New Member Follow User Gallery

Default Long time Lurker, First time Poster

Hello all!

This is my first post here on the forums and i hope i dont mess it up
    As my title stated I've been lurking these forums for some time now and I must say there is a lot of talented people here!

Anyway here is my fist post! I title this model Darth Jayder! Its cheesy but its a self portrait as Darth Vader sans mask/helmet. Everyone calls me Jay (real name is Jason) and mix in the Vader which thus becomes Jayder .

Jayder_Collage_2.jpg

I built the model using Softimage XSI and rendered with Mental ray. I used Zbrush to sculpt the damage and detail on the head and for the leather suit for the torso. XSI SSS skin shader was used for the head, and im not 100% stoked on how it turned out.
    This model was meant to be an exercise for myself to try out polypainting and further my modeling skills. Im still relatively new to 3D (only been doing it for 2 years) as my background is in 2D. The main objective was to create a bust that id like to see perched on my desk next to my machine amongst my other figures and helmets.

Sculpture_Texture_turnaround.jpg

Here is a what the head sculpt and painting looks like. The painting took about 11 hrs total spread over 2 days ( I painted it using the Scott Spencer's method) and the sculpt itself took about a week and a half (I worked on it when i could). I didnt use the high poly mesh on the model but rather my second subdivision with a generated a normal map from Zbrush.
    The over all model was completed over a few months when i had spare time to devote it.

Jayder_Front_Final_1024.jpg

Here is a front shot im keen on (As you can see I brought the eyebrows back cause everyone loves some sweet caterpillar action).

Jayder_Front_Sans_Collar.jpg

And this is a early WIP showing the full head.

Over all Im pleased with the final outcome, there are some issues i have with certain elements (eyes) and what not but i will address those in my next model for im putting this one away and moving onto my next project.
    Thanks for checking out my first post and please feel free to leave some constructive crits or any helpful tips i can use in the future.

Thanks,

Jayder

New Member Follow User Gallery

Thanks caffeineandpixels! I was going for a more realistic look for the burnt skin. It is Freddy Krueger like I used some graphic images from burn victims for reference for the healing skin that was burnt.
    www.jasonmcnamar.com