Default Wyatt's 3.5 thoughts and sketchbook

I never made one of these for whatever reason so now seems a great time to start with the release of ZB 3.5 and of course to carry into the release of 4.

Got my email this morning, installed and activated without issue. Actually this was the easiest install for ZBrush yet. So far so good. I'll have more shortly.

So my first experiment with 3.5. Loaded a 3.1 tool, and you'll see by the screenshot I immediately ran it up to 15 megapolys. Sculpting at this level was as smooth as the lowest level. By comparison 3.1 would do about 3MP on this machine smoothly and get bogged down around 6. I then ramped it up to 240 megapolys using HD and sculpted the eyebrows. It was much much slower but I could work with it. 60MP was fine.

The ghosted bit is the new transparancy being applied to a subtool as seen in the ZSphere2 video. That's cool, I didn't realize subtools would act that way as well.

BTW, I'm typing this message with ZB minimized and it dropped the memory usage to 11MB. Memory usage with this tool was 1.2GB. Man oh man. Aces so far Pixologic!

20090912.1.jpg

Don't know if this is new or not but it is for me.

I used to click the scale button to autofit my tool, that function is no longer there. But there is a new way.

F = Fit mesh to view. This button was added above move, scale, rotate.

Edit: Okay, now clicking scale is working. That's odd, didn't work not 5 minutes ago.

Edit Edit: Well, the same object still doesn't scale by the button but no problem I've already adapted to using the "f" key.
    Last edited by Wyatt; 09-12-09 at 04:06 PM.

Experimenting with surface noise. The default settings when you click the 'noise' button are a bit harsh so I lowered the scale and strength and inverted the curve. I like this result so far, subtle seems to be working for human skin.

Now the masking is a thing of beauty. When you sketch the mask you can watch the noise melt away and the falloff blends the noise greatly. First image shows the noise removed from the lips.

20090912.2.jpg

This image shows the mask activated and I discovered another shortcut I haven't used before.

Ctrl+H = Show/Hide Mask. I'm thinking keeping masks long term might be very useful, we shall see.

20090912.3.jpg

First foray into zsketching. It's like sketching and a little not like sketching lol. This will take some practice.

20090912.4.jpg

Following the video and making sure the armature was bound here is a quick pose. With softbind set to 0 the tentacles pretty much broke apart into individual spheres. Set to 100 the tentacles stay as one unit but they lag behind the armature and stretch out. So, if you want to pose it looks like you need to add armature for it. Still pretty pretty cool I must say.

20090912.5.jpg

Later

Member Follow User Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt
    Don't know if this is new or not but it is for me.

I used to click the scale button to autofit my tool, that function is no longer there. But there is a new way.

F = Fit mesh to view. This button was added above move, scale, rotate.

Edit: Okay, now clicking scale is working. That's odd, didn't work not 5 minutes ago.

Edit Edit: Well, the same object still doesn't scale by the button but no problem I've already adapted to using the "f" key.
    Hi Wyatt, u might know it already, but another way is to press alt and left-click outside the model.