Senior Member Follow User Gallery

I just recently sold my two Corey Haim paintings (fine-art paintings by Corey Haim) which looked every bit like Jackson Pollock's work, for $3,800 on eBay. (I had Corey paint them for me back in 2003.)

My point here is that Spirit's work in this thread is MUCH better than Corey's. Much better. It is really expressive... it is ART. 'Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by EricShawn
    I just recently sold my two Corey Haim paintings (fine-art paintings by Corey Haim) which looked every bit like Jackson Pollock's work, for $3,800 on eBay. (I had Corey paint them for me back in 2003.)

My point here is that Spirit's work in this thread is MUCH better than Corey's. Much better. It is really expressive... it is ART. 'Nuff said.
    LOL, this is such an insult to Corey Haim..Are you seriously comparing people's painting to these half baked 3d models with buildin matcaps floating in front of my monitor?

stop abusing the word "art".. it is your right to praise the artist if you like the works in this thread , but comparing it to other established artists' works and claim it's MUCH better is just ridiculous.
    Last edited by Piggy; 05-28-10 at 12:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EricShawn

you are kidding, aren't you? Haim wasn't even really a painter, but an actor and the paintings he did for a hobby aren't even remotely similar to Pollock.

and even if Haim's paintings where similar, what's the point? how many years are between Haim and Pollock? 50 ? Haim would at best be simply an epigone of Pollock.

jeeez...

Hey SpiritDreamer, in all honesty, your latest is looking a bit better... (Though I could have sworn it was a head sculpt this morning) The elements are beginning to harmonize a little. Instead of having a copy-pasted intersecting disjunction to them as before.

It is overly dark and your colors are beginning to clip, making it harder to make out... not in a foreboding or expressive way to which the subject matter quite obviously alludes. Yes yes, black oil doom and gloom, it's understood, making 70% of the pixels solid black doesn't enforce the message, the viewer is already being hit over the head with the message. The lack of any clarity, in fact, hinders any painting and sculpting you have done.

Having the oil integrated with elements of the skeleton helps it mesh a lot, as opposed to other pieces where it just pops out, intersecting. Neither floating above the background nor integrated with it. I would beseech that more be done in this direction.

I would recommend more work in the atmosphere to horizon. Even in the most turbulent storms, and polluted skies, the earth and heavens meet with more of a gentle gradation, this being due to the environmental haze created by denser air. Overall though, credit where credit is due, this is a step forward from the last iteration.

In other news, a Tori Amos or Christina Agulera snot rag could sell for $3500, celebrity infatuation of the unwashed masses has very little to do with art, only with what the market will bare.

Pollock, blech.

What makes oil so deadly is how it permeates over everything, so adding so much dark color in the piece makes sense. Oil like death is a very prominent thing. There is no alluding to it. It is what it is.

Also, the subject matter has been a dodgy thing until the recent oil disaster. Now, we are being hit over the head with it quite literally which makes the subject matter in these pieces even more potent.

So far, there is only a few artists on this site that create expressive works of art. SpiritDreamer is one of them. Painters like Pollock and Bacon used to overlay and manipulate their paintings with all kinds of media. I see strong similarities here except the tools are Zbrush and Photoshop. SpiritDreamer is manipulating, experimenting, and using the imagination like any good artist would do.
    Last edited by antisymmetry; 05-28-10 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by antisymmetry
    What makes oil so deadly is how it permeates over everything, so adding so much dark color in the piece makes sense. Oil like death is a very prominent thing. There is no eluding to it. It is what it is.
    The subject matter is not eluded, yet alluded to, and concluded by all, perhaps in an elusively delusional convoluted manner by the elusive allusions of the diluted illusionist that ostentatiously illustrated and misconstrued them.
    Last edited by 0bz; 05-28-10 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 0bz
    The subject matter is not eluded, yet alluded to, and concluded by all, perhaps in an elusively delusional convoluted manner by the elusive allusions of the diluted illusionist that ostentatiously illustrated and misconstrued them.
    That was very misconstrued.

Did I mention that I just got an unsolicited personal CG TALK PORTFOLIO network invatation request from Chris Bostjanick ..Senior Modeler..LUCASFILM ANIMATION..Just thought I would mention it.

Maybe you people who find my work so bad, and seem to get so much great plearure in trashing my ZBRUSH CENTRAL Sketchbook in this public forum can talk to him about why he thinks my work is good enough to be in his CG TALK PORTFOLIO NETWORK..I'm sure that he would be more than happy to enlighten you..

Here is a link right below this to his CG TALK PORTFOLIO
    Drop him a line or two in his guest book about how bad you think my work is..if you have the courage to that is..

http://cbostjan.cgsociety.org/gallery/

My point, which has since been made and re-made ad infinitum by Spirit's detractors in this thread, is that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Now why don't we all go watch the Twilight Zone instead of picking on this guy. I detest bullies.

ARTISTIC RACISM would be a better way of describing what is and has been happening in my sketchbook right from the start of it, and it's always by the same small group of small minded people,..who in their own way if given the chance will make this forum a joke rather than a serious learning tool.

*edited to keep this thread cleaner
    Last edited by Piggy; 05-29-10 at 01:22 AM.