Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Some hair details, textures, displacements, PP. Before I'll start exporting for setting a scene and rendering.
    pDIS2.jpg

Cool stuff man, a really well executed portrait! Is he going to get eyeballs?

@etcher: thanks, so you like the watercolor, so what I'm doing here, its time for some more paintings. I mean it
    @Obz: thanks man, eyeballs, why not. But of what kind? I'll visit the archeological athens museum tomorrow, maybe I'll learn something more there. I have another version (without hair) thinking to start painting it and go for fur, eyes etc in blender.
    But all this came too naturalistic for my taste. Something more expressionistic is what I had in mind. More 'pure' sculpture.

th.jpg
    A simple way to sculpt 'archaic' hair. Just an idea, have fun.

start with a simple brush, (dam_standard with a wide alpha), following topology, never mind how it looks like.
    Picture 2.jpg Picture 8.jpg

Move tool, front and side views simultaneously. Try to keep an arch shape as possible.
    Picture 3.jpg

Subdivide and use flattener tool, to have a 'third' face. Following and moving topology results to a handy low poly mesh too.
    Picture 4.jpg Picture 5.jpg

Nice technique ! I guess it's faster than justdoing the curves on a square topology. Thanks a lot for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by michalis
    @Obz: thanks man, eyeballs, why not. But of what kind? I'll visit the archeological athens museum tomorrow, maybe I'll learn something more there. I have another version (without hair) thinking to start painting it and go for fur, eyes etc in blender.
    But all this came too naturalistic for my taste. Something more expressionistic is what I had in mind. More 'pure' sculpture.
    I say make them "Michalistic". Get too wrapped up in "isms" and "istics" and you may miss out on something good due to prejudice.

Nice work on the "hair how to", I had always been curious of the approach by fellows who sculpted hair in the classic style like that. Good stuff.

Right HellGrind. You'll find that a 500k faces mesh is almost enough.
    Most important here is to keep an arch feel. An 'S' look from two views if possible (move tool).
    Sorry obz, we were posting the same time. Yeah 'michalistic'
    Last edited by michalis; 06-17-10 at 07:07 AM.

Member Follow User Gallery

hey!michalis! thank you for sharing your techniqu!
    even seen your thread,I told me i had lots of to learn!.

Clean way to achieve that hair! If the underlying geometry does not flow with the pattern there will be a lot of problems later down the road. If it's done this way a simple subdivision is enough to smooth it well. If it's "forced", you need millions of polygons to cover up the neglect .
    Well done!
    Lemo

So, always follow basic geometry, then move tool. In almost any case, not just the hair.

New Member Follow User Gallery

Wow super inspired project. Looks really good so far. Your anatomy on the lady is really nice - she's wonderfully plump. You're textures look great too. I'll gonna stay tuned for sure.

pblTh.jpg
    Some test renders in blender internal. Imported as a multires model, no displacement needed, matcap adopted from zb.

pbl2.jpg
    pbl5.jpg
    pbl6.jpg

Member Follow User Gallery

Nice statue!. Great sculpting.

Beautiful sculpts! You do a great job of making them look like ancient and rustic statues.
    "Whoever controls the media, the images, controls the culture." - Allen Ginsberg

Page 5 of 66 FirstFirst ... 2345678142954 ... LastLast