Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Webhead..Thanks.
    G Dub...Lots of varables when it comes to boxing and the sequences that are chosen to portray..like retracting the arm that throws the punch, after the punch has landed and followed through the swing...A punch that hasn't quite reached t's distination yet can look like a possible push until it makes contact...The contact shots that you seem to want and would like to see are the easy ones to create, and are pretty common, overdone, and pretty much played out, in my book anyway...I'm after the shots that are harder to depict visually...Some will work, and some won't, and some do, and some don't...That's ok by me...because i've learned something new with each one that i've tried...It's called trial and error and is how things are learned, and is also what sketchbooks are all about and for...If I end up with just one out of fifty tries that is good enough to put in my portfolio, .I will be content...Plus I will have learned a hell of alot along the way..Thank you for your input by the way..your points are well taken by me,....just as I hope mine are by you.
    Last edited by SpiritDreamer; 10-22-11 at 03:22 PM.

Thats cool and all but if you film someone throwing a hook punch in sequence there will never be any frames that look like the poses Im speaking about. I've been a kick boxer for over 2 decades now and I can tell you a hook will not send a person backwards in that manner nor would a boxer throw one that way so it does look wrong. Anyway good luck with the sketches.

It't nice to know that you have been into kick boxing for twenty years now...Great sport...I have been into Karate for the past twenty five years or so myself..Attended the Studio of Billy Blanks where I learned it here in Boston,..private one on one lessons,..expensive, but well worth it...That was right before he went out to Hollywood to make his fortune..with his Tybo thing and karate movies...I also boxed while in the Navy for a few years before that..But anyway,..Like I said,..I hope you take my points as well as i'm taking yours..I'll get a good one going before it's over..these are just wips along the way as stated above each post..
    By the way..did you see that link that I posted above, three days ago...Anatomy of a Fight..Great link..might be useful to you..Check it out if you have the time to..
    Last edited by SpiritDreamer; 10-22-11 at 03:47 PM.

Do you mean the anatomy of a fight link?.....good videos. The 2nd vid he starts off talking about the movement of hips while striking. Important stuff.

Yep that's the one....Really interesting stuff for sure,...makes me wish I were about forty years younger..If I were,..I would jump into his class as soon as I could..especally if I were going into animation..But alas..too old for that now...my art is just something to pass the time now, and to keep the old brain and spirit from rotting...Just something to keep me challenged and to give me pleasure...which it always has, and still does.. on both counts..
    Last edited by SpiritDreamer; 10-22-11 at 04:15 PM.

OCT. 23, 2011
    WIP...Just trying out a couple of different light setups using a couple of different materials while learning and experimenting with the new LightCaps feature...Lots of fun and posibilities to create moods that express feeling using this new feature.
    ZBRUSH 4R2..DynaMesh...LightCap

These are great! I keep looking at them and imagining how they got where they are and where they are going to end up.
    Anyhow I mentioned links other then the tennis one, this one is something I found while working on an artificial life project ages ago:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAxi38FE8xo

And this is something I found while thinking about motion in general, its a bit generic but the use of BVH files is terrific:
    http://humanmotions.com/sculptures/sculptures01.htm

I have a bunch more somewhere but I cant find them at the moment.... mumble.....

How are you posing these?
    When ever I try to pose anything either with the transpose tools or a Zsphere rig I either crash or destroy the thing I was making.

Cheers!
    Last edited by MealeaYing; 10-23-11 at 11:31 AM.
    nope...
    I don't know what I'm doing but I'm doing it anyway.

By any aspect, these last are your best of this series SD. Clear and hard as they have to.
    (the first one is my favorite)
    Last edited by michalis; 10-23-11 at 11:38 AM.

in my eremit cave somewhere in the deep woods of krautland

@Mealea
    zsphere rigs crash for me too for some reason, transposing is a bit rough to use on the other hand, you need to make sure you mask those parts you wanna move correctly according to the muscles that move, blurring the mask also help but completely avoiding crunched areas is probably not possible if you dont wanna spend ages masking, and you will more or less always need to smooth out the joint areas hence if you dont intend to rig and animate it outside of ZBrush its probably good to get the pose right before you do the final sculpt or sculpt in all the little details

@Spirit
    the boxers are coming along nicely id say, would love to see em worked over and turned into a clean and complete sculpt eventually

only thing that kinda disturbs me is that right fist/forearm which strikes the other guy, kinda looks like hes pushing him away with his forearm pressed against his chest instead of shooting the face, might be because the hand/glove is slightly bend... which btw is a very dangerous technique and probably not doable in boxing gloves without breaking your handjoint, had a friend try that in a brawl long time ago, prolly cause it feels cool, he broke his arm lol
    a punch should preferably always be in a direct and straight line, there are of course special situation where this wont be useful but even stuff like the mystical 10inch punch are more or less straight tho probably with a quick snapping movement of the fist to double the impactspeed

ah ok and the colours... mmh, might be a personal opinion thing but i kinda dont fancy that red and black look it has atm, kinda distract from the two guys id say, rather make em red and the background only slighty saturated, but well, thats just my opinion

OCT. 24, 2011

Mealea..Thanks..Those links are great..love em....About the changing of the poses,..I just mask the muscles that are going to be involved in the movement that i'm after..then inverse the mask and move the part to be posed to the position I want it to be in using the transpose feature in ZBRUSH...The anatomy classes that I took years ago come in handy for this way of doing it...I had good teachers who taught me bone structure and relationships, plus every muscle in the human body,..their functions, how they relate to each other, and most importantly, how they relate to the underlying bone structure from which they originate..Pretty amazing machine,..the human body..
    I get a few tears along the muscles edge if I stretch them too much while changing their positions..but thats an easy fix with the new DynaMesh mesh..Just slap some fresh mortar onto the tear, wet it a little, and smooth it over resculpting it as you go along, and as needed..just like in real life sculpting..

Michalis..Thank You...I kind of like that red effect on that one also...has the feel of a fight I think.Color and emotional response go hand in hand..When it comes to expressionism anyway......P.S. Glad to see that you are still with us my friend...Your loss would surely be a true and great loss to this forum...That's my opinion on that matter anyway.

JaySus...Thank you for the input...You have a good eye for detail..Really helpful....I guess i'm just used to Karate where you bend the wrist down, and hit with a powerful snap at the end of the strike in a straight on strike using the first two knuckles as weapons,..without gloves..makes for a deadly and powerful strike...Boxing is a whole different game where a straight wrist is key to success as you noted..and as your friend found out ..the hard way....Live and learn..LOL.

WIP. Just a few more angles ..and repositioning of this pair of boxers this morning.
    I will refine the boxers in the end...just concerned with the gesture and action at the moment..

I really like this last one! Good job

OCT. 25, 2011

Santis...Hey...Thank You..

WIP. Sculpted and worked this morning on the upright boxer throwing the in tight left right combo headshot punches in this new round.
    ZBRUSH 4R2..DynaMesh...LightCap

in my eremit cave somewhere in the deep woods of krautland

@karate
    well that knuckle strike actually follows the same principle, the knuckles form a straight line with the forearm bones, you just have a smaller zone of impact putting more power into a smaller area... should have well trained knuckles for that tho or they might break... if you ever hit the button of a shirt that way youll know what i mean XD, but if yu train em enough theyll produce alot of calcium which might hinder the natural joint movement but also makes em much more sturdy
    but ya that doesnt work for boxing, the whole fist forms a line with the forearm in those gloves which in themselves spread the impact force even more and hence make it viable as a sport and not just somin to beat the crap out of someone lol

LOL...JaySus...Yep..boxing has come along ways from the hundred or so round sport it used to be..at least now gloves are required..and it's down to ten rounds..
    About Karate..I never learned it to compete in a sport...I learned it for survival...aim those knuckles at soft spots..like the temple, throat,sterum for the heart shot ect....Much more strenght with an open palm for the nose,chin, and jaw, and alot less likely to injure your hand..and then there is always the elbow..deadly sharp pointed super strength there, and great for those encounters of the closeup nature...LOL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BOXERS 42.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	232.8 KB 
ID:	278922  
    Last edited by SpiritDreamer; 10-25-11 at 09:51 AM.

OCT. 26, 2011
    WIP. Done playing around with the new and great fancy tricks in ZBRUSH..Starting to work on the anatomy of one of these boxers this morning.
    ZBRUSH 4R2..DynaMesh

Last edited by SpiritDreamer; 10-26-11 at 06:22 AM.