Senior Member Follow User Gallery

WIP.

BEACHED DEATH

DOLPHINOIL 22.jpg

DOLPHINOIL 21.jpg

That's effectively creepy! The materials used in Beached Death are very effective. Good job!
    It is sadly foretelling of an addiction that kills. Every time Mankind tries to use and control nature, it always has a deadly price.

Yes, I completely agree with antisymmetry, great work

Instead of these, do some orcs, some dinosaurs, a batman etc...
    Then you'll become a digital artist using 'new technology'.
    Or you can stay as you are, a more traditional artist 'from your imagination'
    Great work spiritdreamer, once more.

Don't do orcs, dinosaurs, or a batman. Blech. Enough of that. Stay as you are. But this new line of work IS a breakthrough, do continue in that vein.

Feeling is enough, emotion will never be enough, as huge as it can be. Does this make sense? sorry for my english

oh come one michalis, it's not true that if you don't do orcs, batmans etc that you don't get recognition here. at least I got the feeling that is the complaining subtext here quite often.
    may I point out only one example from the top row gallery:
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=076947

this is both very imaginative artistic work and technically really well done.
    it simply needs both. imagination is great , I am all for it, but the best imagination can fall flat if it's technically not translated well. its like playing a beautiful melody with a completely off-tune instrument. the wonderful melody then just drowns in wrong tunes.

Imagine your own sculptures you did recently. if you for example wouldn't know how to light them properly with modo, then the soul of your work, that splendid feeling of age old sculptures you create,would just not come across at all. you use your skill set very well and even improve it further and further with every render.

I do however see that there is a definitely progress in Spiritdreamers work recently. especially that it's more focused and less overloaded. That's really good to see.

"it's not true that if you don't do orcs, batmans etc that you don't get recognition here. at least I got the feeling that is the complaining subtext here quite often."
    its not about recognition, its about communication. Well I have my own thread running, lets not spoil spiritdreamers's one.
    I also like spiritdreamer's recent posts. And this 2/5 makes me nervous

Woaw, you got to be kidding, right?
    Not to be rude but that was the stupidest comment i have read in a long time...

What makes Spirit Dreamers work so interesting and good is he's originality and free imagination, going outside those boring orc and batman patterns that almost disappears in the constant flow of other orcs and batmans.

To wake interests with such a cliché model such as an orc you got to be really sticking out by making an almost perfect model (because mediocre ones are posted every minute), Spiritdreamer is sticking out with his artistic and creative mind.

THANK YOU GUYS

WIP.

EARTHMAN

EARTH MAN 8.jpg

EARTHMAN ALPHA 1.jpg

EARTH MAN 3.jpg

EARTH MAN 4.jpg

EARTH MAN 5.jpg

EARTH MAN 6.jpg

EARTH MAN 7.jpg

"For every artist that has something (new and worthwhile) to say but lacks the technical skills to communicate it perfectly there are a thousand artists with all the technique in the world and nothing new to say."

***12288;Technique can be acquired through study and work, but being an expressive artist requires something to be brought to the surface that has some relevance. Sure there is a lot of great technique and creativity from drawings of Batman and orcs, but does it change anything after all the technique and skill in the world brought it to fruition? Does it make you think about the world around you?

***12288;Digital art gives artist's unlimited paint, clay, and a tools to push the boundaries of expression, and yet this site is full of orcs and zombies.It is time artists began thinking outside the box and stop critiquing others with comments like "that man who paints those dreadful pictures". Technique can get in the way of representation. Therefore, artists should challenge the rules and create art "without using the usual codes, without respecting the representational truth of form, but using a breath of irrationality instead, to make representation stronger and more direct; so that form could pass directly from the eye to the stomach without going through the brain".

Quote Originally Posted by antisymmetry
    "For every artist that has something (new and worthwhile) to say but lacks the technical skills to communicate it perfectly there are a thousand artists with all the technique in the world and nothing new to say."
    well, yes, I totally agree with you BUT there are also countless pseudo expressive artists who spam the world with poor wannabe art while possessing barely any skills at all..

don't get me wrong, I am actually not a big fan of a technical show off or hyper realistic high tech art with nothing to say or show than technically perfect detail execution. Most of my favorite paintings are rather rough and direct, expressive, none realistic and far away of detail obsession. I like Art Brut, I love
    Jean-Michel Basquiat, I prefer Picassos wild crude late period over his early classical and so on.
    That said, especially if you want to express something by roughly, spontaniously slapping color on a canvas you will without a doubt get a better translation of your thoughts and emotions onto that canvas if you are well trained and have your techincal act together. When you have worked and practised so much that your hand really has become a atural extension of your guts, so to speak. that is what skills and practise are all about. you need it' so your instabilities don't get into the way of your imagination. it's that simple. a broad quick brush stroke can have incredbile energy and expression , but it can also be just a weak shaky smear.

there are aesthetic rules which make images work, whether you like it or not . you either feel them naturally or you have to train your brain to understand them. you can also break them in order to achieve a different , fresh or deliberately disturbing expression, BUT to do that efficiently you also have to know them well before.

so, yes many people can acquire technical skills if they work hard enough and there is no doubt that all those digital tools have brought us quite a few technically brilliant yet hollow craftsmen which are not necessarily great artists.
    technique alone is not enough, but dilettantism is certainly not the holy grail as well.

Superman...Batman and ALL OF THE OTHER PLAYED OUT SUPER HEROES had their place and time,...Now is the time and place for a NEW Super Hero...EARTHMAN...His enimies are OILMAN, COALMAN,LUMBERMAN..The Destroyers of the EARTH..which are led by the ultimite bad guy...MAMMONMAN..who creates the false need, fear, hate, ignorance,and poverty which in turn creates the wars.
    So now this forum has a New SUPER HERO...EARTHMAN... and a set of his enimies to contemplate,immulate,copy if so desired,and argue about..

It might be really refreshing to see a NEW SUPER HERO character develope in this forum..one that is relative to current times and places.

You all have my permission to run with my original concept.

I'm sure that with all of the great talent in this forum, you should be able to take these characters of my creation much further than I am able to...
    I just think of them, and try to express them the best that I can..

CHEERS

It's been done, he was called "Captain Planet" and he sucked... no more an original idea than painting a nude, zbrushing Batman, or putting photoshop filters on some old Renaissance work... just a personalized interpretation of preexisting concepts.

There is nothing new anymore, everything is a take on something done before, all one can do is try to do his best at what he likes to do, and do it "originally".

So to all the "Batman wannabes" just keep making what you like, and keep doing it well. To all the "rainbow dolphin on a sphere with a unicorn and skull scribblers", keep at it as well, but don't be surprised if the lack of technique or execution calls the attention of the viewing public.

Earthman has some interesting composites. In particular, the 3rd one is very interesting. The choice of colors and contrast gives it a punch. I like it.