ZBrushCentral

Tutorial: Engraving

Hi :slight_smile:

There are several ways to apply an engraving-like effect to the canvas. This method will allow you to create the engraving at any size and not be limited by the 256x256 brush size.

First, we need the gray scale image that will be used for the engraving process. The gray scale image can be created within ZBrush, or be imported into ZBrush. The background of the image should be black while the content that would need to be engraved should be white. Below is the alpha (gray scale image) that I used in this example…

[img]http://www.pixolator.com/images01/EngravingMask.jpe[/img]

EngravingZ StepZ:

1. BACKGROUND: Select the Plane3D tool in the TOOl menu. Click in the center of the canvas and drag to fill the canvas with the currently selected color.
  2. ENGRAVING: Import the alpha image (shown above) by using the IMPORT function in the ALPHA menu. Select the SimpleBrush tool in the TOOL menu. By default, the SimpleBrush is using the Dots stroke type. In this case, we want to be able to draw the engraved alpha into the canvas while being able to resize it to the desired dimensions. In order to achieve that, the Drag Rectangle stroke type should be selected in the STROKE menu. Normally engravings are not very deep, so we want to reduce the depth that will be applied by the SimpleBrush. To do so, we set the DEPTH value in the DRAW menu to .01 then select the color you wish to engrave (gold-orange) in the COLOR menu. Now, click in the center of the canvas and drag until you get the desired size.
  3. SMOOTHING: Depending on the type of alpha that you are using, you may want to apply smoothing to the engraving. In order to do so, select the BlurBrush from the TOOL menu and turn off MRGB and activate ZSUB (or ZADD) in the DRAW menu. Now draw over the engraved area in order to smooth the depth values.
  4. GLOW: You may apply some glow (if needed) to the image by selecting the GlowBrush from the TOOL menu and draw over the engraved area in order to apply a glow effect.

Note: In this example I have also added a local light in order to enhance the final image. If you need an explanation on local light usage, I’ll be happy to do so.

I hope you’ll find this helpful.
-Pixelator

Here is an image using this technique.

Thanks Pixolator.
-kaz

Welcome to ZBrushCentral kaz :slight_smile:
Your original image was the reason for writing this mini-tutorial. Thanks for posting the final version :slight_smile:

Yo Ho Pixolator

you mention changing the stroke to “Draw Rectangle” which I have learned to use for alot of things. Kurisu enlightened me about the “Line” stroke but there are plenty more choices in there, some of which seem a little obscure to thier properties. Any chance of a quick tour of the Stroke Pallette?

Also another mystery area I have found is in the Picker Pallette, which I think I have figured out but it might be another topic worth being enlightened by the “Master” :slight_smile:

Yeah, and the tablet pallette doesn’t have any infomation about it, (or even popups). Could you pass on any infomation about that as well??
Upham