1. #196

    Default

    hi behrooz, thanks for that rgb mat. But what do you think is a better normal map shader to use inside of zbrush in how it translates into results seen in maya. Would it be that normalRGB mat that's been included since the initial release of zbrush, or the DLnormalmap shader that just happened to come up as a shader for download in zbrush's matcap library.

    So far i noticed the difference between those 2 shaders would be the rgb values of the normalrgb shader to be tad more extreme, so results in maya would show a greater range of depth in the normal map details. I don't know if that would be a good or a bad or a neutral thing.
    Birth, Life, Death, Heaven...........3d space.



  2. #197
    New Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Awesome thread this is. Thanks to all Naughty Dog ppl that contribute to this thread. I started the thread this morning at work, and it kinda filled my day. A bit late to the party, but I am happy to see its still going.

    Behrooz: thanks a lot for all the effort you put in here and replying to ppls questions etc. I will make a donation to my favorite cause and look forward to more of your videos / how to's. Also love the way you end all your posts with some quote.

    Cheers

  3. #198
    Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Huntington Beach
    Age
    57
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jinian
    hi behrooz, thanks for that rgb mat. But what do you think is a better normal map shader to use inside of zbrush in how it translates into results seen in maya. Would it be that normalRGB mat that's been included since the initial release of zbrush, or the DLnormalmap shader that just happened to come up as a shader for download in zbrush's matcap library.

    So far i noticed the difference between those 2 shaders would be the rgb values of the normalrgb shader to be tad more extreme, so results in maya would show a greater range of depth in the normal map details. I don't know if that would be a good or a bad or a neutral thing.
    Hi Jinian, Thanks for the info. I havent tried al_normal_map.ZMT(Zbrush downloadcenter matcap effectes library):
    http://www.pixologic.com/zbrush/downloadcenter/library/
    its good to have options ...my thinking is if rgbnormalmat working then dont mess with a good thing. See which one gives the best result.

    @Kodama, welcome to the party.

    Behrooz<-Deming's Theory of Profound Knowledge: Learn-> Practice-> Share.
    Last edited by Behrooz Roozbeh; 04-29-10 at 12:19 PM.
    behrooz roozbeh.........digital artist
    www.rooz3d.com
    LOVE IS.

  4. #199
    New Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Rooz, thank you and Naughty for all this great info. It's great to see you guys helping push things forward in this way. I'm wondering is there an environment modeler version of you lying around somewhere? I would really like to see the workflow of some of the modelers at Naughty Dog. :P

  5. #200
    New Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by indavisual
    I would really like to see the workflow of some of the modelers at Naughty Dog. :P
    Yeah, I would like to see that too... I'm really having hard time doing level creation. huge problems with dimensions and what appears to be right in place...
    It would be nice to hear at least some methods people (environment artists) use at Naughty Dog?
    Behrooz, can You please ask someone out there to write a few lines about process of level creation if you can't help us all by yourself?

  6. #201
    Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Huntington Beach
    Age
    57
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Indavisual, Ex-nitro,
    Our modelers are pretty active bunch, some of them teach at gnomon or other schools and/or active in their respective blogs(ie cg channel).

    My guess is since this is the Zbrushcentral forum, they wont visit/post under zbrush as often.... I will ask around and see if I can send you guys their direction.( unless they use zbrush for modeling environments, which i don't know about)

    meanwhile you may want to search GDC vault for uncharted to get insight on level design and environment modeling practices.
    gdc free talks

    here is a good talk by Robh and Erick:
    uncharted 2 art direction

    digest version
    ........................
    I will be posting part 3 of my tutorials tonight..should be ready for tomorrow viewing.

    rooz<-looking for love in all the wrong places
    Last edited by Behrooz Roozbeh; 05-02-10 at 11:03 PM.
    behrooz roozbeh.........digital artist
    www.rooz3d.com
    LOVE IS.

  7. #202
    Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Huntington Beach
    Age
    57
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Part 3 of my rock wall exercise is here for your review.
    part 3-rockwall composition

    rockwall001-color.jpg rockwall001-normal.jpg



    Behrooz<-Rock & Roll
    behrooz roozbeh.........digital artist
    www.rooz3d.com
    LOVE IS.

  8. #203

    Default

    You guys rocks ! great thread

    Uncharted 2 was stunning, amazing work. So beautiful, inspiring.

    I saw the making of, can't stop watching it

    Our modelers are pretty active bunch, some of them teach at gnomon or other schools and/or active in their respective blogs(ie cg channel).
    Curiously, i'm not surprise at all, you have some of the most talented 3D artists, the reason why Uncharted 2 was so amazing and well-worked.

    Thanks for sharing your knowledge, very helpful.
    And above all, thanks Naughty Dog ! I just can't wait for Uncharted 3
    Keep working ! I beg you !
    French Student from Montreal looking for a job as a 3D artist !

    Artstation Profile
    http://www.artstation.com/artist/DavidD

  9. #204

    Default

    Hi, i saw the latest video tutorial... thanks for the upload.
    I'm just not quite sure what did importing a .zmt into the texture slot in zbrush was for, and if it did anything? Shouldn't had been imported over into the zmat instead?
    Birth, Life, Death, Heaven...........3d space.



  10. #205

    Default

    Awesome tutorial. Thank you very very much

    There are quite a lot of things I thought were possible but never actually managed to get Zbrush to do when I wanted to. Your tutorial is about 100 steps ahead of what I had in mind, though.


    There are a few things I don't quite get right, though:
    * How can you fill your layer with a material? I never get that right....
    * Do you work with layers on your document?
    * How can you Pan by Hotkey on a Mac (that never works for me - I work on a German keyboard layout though)?
    * What's the material you use for Specular and Cavity?

    [edit]
    I might add a little speed increase: If you don't want to position the 3D tiles with the move, rotate and scale tools you can just as well go into edit mode and place the model with the common mouse commands like klick outside to rotate etc.
    The only thing it lacks is moving along Z Axis.
    After positioning - leave 3D edit mode and plae the next 3D Tile

    Just for everyone wo (like me) doesn't like the scale rotate and move tools so much.
    Last edited by Sickness; 05-03-10 at 08:46 AM.

  11. #206

  12. #207
    Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Huntington Beach
    Age
    57
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jinian
    ....
    I'm just not quite sure what did importing a .zmt into the texture slot in zbrush was for, and if it did anything? Shouldn't had been imported over into the zmat instead?
    Not sure which part you are referring to, can you give me a time code from time line?

    by the way I always try layering from different renders and try some shaders that I think gives me the right look, but I end up not using all the layers.

    Behrooz<- randomly chaotic
    Last edited by Behrooz Roozbeh; 05-03-10 at 10:14 AM.
    behrooz roozbeh.........digital artist
    www.rooz3d.com
    LOVE IS.

  13. #208
    Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Huntington Beach
    Age
    57
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sickness
    Awesome tutorial. Thank you very very much

    There are quite a lot of things I thought were possible but never actually managed to get Zbrush to do when I wanted to. Your tutorial is about 100 steps ahead of what I had in mind, though.


    There are a few things I don't quite get right, though:
    * How can you fill your layer with a material? I never get that right....
    * Do you work with layers on your document?
    * How can you Pan by Hotkey on a Mac (that never works for me - I work on a German keyboard layout though)?
    * What's the material you use for Specular and Cavity?

    [edit]
    I might add a little speed increase: If you don't want to position the 3D tiles with the move, rotate and scale tools you can just as well go into edit mode and place the model with the common mouse commands like klick outside to rotate etc.
    The only thing it lacks is moving along Z Axis.
    After positioning - leave 3D edit mode and plae the next 3D Tile

    Just for everyone wo (like me) doesn't like the scale rotate and move tools so much.
    Hi Sickness, Etcher, Glad you find it of some use!

    @Sickness:
    1- to load the canvas with a specific material, there is a specific song and dance I do
    try load the material instead of picking it, also make sure you select simple brush, by the way this works 98% of the time, and it doesn't always work depending on which operation I was using before loading the material.

    2-I do use layers , I didn't use it this time.

    3- Make sure you have zbrush version 3.2....I hold tilde (~) on the english keyboard for panning.

    Behrooz<- time to pay the bills
    behrooz roozbeh.........digital artist
    www.rooz3d.com
    LOVE IS.

  14. #209
    New Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Behrooz, thank you very much for your 3rd part of tutorial and links to GDC10 presentations. It means a LOT to me and to other folks I think!
    Thank you once again! Keep up the good work.

  15. #210

    Default

    Great work man....

    ***1582;***1740;***1604;***1740; ***1582;***1601;***1606; ***1588;***1583;***1606; ...***1740;***1593;***1606;***1740; ***1705;***1604; ***1662;***1585;***1608;***1688;***1607; ***1582;***1740;***1604;***1740; ***1582;***1608;***1576;***1607;...***1608; ***1740;***1705;***1740; ***1575;***1586; ***1593;***1608;***1575;***1605;***1604; ***1605;***1608;***1601;***1602;***1740;***1578; ***1575;***1740;***1606; ***1662;***1585;***1608;***1688;***1607; ***1578;***1705;***1587;***1578;***1670;***1585;***1740;***1606;***1711; ***1582;***1740;***1604;***1740; ***1582;***1608;***1576;***1588;***1607;...
    ***1705;***1607; ***1605;***1593;***1604;***1608;***1605; ***1588;***1583; ***1705;***1607; ***1670;***1585;***1575; ***1582;***1601;***1606;***1607;
    ***1583;***1585; ***1607;***1585; ***1589;***1608;***1585;***1578; ***1605;***1608;***1601;***1602; ***1576;***1575;***1588;***1740;***1606;....
    Omid Moradi.
    Instagram | Artstation | Facebook


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •