ZBrushCentral

BigD17's sketchbook

Hi everyone,

In attempt to make myself practice more, as well as get some comments and criticism from all the amazingly talented artists on ZBC, I thought I would throw my hat into the sketchbook thread.

So here is a model I have been working on recently. It is a Wolverine (Yeah … I know … another one!! :D) The inspiration for this model comes from Ultimates 3 drawn by Joe Madureira. I am a huge fan of his style.

Originally, this model was just meant to be a ZSphere bust doodle, but then I got into it and the whole thing grew a little. (Not sure whether the model would be better presented in Black and White)

As always, comments and criticism would be greatly appreciated. Hope you like some of the work.

Cheers!!

[JMad_Wolv_CloseUp_v001 copy.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘138710’,‘JMad_Wolv_Sheet_v003%20copy.jpg’,1,0))

Attachments

JMad_Wolv_Sheet_v003 copy.jpg

Here is a quick sculpt I did one evening. More to come soon.

[BullFish_v001 copy.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘138682’,‘BullFish_v001%20copy.jpg’,1,0))

The base mesh for this head was modelled in Maya then into ZBrush for some detailing. Think I need to go back and add in some more skin details and also I would love to texture it using the images I used for reference.

Comments and Crits welcome as always.

[Emanuel.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘138683’,‘Emanuel.jpg’,1,0))

These are some older ZBrush models that were created from an XSI base mesh and then just sculpted to practice anatomy.

[foot_study.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘138713’,‘hand_study.jpg’,1,0))

Attachments

hand_study.jpg

Just thought I would have a play about with the pose a little… trying to make it look a little more dynamic.

[JMad_Wolv_Sheet_v004 copy.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘138900’,‘JMad_Wolv_Sheet_v004%20copy.jpg’,1,0))

Quite a different take on Wolverine than the tall, handsome, controlled Hugh Jackman version they portray in the movies. Much closer to the comics. Nice fierceness to him. :+1:

Hi Derek - Thanks very much for posting. Glad you like the model. Yeah, I am a big fan of the original design. As I said this was inspired by an image by Joe Madureira so I can’t take much credit, although I would like to think that I added a few of my own touches.

Thanks again for posting.

For anyone who hasn’t seen the image I am referring to here it is:

[attach=138956]JMad_Wolv_LR.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

JMad_Wolv_LR.jpg

Here is a character sheet of my latest model. I created a base mesh in XSI and have just started to add in the details in ZBrush.

I haven’t modelled a female character before, so really looking forward to this, but a bit nervous at the same time.

Would really like to know what people think of the design and the model so far.

[

](javascript:zb_insimg(‘139139’,‘Ana_Strip_v001.jpg’,1,0))

Just a quick sketch of a cheetah head as a bit of practice.

[Cheetah.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘139460’,‘Cheetah.jpg’,1,0))

Hey BigD…Killer models man! I wish I could sculpt half that good…:smiley: . Got this thread marked…look forward to seeing more. L8R.

Hey Bud_E, thanks very much, it means a lot.

Just thought I would keep this thread rolling with a small update. Haven’t had much time to make a lot of progress on this model but here is where I am at so far. Hope you like.

[Ana_v002.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘141704’,‘Ana_v002.jpg’,1,0))

Good job! I like this super hero.:+1:

This is a model of Anubis. I am kind of designing my version on the fly so at the moment I have no idea where it is going to go.

The model was made with ZSpheres and then retopologised after the initial form had been blocked in.

As always comments and crits would be really appreciated.

Cheers!!

[

](javascript:zb_insimg(‘148479’,‘Anubis_WIP_v001.jpg’,1,0))

No critics here :smiley:
i love the Anubis, definitely goes to my inspiration folder :+1: keep posting

Here is a quick update. Have started to think about the costume and have added some teeth and gums.

Everything still needs a bit of work.

Comments and crits would be appreciated as ever.

[Anubis_WIP_v002.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘149832’,‘Anubis_WIP_v002.jpg’,1,0))

Very nice work!

Would it be good to soften some of the muscle detail? He looks like every muscle in his body is flexed but he is in a relaxed pose. That’s not a critique on your modeling at all, it looks amazing! I see it quite often, and do it myself, that the sculpts have 0.1% body fat and every muscle and tendon is ready to strike, like Bruce Lee right before he beats you with his nunchaku.

His feet look a bit less realized than the rest of him.

Great work regardless, would love to see some textures and renders!

Edit: this was regarding the Anubis pictures, specifically the newest one.

Looking foreward to seeing Anubis finished. I am really liking it!

:smiley: great job

overmind82 - Thank you!

deep - Thanks!

phhmlw - Thanks! Yeah I know what you mean. The image was a kind of first anatomy pass I have started to go back over the model and soften it a bit. I do want him to be pretty lean though. You are right the feet haven’t really been touched yet. Going to make the claws and then have a crack at the toes at the same time.

Sazdum - Thanks you!

Therapy777 - Thanks!

Here is a quick WIP close up of the head. Not really sure what kind of dog it is supposed to be, somewhere between a Doberman and a Great Dane at the moment :smiley:

Just trying to sketch some ideas for his costume before I dive straight in.

c&c welcome as ever.

Cheers!

[Anubis_Head_WIP_v001.jpg]

Another quick update on the Anubis model.

I have started to add in some pieces of armour. Think I might re-visit a few of the bit as I am not overly happy with them at the moment.

c & c welcome as ever.

Cheers!!

[attach=152563]Anubis_WIP_v003.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

Anubis_WIP_v003.jpg