Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Default Sketchbook - Point

Hi everyone, thought it was about time I started a sketchbook.

I had to have a go at Paintstop so here's my first post a paintstop piece, it did'nt work out as well as I hoped. Still can't get paintstop to apply colour in wet strokes on top of other strokes without them merging.

Starry Night 002 sml.jpg
    Last edited by Point; 08-15-09 at 02:23 AM.

ohhh this is a impressive drawing mate ......really nice .....i guess the orginal one is a world famous drawing mmmm to be honnest can't remember the name but you've done a splendid job there .....keep us posted with more drawings ok

agrmrs - Thanks for the kind words, the original is Starry Night by Van Gogh. I don't think I will be doing alot of drawing, I have a very cheap tablet and because I have two monitors it only works for half the tablet, which makes it extremely difficult to draw.

Etcher - Thanks dude, appreciate the comment....alot. I think it would have been better if I had started with a coloured canvas and done some underpainting. It was a good way to learn why he was such a great painter, so many variations in tone. I tried to capture the loaded brush with deep strokes but could'nt quite get it to work, the wet on wet mixed the colours and the dry brush painted over the high points of the existing strokes. Just a 1 on the paint daubs filter on PS makes a huge difference. But I was pleased seeing it was my 1st digital painting.

Starry Night 003 sml.jpg

Well it's a great first effort!!! I can see how the technical difficulties would be frustrating. Honestly, I don't think Paint Stop would be my choice to attempt this level of digital impressionism, so it's a cracking job to my mind, and what's more quite beautiful!

Thanks, I'm not sure how I am going to solve the problem of only being able to use half the tablet because of the dual monitor setup, I suspect that with a professional level tablet (this one was $75, about $30US ) you can setup parameters like having dual monitors.

Got a new tablet and started doing ahead a day, this ones the first one.

Head 001.jpg
    Last edited by Point; 09-26-09 at 04:47 PM.

hey Point,
    Intuos 4? Just got my new one; it's fab!!! Love having all those programmable buttons down one side. Pressure sensitivity is greyed out in ZB 3.5r2.
    Not sure if that's just me or if the new tablet drivers are an issue?

No Intuos3, I don't have Preasure Sensitivity button is it in Preferences>Tablet. If you are talking about Z Sensitivity I'm still not sure about Z Sensitivity and Tablet Imbed, I can't get any difference when I change them.

I got a 2nd hand 9 x 12 for $600 which is about 200 Euro, I could'nt find a 6 x 8, well not untill the day after I bought mine, of course. The 6 x 8 was recommended by every artist whose work I admire but the big one can fit on my lap and I have reduced the working area to suit. Still trying to figure out button settings. I'm off to try a keystroke combination for zoom in ZBrush on the touch strip and then try and get some brushes set on the right hand side buttons and and brush size on the right touch strip.

The above head anatomy was done from memory because I want to see how much I have commited to memory of Ryan Kingslien's Head Anatomy Tut. Which I'm using as a benchmark and will use from begining to end on the next one.

At the moment I am keeping the Z intensity at 100, so I can put alot of clay on. So I can get features down quick until my heads get better then I will start refining with less intesity. I'm trying for anatomical correctness and character, any comments would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Point; 09-26-09 at 04:46 PM.

Next Head.

Head 002.jpg

Next Head. Not getting what I want, reworked the skin and tissue on top of muscles about 4 times using rake and smooth and it got worse and worse losing all the form, so onto the next one.

Head 004.jpg

Another head, sculpted with perspective on,next one I will turn it off.
    Still loosing form when raking, this is before raking.

Head 005.jpg

Hey Point,

i found I had similar problems of cellulite-itis when try to smooth at higher sub-divisions.
    Rather than smoothing at a high z intensity in a high sub-d, i find it much better to lower the sub-d and smooth with less intensity.
    Also, using clay tubes can give a good flattened stroke that evens out thos bumps

cheers bro
    H

thanks for the tip H, I'll try that. I'm a bit short on time, so I might try some studies on Ears, Eyes, Nose and Mouth, and then come back to the heads.