top row stasis in no time, if that is what you desire. For now, you don’t need anyone here telling you that your great or the lesser - you know you have work to do - for that matter - everyone here does… (I think?) Hang out at the Tutorials Forum and learn as much as you can, but truly learn it… know it - own it!
And most important - remember to have fun!

Best of luck -

Hi Helixdnb! Nice concept on the alien head guy! I think SixxPixels gave you some good advice! Keep goin’ man! :+1: !