Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Cool Game modeling

Alrighty. I know I'm using ZBrush for what it wasn't intended for but .. what-the-heck! Testing the limits and exploring new horizons, and all that.

I'm getting back into an old thread I started way back when, about game modeling in ZBrush. ZBrush has all the potential to be able to make low-poly game models very easily, but needs a few more tools and adjustments to make the work flow easier.

Here's where I'm at.

STEP ONE: I create a low density 3D cube. The reasons I start with this and not the primatives Pixolator showed me is because the Native 3d cube and sphere have a "seam" on them that I can "unwrap" the texture off the head into a bitmap. When I create an object I always make sure this seam is at the back or facing away from me, and also that the cubes (or spheres) "polls" are facing north and south. This means the face will be unwraped correctly
    With DOTS selected and Edit-Move on, I fiddle around with the points for an hour or so until I get the shape I want for my head.

STEP TWO: I save my low-res model as a Ztool and also export it as a .OBJ file. Then I want to paint on it so I have to increase the mesh density. The finer the mesh density, the more detail I can put onto my models skin. Then I'll want to export the texture off the high-res model and onto the low res model in another program.

So I hit DIVIDE in the deformations sub-pallette ... and here's where things go funny. You will notice that the model is missing the vertical grid-lines on two segments of the model. and in some places there is no grid! (circled part)

Is there anyone gain enough to explain this?

STEP THREE: So I trundle on regardless and only paint the right half of the head. I save the model as a Ztool.

STEP FOUR: Then I create a large texture in the texture pallette, and then in the TOOLS>TEXTURE subpallette I click the "COL>TEX" button to unwrap the model into the texture pallette. I then export the bitmap and create a mirror image of the half I created in photoshop.

Then its a matter of wrapping the bitmap around the low-res model I saved as an obj earlier. I do this in Studio Max.

I've made a Zmovie of a similar method but using a standard zbrush-sphere. Its about 5-meg. Maybe there's room on Pixolatos server for it?

I'd be interested in any help Pixolator - espesially step two!

Upham.
    Upham's ZLand! ZBrush For Newbies!
    http://zbrush.cjb.net/

Cool! Who says that ZBrush wasn't designed for game modeling? You just model whatever the heck you want to with it.

Hi upham,

The problem that you have encountered with the missing edge subdivide polygons has been correct for version 1.23

In version 1.23 there are several ZScript-recorded head modeling sessions. These ZScripts are showing (in actual size) all the steps (including all brush strokes) that were used in creating these models. (below are the icons for 3 of the models)

These scripts run time is ranging from 10 to 30 minutes and in these scripts you’ll be able to see not only the modeling stage, but also the texturing stage, which I think you’ll find interesting

There is another feature (which is planned to be implemented sometime after the release of version 1.23) that will allow you to model the head using high polygon-count ZTL object (such as Sphere3D) with the added capability to reduce the polygon count when exporting in OBJ or DXF format.

-Pixolator

Lordy, lordy, Pixolator. Talk about dangling a water-bottle in front of a guy dying of thirst!
    After I've made and exported my ZBrush model & bitmap I've found the best program to use is MILKSHAPE 3D
    It loads .obj files easily - if the polycount is down. A good & cheap program ($20), but has a few tricks to master before you can use it easily.

I don't know if you went to that recent game conferance, but it would of made you awear of the hugh market for game creation packages. I don't think it would hurt to incorperate a few ideas to capture this market. What I would really like to see in ZBrush is a Poly-Extrude option for base-model creation .... Example ....

VERY VERY BASIC MODEL!! (created in studio max)
    This would allow ZBrush users to create more complex objects as a base and then convert them to high-res tools, to paint and export or to use in their illustrations. I'm just shooting ideas off the top of my head, but I beleive there is a market for this.

Upham.

PS. The current polycount optimiser (under deformation?) can really screw up the edges of objects. I hope the new DXF-export option has a "save edge" option

PPS. It sounds like the new ZBrush version has really gone out of its way to teach people the use of ZBrush with these scripts. Well done! Will there be any more PDF documentation planned? Will ZMovies still be around? (could you fix the text-input box in the zmovies pannel?!)
    Upham's ZLand! ZBrush For Newbies!
    http://zbrush.cjb.net/

ive known about zbrush for gaming a long time now. alot of people aren't aware of its full capabilities. if your head model is unwrapped, you can also use zbrush in many other ways youve not mentioned to make low poly game models.

one thing ive found is using normal maps as detail maps for your texture. simply sculpt your low poly model asa high res version. you can then create a displacment map or normal map (must desaturate it) and make it a multiplly channel in photoshop over your color map, adding shading details. this saves alot of time in hand painting your details. you can also use the normal map in most game engines nowadays.

another technique would be to export your high res mesh into something like maya, texture and light it, and bake your texture, capturing the details, then applying the baked texture to your normal low poly model. this gives you more control over the lighting then using normal maps desaturated.

about the software- www.wings3d.com is the best poly modeller out there and its FREE

also, you can poly extrude of sorts in zbrush, just use the edgeloop command and move youor verts, not the easiest, but pretty darn easier, and i like edge loops better anyways. get meats dvd to really help with low poly modelling in z