New Member Follow User Gallery

I just had to register to say your work is absolutely amazing. It really motivates me to step up from low poly to high poly.
    I two questions though.
    First how long were you both using Zbrush and where did you learn it?
    And lastly, can anyone provide me a tutorial on how to texture in ZBrush, I thought it was just sculpting in the program.

I have very little experience with ZBrush so any help with this would be very greatly appreciated.

Back to the artist's work:
    How long(roughly) did each model take you? They are so incredible, and all planar (from the views I see in wireframe). I'm looking forward to seeing more of your posts and artwork(I already looked at all of your websites, amazing work all of you, it really inspires me to kick it up).

Amazing work guys for the millionth time, I have to say that this game was the reason I converted over to the PS3. Can't wait to see whats going to be the next project from Naughty Dog.

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Cool Cool visual...

...architectures & personnages!
    Is beautiful that please without concept! ( Me and maybe also E Kant)
    Pilou's Galerie Pilou's Tips Tuts Page
    Cameyo's ZPlace Art Surfing Albums
    Dedicaces Perpetual Challenges
    French Pixologic Site

nice, i always wanted to play Uncharted 2.

Wow . i am probably the only one who hasnt played the game yet .. but seeing the artwork surely going to pick a copy soon ! cheers

cool stuff !!

Member Follow User Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by RE3456
    Impressive works, I'm especially interested in how the pipe is on creating those environment texture maps using zb, can you guys give us a quick break down?

Thanks
    wow! got back after watching Avatar in Imax/3D format..its 2 hour 40 minutes of fantastic images!!!

Here are a couple of great online tutorials to get you started..will post more of my method later

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=034651
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=034843
    Last edited by Behrooz Roozbeh; 12-20-09 at 02:28 PM.
    behrooz roozbeh.........digital artist
    www.rooz3d.com
    LOVE IS.

Default Naughty Dog

You guys at Naughty Dog are masters of your craft.
    Ive never played such a well designed and polished game before, in any platform. From concept to design, story, voice & motion acting, you name it.

The Naughty Dog team is what other game developers should aspire to be.

The game of the year award is well deserved, congratulations.

Amazing work on Uncharted 2 guys, very inspiring.

What amazes me as I walk through a level like Nepal is the level of texture variation that you have going on. It's almost impossible to spot 2 similar textures anywhere. How do you achieve this?

You've shown some tilable textures already on previous pages, but how do you dirty them up and give them that 'Made for each object' feel they have. I've noticed some brick walls have punch through alpha overlays, but others just leave me stunned as to how it's achieved.

and lastly, you REALLY need to get Ballistic to publish an art book on UC2 similar to their Gears of War character book.

Member Follow User Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan.A
    Amazing work on Uncharted 2 guys, very inspiring.

What amazes me as I walk through a level like Nepal is the level of texture variation that you have going on. It's almost impossible to spot 2 similar textures anywhere. How do you achieve this?

You've shown some tilable textures already on previous pages, but how do you dirty them up and give them that 'Made for each object' feel they have. I've noticed some brick walls have punch through alpha overlays, but others just leave me stunned as to how it's achieved.

and lastly, you REALLY need to get Ballistic to publish an art book on UC2 similar to their Gears of War character book.
    Thanks for the compliments(truly collaborative effort of programming/designer/lighting/artist at naughty-dog).... book is already in the works (I dont know when).

There is a game shader technique called vertex blending that does wonders for tile-able textures..
    The blend Shader uses two sets of textures plus an additional blend map to reveal another set of textures
    Lets say top texture set is the undamaged version(diffuse, normal, specular,...etc maps)
    and second set is the destroyed version of the tezture set, so using a blend map and painting the vertex (assume red channel of vertex is used for the blending) then depending on vertex value of red channel will reveal the second set of textures.

Watch Maya Techniques:Exlporing Advanced Shading networks video for a bettter understanding
    http://www.arnokroner.com/education/...map/index.html

http://www.arnokroner.com/education/...Tos/index.html

also
    http://developer.nvidia.com/object/f...oser_home.html

We also used detail maps for additional layer of sophistication to the look of the final textures

Attached file is a maya cgfx shader by Kevin Bjorke at Nvidia..
    ('cgfxShader' is actualy a subclass of the Maya-defined 'hwShader' node type)

Behrooz<- uv monkey
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cgfxsahder_screengrab.jpg 
Views:	1942 
Size:	136.7 KB 
ID:	172207   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	damged_undamagedwall.jpg 
Views:	2493 
Size:	485.0 KB 
ID:	172212  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Behrooz Roozbeh; 12-20-09 at 12:52 PM.
    behrooz roozbeh.........digital artist
    www.rooz3d.com
    LOVE IS.

did some of the pages disappear?

Hey guys!

Just passing by to congratulate you all, this game is a pure piece of art, it shines from design, sound, music, but Art wise I guess I can risk saying this is definitely the best game I've ever seen / played.

Also, It's awesome that you guys were able to post models, high polys, textures, etc. It's not every company that let's you do that. That shows Naughty Dog really must be a great studio!

Cheers guys!

PS, xtrm3d you said we could find more on your webpage, but I can't find a link for it!
    Last edited by [HP]; 12-21-09 at 02:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamant
    Hey guys,

Sebalo:
    we used alpha blending. however, in our shader, we have a slider that will slowly "take away" alpha blending.. it will bring the alpha to more of a cutthrough.. so for instance, you could use that to fix some of the sorting issues on a whole.. someone like Drake, who had many more hairs scattered throughout, had a much higher tollerance than say Chloe, who's hair were really mainly soft at the tips making much less overlap with other hairs.. does that make sense?

-Rich
    Thanks for sharing all these usefull information. This demonstrate that Naughty Dog is really an attractive company

OK for the automatic PM, thanks to your explanation.

I think I understand for hair. Basically you have a slider which define an alpha threshold. If alpha value are > to this threshold, you apply alpha testing, else you apply alpha blending. This allow to avoid sorting issue for alpha tested part (alpha > threshold). Is that right ?

I take the opportunity to ask another question about hair lighting (which I found very good on drake ).
    Did you use an anisotropic lighting model for your hair ? Is it a specific lighting model develop by your graphic programmer use only for hair or is it a generic shader with right parameter create by technical artist.

I can't imagine what will be uncharted 3 if any !

I was just gifted the game for Christmas. Looking forward to playing this one. Great looking work.

Default Hi Rich Diamant, sent you a PM

Amazing works, the detail is so stunning and i'm glad you guys banked the awards like LOTR did in the oscars, ha ha congratulations.

Hi Mr. Diamant, just sent you a PM regarding a particular favor i have, looking forward to hearing from you.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891016 ... LastLast