Senior Member Follow User Gallery

FEB. 24, 2011

Santis..Thank You

DRAGON LION FIGHT 3.jpg

DRAGON LION FIGHT 2.jpg

I don't know, SpiritDreamer, if I'm being honest, I'm just not seeing what these other people are seeing. I should probably just say nothing, but, In all honesty, I look at your stuff all the time, and I still haven't figured out what you are attempting to do here. I'm not sure if you're just playing around with your models for the fun of it, or if these are supposed to be finished concepts. Either way, it seems to me you could take these concepts so much further than you do.
    To me, most of these images look like you are just randomly cutting and pasting previous models with new models over background paintings to make some kind of collage or something. The result doesn't look finished, or cohesive to me.
    There are several reasons for this.
    First off, I feel you could take more time and refine the details a little bit more on the models than you have.
    Also, in these composites, the lighting isn't always matched all that well. Some models have textures on them, some models don't. The characters barely seem to be actually interacting with each other, as their poses seem fixed like wooden sculptures. In some cases, it looks like you stretched, or distorted the models to make them fit better.
    The compositions seem to range from too busy to too empty.
    Some of it reminds me of those glow-in-the dark paintings from the 70's.
    Take for example that last one with the snow leopard dragon fighting the lion.
    The limbs seem so stiff. The back legs on the snow leopard dragon look like he is sitting down, rather than, flying, or leaping at the lion. The dragon dosen't even seem to be looking at the lion. It reminds me of when a child has two toys that he is pretending to make fight with each other. Since they aren't really alive, (except in Toy Story, of course) they don't really appear to be actually interacting. I think you could breathe so much more life into these figures if you put more time into the posing. I don't understand why you don't pose these characters to interact more believably with ZBrush's transpose tools. I'm glad that other people are appreciating your work at this point, but, I feel it's only half done. If you're satisfied with just making these cut and paste composites over and over again, that's fine, but, I'd like to see you try and reach the next level. Just my two cents. You can take it, or leave it.
    Last edited by Derek Frenzo; 02-24-11 at 01:41 PM.

Derek Frenzo...Thank You for your 2cents of worth...

It was meant to be constructive. Hopefully, it was taken that way.
    Last edited by Derek Frenzo; 02-24-11 at 01:51 PM.

Of course it was constructive, and is taken by me as such.

No finished works in this sketchbook,.. or top row ambitions..just fun in the playing,experimenting, exploring, and learning...

FEB. 25, 2011

THE LION HUNT 2.jpg

THE LION HUNT 1.jpg

Thumbs up

i like the last pic,inspiration

FEB. 25, 2011

Fshayong/ liang..Thank You my friend

DRAGON LION FIGHT 14.jpg

DRAGON LION FIGHT 13.jpg

If I may say so myself, I quite agree with everything said by Derek. Not that that really helps, but I can also say that it seems you’ve taken a bit of his criticism and applied it to your work, which I commend you for. Looks like you’ve tweaked the dragon and lion to a bit more natural (and somewhat more compelling) of a pose. Personally, I would love to see some more sculptural texturing to compliment the polypaint texturing.

Feb. 26, 2011

Skadalilama..Playing like a child with toys is something that I value, and is a most valuble asset, in my way of thinking anyway.
    I don't think that there are any words or opinions that will ever be able to devalue my feelings about that aspect of my creating..try as hard as they may to vanish it, the child in me will stay, and continue to play...Thank You..

I keep coming back to this thread. I love all the controversy. I love all the comments from people who can't think outside the box. This forum is full of robots. Bunch of t pose game model crap. 95% of these threads look exactly the same. When someone comes along and upsets the apple cart... whooooooa boy. Most of the advice people are giving to SD would steer him in the direction everyone else is going. Create a perfectly rendered low poly symmetrical character in a nice tidy environment with perfect perspective blah blah blah. Seriously even if I'm not in love with what this guy is doing... at least he's creating something different and he's sticking to his guns. He's more of a real 'fine artist' than most people in here. 5 stars just for being eccentric.
    Ehren

DRAGON LION RUMBLE 4.jpg

DRAGON LION RUMBLE 3.jpg
    Last edited by SpiritDreamer; 02-26-11 at 06:27 AM.

Not sure why much of your last reply was spoken in the third person, SpiritDreamer.
    It reminded me of that Jimmy character from an old Seinfeld episode.
    As was already said, you can take any advice you get here, or you can just leave it.
    It's obvious that you're going to continue to do it your way regardless of any criticism you get, constructive, or otherwise. And, that's completely fine. If it makes you happy - stick with it.
    Personally, I always grew as an artist when I received constructive criticism.
    In fact, the teacher who taught me the most, a guy who you might even know, was this guy that used to tear down my work like no one else. He was absolutely brutal! He minced no words. He let me have it with both barrels.
    It didn't bother me too much, because I knew he saw potential in me, and was trying to help me become a better artist. Which I did.
    Now, I'm not going to waste your time with another critique of your work, but, since you do appreciate a little controversy, I thought I would make a counterpoint on a couple comments you just made.
    First, it's very easy to say that anyone who doesn't get my work "can't think out of the box," or, "they just don't get me", rather than accept any criticism.
    Also, many people love to say that they are a fine artist, and that somehow makes them superior to those who draw comics, make video game art, or do graphic design for advertisements. Really, anybody can say they're a "fine artist." At my job, I see people who say they are fine artists all the time. Some are quite good. Most, however, I would say their work is at a junior high school level. No technique. Poor composition. Poor use of color. Muddy paint. Just plain awful. Not everyone can be a Michelangelo, or a Da Vinci. That's why their work stands out. Not to say that other people can't enjoy making art even if they are the only ones who appreciate it.
    By the same token, I don't think work that is appreciated by a broader audience is somehow diminished just because of that fact.
    "Whoever controls the media, the images, controls the culture." - Allen Ginsberg

Webhead..I take what advise and suggestions I think will hep me to get the results I desire,and desregard the rest,.. just as you probably do...So not even sure what controversy your talking about.
    If expessing thoughts is a controversy, then I guess i'm guilty as charged, but I never thought of it as wrong, or a crime.
    What I posted was what I thought to be relevent to what I was told about my work by the last two people posting and agreeing with each other...I just agreed with what I posted more.
    I am just trying to do what is in your Ralph Waldo Emerson saying at the bottom of your post..Create your own path and don't be a follower.
    About being a fine artist...not my words.
    Hope you don't find what I have said offensive..not intended to be so..
    People make too much out of nothing, I guess that they have nothing better to do. I just wish that they would do it on someone elses thread, and not on mine..
    Last edited by SpiritDreamer; 02-26-11 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritDreamer
    ...So not even sure what controversy your talking about.
    I was reffering to what you said in a previous post...
    I love all the controversy. I love all the comments from people who can't think outside the box.
    About being a fine artist...not my words.
    Maybe I misunderstood because it was said in the third person. What was it were you trying to say here?
    at least he's creating something different and he's sticking to his guns. He's more of a real 'fine artist' than most people in here.
    Hope you don't find what I have said offensive..not intended to be so..
    Nope. I'm not offended. I'm just another person expressing himself like you.
    Last edited by Webhead; 02-26-11 at 03:21 PM.
    "Whoever controls the media, the images, controls the culture." - Allen Ginsberg

Webhead..Those words, all of them, except for the very last ones, were said by another forum member named Ehren, and posted in my thread two or three pages back in this sketchbook. I put his name at the end of the statement that he made,..I guess you missed it..
    Anyway, glad you are not offended,..neither am I..and Thanks for stopping by, by the way..

Oh, that explains why it was in the third person. LOL I usually put quotation marks when I quote another person to avoid confusion. Carry on.