ZBrushCentral

Eoin Cannon's sketchbook

Hi there
I was asked to post this thread to show some of my models done in my spare time in the past 6 months I have been a member of these forums and talk about how ZBrush was used. My sketchbook thread had nudity front and center first page so this is my new start. Everything done with Zbrush and 3DS Max. Many thanks to everybody on the forum for their advice and support and Aurick for the chance to do this.

This model of a Galapagos Giant Tortoise was done for practice modeling unusual anatomy and just because tortoises are pretty neat. I used a really simple basemesh and sculpted it into the general shape I wanted. I then retopologised the mesh in 3ds max 2010 and brought it back into Zbrush for detailing. I used some alphas made in photoshop and some scale-by-scale sculpting by painting masks. Once the shape of the scales was established I used some inflate and clay and standard to make them look a bit better, if I had used better alphas I probably could have skipped this a bit. I also used Damien Canderle’s excellent dam_standard brush for defining wrinkles and folds and the space between scales. The layered look of the shell was acheived by painting overlapping concentric strips using the clay tubes brush. The sculpt was 3 separate ztools, the head and legs, the shell, and the back legs and tail area, each was subdivided to around 6 million polygons. I exported 32 bit displacement maps for use in mental ray for max and did my texture painting mostly in photoshop making use of cavity maps exported from Zbrush along with Zbrush polypainting for various masks and colour blocking. I made a simple rig in max to pose and animate the model and I am working on a walk cycle animation at the moment.

Base mesh

Retopologised mesh

Sculpt

Sample Alphas

Some other models from the last few months.
These have pretty much used the workflow of simple basemesh > basic sculpt > retopologise/UV mapping in max > detail sculpt > displacement maps and render in mental ray.

A single mesh with an 8K displacement/bump map rendered in mental ray.
Posed in ZBrush. I painted some alphas in photoshop as well as using photographs of rhino and other animal’s skin to create alphas.

sculpt

All anatomy done completely in ZBrush, all costume elements blocked out in ZBrush and retopologised in MAX.

Concept sculpt for a friend’s short film, basemesh done in MAX, sculpted in ZBrush.

Thanks for looking:)Cohen_Web_1600.jpg

fig12.jpgTortoiseSculpt.jpgTortoiseWire.jpgTortoiseBase.jpgScalesAlphaSmall.jpgScalesAlphaCropped.jpgfig04.jpg

Attachments

Absolutely astounding work.
:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

wonderful

Beautiful tortoise render.

Richard

crazy detailing man,this is so great in term of detailing like the rhino

That rhino is freaking awesome!

Turtle is awesome!!
I cant wait for the moment when zbrush incorporates some decent renderer that will truly understand all the displacement data coming from Zbrush.
It’s obvious(turtle has the least of that issues) how some detail from zbrush gets lost or gets miss interpreted when rendered in 3rd party app.

Really love the work. Textures are fannnnntastic! Oh, thanks for sharing those alphas! I really wish there was a Brush spot at the download center where matcaps can be found. I’ve a few I’d upload for sure! Look forward to seeing more of your work. Ref folder jewels indeed!

Congratulations for the top row,
Really deserved, you have some stunnin work here,
Added to my favs
Cheers
Fernando

:+1: :sunglasses: :+1:

Fantastic work…i like this Turtle :wink:

freaking awesome bro!!, totally top row, this is great example of profesional work, five stars from me. Congrats and keep it up!!!

saw the old man model in the cgtalk front page, and a frontpage here is just as deserving, keep up the great work!

you are simply an amazing artist and a huge inspiration!
thanks for sharing

Awsome…Love the turtle and the Rhino top notch work…Congrats…
Nice too see another Melbourne Zbrusher :).

Hey thanks for all the kind words guys and thanks Aurick and ZBrushcentral for plugging my stuff. Some amazing artists on here so I’m never short of inspiration.

Merry Christmas/Happy holidays to all.

amazing work:+1:

Fantastic job.
Just no words. Some emotions.
Modeling and texturing at altitude.
The best I’ve seen associated with the animal world.
Respect!

Absolutely awesome stuff! Shoulda known only someone from Melbourne could be so talented! (Born & raised in Dand. living in Qld). Many thaks for the Alphas. Is the White Rhino from Weribee?