Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Hey SD! Maybe slightly off topic, but I wanted to get your take on something
    Would you say that the movement of muscles and bones is related between the wings and arms on a dragon such as yours? I've been trying to figure out a dragon's anatomy in that regard, whether the wings and arms (more specifically the shoulders and collar bone) share bones/muscle connections, or if essentially there are four independent shoulders/collar bones (two for the wings, and two for the arms). That, or if there were a good anatomical reason for one or the other... Please forgive me for a definitely overblown and off topic query! ~ T

Talster..Hey that's a great question actually..I kind of go along with the notion of a seperate shoulder blade attached further back on the dragons back, away from the shoulder blade that controls the front arm movement.
    Two very close, but different funtions envolved.
    Each would need it's own special ratio of muscle to bone attachment in order to funtion properly...Seems like that would be more possible with a little more room around the shoulder blade to work with.
    Here is a link that may be useful to you, if you haven't already found it.

http://www.elfwood.com/farp/dragons/

I really liked that dragon in Dragon Heart...One of my favorites.

Also a couple of thoughts that entered my mind while thinking about your question..were..How about a modified Dragonfly type of attachment..not positive, but I think that insects have an exterior skeleton arangement...might be an interesting combo.
    Also there are the small gliding lizards that glide through the air in the forest from tree tops.. They have a wing type of ribbed skin that when opened and extended act like a wing giving the ability to glide through the air..not really flight, but a start to it's evolution.
    Those are just a couple of passing thoughts that might be incorporated into a dragon that passed through my mind while writing this.
    Don't get so caught up in the interior anatomy though that you end up forgetting that dragons are exterior symbols of MAGIC, LIFE, and THE POWER OF NATURE

Hope i've been of some help..even if only a little...every little bit helps..
    CHEERS

I've always though that this guy had an interesting take on the anatomic structure of dragons, one of endless possibilities

Dragon Anatomy

Another

This one is a really cool rendition

Member Follow User Gallery

Seriously???
    You've just knocked someones ZBRUSH work that would've more than likely benefited from someones critque or help just because you've put some random black splodges on an image you've already posted up several times already.
    I mean, c'mon... Wouldn't it be better to put something like this up on your cgsociety link or somethin'? I think that's rather arrogant to use up some of that precious bottom row space with a tiny addition like that, don't you agree?

Pablo..The only person I knocked out of a slot, was myself..I was the last one in the bottom slot...The rest is just your opinion, not mine.

Member Follow User Gallery

Thats cool, my apologies for thinking you'd perhaps removed someone elses Zbrush relevant image & thread.
    My original point/opinion/question still stands though. I'm far from on the the 'flame SD' bandwagon at all, i honestly couldn't care less about your actual output, i just reckon you're not going to endear yourself to anyone around here putting up the same image again and again and again, with the tiniest of changes that are way outside of anything to do with Zbrush/sculpting or even 3D for that matter.
    I wonder, what is it you are hoping for in posting up these many tiny changes to the forum? It's not as though you are asking anyone for advice or critique, that always seems to end badly in posturing and art school naming.

Actually, on second thought, I'm probably making a bad mistake in getting embroiled in this thread, so this will be my final post here. Do whatever you like mate, i'm not gonna let it bother me. Fill yer boots

Tasp

Apprentice / Tyro

Andrew Guagliardo
    Bartender
    Brooklyn, USA

Pablo...Wise choise.. ..By the way , all of those pieces about the oil disaster are 99 percent ZBRUSH

You use it your way, and let me use it my way....Since when it it wrong to be different in an approach to art.
    Seems like it should be wrong in this forum to give so many negative opinions on some one elses works, just because they are different than the norm that's happening at the moment.
    Would be a shame, if everybody looked the same, and it would be a shame if everybody had works that looked the same also....Varity is the spice of life,..at least that is my view on the subject.

Below is another view that I thought worth posting in my skechbook..It's one that I agree with, and was posted at the same time as yours in my other thread.

Every one has an opinion...and usually all differ in one way or another.
    That's why if you don't like someones work and have nothing positive to say about it, then you should post nothing, and say nothing..Just like the forum policy states so clearly.
    Ignor that policy, and only negative things will result...ALWAYS.

Right below is the post to my work that I was just reffering to.

I'm making a few assumptions but I'm going to run with them for now-
    I really like the addition of the windmill in the oilman vs earthman piece. I think it really changes the commentary of the piece, especially how it is being wielded from an inferior position almost as a weapon of last resort. It also give the piece a little bit of hope, before it left me with nothing but a deep sense of foreboding and agreement that this was the situation we were in. Personally I think this sort of personifies humanity's struggle with doing the right thing, often we do the easy thing until there is no other choice but to do the right (and hard) thing in order to survive. Perhaps if earthman had used this windmill lance earlier he wouldn't be in such a predicament.

Anyway keep up the good works Glenn! Watching you work with a specific current event topic in mind is extremely educational and inspiring.

Last edited by SpiritDreamer; 06-08-10 at 09:16 AM.

That's a windmill?

Obz...Yes...I even used refference. ..Google wind power, or Wind Turbine and you will see lots of different varities on the market..
    I just put mine ontop of a telephone pole is all....Or maybe it's a cross..The mystery.LOL. ...Milling ENERGY..
    By the way, thanks for that other set of links you posted on Dragon Anatomy on the previous page in here..I enjoyed seeing those works in those links.
    CHEERS
    Last edited by SpiritDreamer; 06-08-10 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo_6
    Thats cool, my apologies for thinking you'd perhaps removed someone elses Zbrush relevant image & thread.
    My original point/opinion/question still stands though. I'm far from on the the 'flame SD' bandwagon at all, i honestly couldn't care less about your actual output, i just reckon you're not going to endear yourself to anyone around here putting up the same image again and again and again, with the tiniest of changes that are way outside of anything to do with Zbrush/sculpting or even 3D for that matter.
    I wonder, what is it you are hoping for in posting up these many tiny changes to the forum? It's not as though you are asking anyone for advice or critique, that always seems to end badly in posturing and art school naming.

Actually, on second thought, I'm probably making a bad mistake in getting embroiled in this thread, so this will be my final post here. Do whatever you like mate, i'm not gonna let it bother me. Fill yer boots
    So why would you bother posting anything at all?

If the art is not your cup of tea and you can not be professional about your reply, you should not reply. It is that simple folks!!

I read windmill after about 10 min, which idk if that's what you're going for. I'm all for dream art as it is, it's not surrealist if I can't read the objects at they are. I understand the idea your portraying and the poles do refine composition, yet they don't really read as windmills.

Though I think the thought is finally starting to hone in on something interesting. I just wish the execution of certain items would be refined. I mean it's one thing declaring it different and unique, but when I can't read a key piece as what it is, then idk how different we are pushing.

As a student I know my work probably means little. Yet I have 3.5 years under my belt of studying and training under some great NYC artists. I've also been doing cg in general for almost 8 years now. 2 of them using zbrush.

That said Im giving you a fresh eye. The opinion of the piece that matters isn't always your own as on of the key aspects of doing pieces such as this is for them to be seen by others.

Now back on point: your painting is super. But I think you over complicate your 3d images. You have a grand idea, but I think you are over executing it so that you make up for lack of 3d knowlege.

Putting in oil here or a splash there to cover up stuff Isnt what should be done. I've dreamt of dolphins, and in my dreams they look like dolphins. Even if they had a lions head and ***** for eyes, well then all aspect would look as such. It's the real meeting the unreal, but the real component is what sells surrealistic art. Sure Dali can paint a rock face look like an arm, or a tiger stretching into nothing, but you bet that that tiger will look as real as it can be, and that rock face shadowed as if it were real.

Now I know your not going for that exactly, yet the principle remains, the audience must read some belivability, must see some "real" before it can be made "surreal".

I'm pulling for you, I am. I think you are one of the few who use the software as a true fine art medium. And though I did just say all I said I wish there were five more just like you, with the willingness to experiment.
    That's all.
    Lead Character Artist
    Firaxis Games
    -artstation

Framed World...Thank You for the feedback and positive contructive crit...Always welcomed.
    I will see what I can do in the way of refinements at the last stages of developement...Right now, they are works in progress, and in the process of capturing the thought rather than the detail.
    I had a thought of a dolphin taking it's last breath while laying at the oil soaked waters edge...
    I saw a program on the history of whaling the other day...Showed a harpooned whale taking it's last breath..Blood shot high in the air like a water hose/fountain from it's blow hole/breathing vent on the top of it's head/skull, and also ran down and over it's side from it's blow hole/breathing vent.
    So I just used oil instead of blood for my dolphin and depicted the same last breath senerio...Choking on oil, instead of blood.
    It's funny how some people can see everything in my pieces really clear as they are now, and some people can't...Reminds me of when two people look at a cloud or a stain on the ceiling or wall, and both see what they want to see, and do see what the other does not.
    Vision, mystery and imagination at work, to produce a thought.

Right below is a link to a wind turbine very muh like mine....and also a link to beached dolphins.

http://www.google.com/images?q=beach...e&ved=0CA0Q_AU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n45fkxRHvHs
    Last edited by SpiritDreamer; 06-09-10 at 03:59 AM.