Default QP's Sketchbook

To Do: learn anatomy, plan ahead, keep trying
    Last edited by Quentin Preik; 10-01-09 at 11:18 AM.

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Default Wow

.. i can honestly say, i was not expecting to see that.

ZSphere II are AWSOME!
    sadicus | My Gumroad | w10 | nvidia GeForce 680M |
    Soft kitty, Warm kitty, Little ball of fur. Happy kitty, Sleepy kitty, Purr Purr Purr

Default Insect Warrior

Nothing like 3D Doodling with ZSketches!

buglien.jpg

That's a very cool green guy.
    Alonzo Von Threet
    Zbrusher OSX

Red face Trying to learn, not just doodle :)

Thanks, the bug was just starting with no plan etc.

I think i've spent quite enough time with random doodles, I want to start learning to do things right. So I'm starting with a skull.

anatomyskull01.JPG

edit: updated the proportions a bit, added a bit of paint. Looks like he needs braces on the bottom jaw, so I'll have to fix that up now.

Clearly the proportions are messed up from the get go, hopefully I can fix. But I think it's coming along not too bad. Started the main part of the skull from a sphere. The jaw is separate, assembled from zspheres which provided a decent starting point for that (for me) complex shape. Not sure from here if I'll continue on the skeleton, or start turning the skull into an actual face.

(I do have that ZBrush character book, which I need to actually get out at home...so many distractions at home though)
    Last edited by Quentin Preik; 09-25-09 at 08:28 AM.

Question Skull coming along

Coming along, one thing I'm not sure if I'm going to add muscles, skin etc. How can I paint the muscles etc, and actually connect them. Like I know with ZSketch you can draw across surfaces (maybe I should started with ZSpheres?), but not sure if i'll be able to do this with a model...

skull02.jpg

...anyways I think the proportions are much better and it's not looking to bad, have to go more detailed and fix up the teeth perhaps.

Default Proto-Anklyosaur

Here's a dinosaur i've been tinkering with. I'm trying to figure out what to do with the backplates (wonder if there's a good way to flatten everything and bring it back to a smooth back and go from there, or just try and sculpt my way out heh).

protoankylosaur.jpg

For just getting into Zbrush you seem to have a good grasp on how to use it.

If you want to flatten and remove all the detailing you already did, I would go from your lowest subdivision and work your way up using the smooth brush. Make sure to turn down your intensity on lower levels since they will be affected more (since they have less geometry). Depending on how low your first subdivision level is, you may not have to smooth that one at all, just keep going up levels untill you see the bumps and smooth them out, and repeat.

Another way that may be faster is to go to the lowest sub-D level that does NOT show your bumps and details, delete the higher sub-D levels and then re-subdivide back up.
    Life Is The Temporary Break Away From Nothingness.

Thanks! I've had ZBrush for awhile and have only used it sporadically, but it's only in the last month or so that I've felt like I'm getting it. (Discovered tutorials etc, and ZSphere's II are a great starter)

I'll give your advice a try, that seems like a good idea. I was thinking after I should've done the armor separately maybe.

Your right about separating the armor, it is always a good idea to separate things. Sometimes people split things that are normally a whole, for example the arms or head. They will work on things that need more detail or just whatever feels right. You can always append them later and retopo. That is one of the great things about zbrush, you can work in any order you like, and can go back and change things at any time. Happy Zbrushing.

Thumbs up

Well I went a smoothed everything out at the lowest, and then again at the highest (interesting, never realized that the detail remained at the higher levels). Built up a much better looking armour plate - still part of the main mesh. I masked out roughly circular shapes, used the spherize brush, then masked out a smaller section again and pulled that out a bit. I had done spikes but they looked silly.

protoank02.jpg

edit: Next up I think I'm going to see if I can get my zsphere skeleton back and pose this thing.

New Member Follow User Gallery

I like this as it is as a stone sculpture for a fantasy scene. I might make the scales on the the "lips" a little smaller, but as a basic ankylosaur analog, it's coming together nicely!

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin Preik
    Well I went a smoothed everything out at the lowest, and then again at the highest (interesting, never realized that the detail remained at the higher levels)
    Actually every level of sub-D holds its own layer of information. It is best to work your way up from lowest to highest. Something that demonstrates this idea would be if you smooth out some of your lower levels, then go to your highest level. You will see the main forms are gone but the fine details (stored on this highest level) have been retained.

Anyway, glad to see your exploring and having fun.

Default Grays

grays.jpg

Needs some limb/digit work

I like the head !!! the design is great

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast