ZBrushCentral

Tutorial: 3D Texturing made easy…

Hi,

In ZBrush, There are varieties of methods, which will allow you to apply texture to a 3D object. This tutorial will explain one of these methods.

One common method of applying a realistic texture to a 3D object involves the use of a pre-existing photograph of a real-world object.
This method can easily produces very good results. ZBrush has a 3DCopy function, which is designed to make the texturing process a fun and easy to execute.

In order to better understand the functionality of the 3DCopy, I will point out some items that would have been difficult to overcome without this functionality…
Seamless textures: Most images that are used/available for texturing are not seamless and if simply applied to a 3D object will produce a visible seem.
3D Distortions: When a texture is applied to a 3D object, it will be distorted based on the geometry (and UV coordinates) of the 3D object. This problem is difficult to overcome because it requires the texture to be properly distorted in order for it to be viewed un-distorted on a 3D object. Further more, a texture that needs to be modified by adding new details would have to be modified in such way that the added details would look undistorted when applied to a 3D object. The image below shows a star, which has been added to a texture. When applying this texture to the 3D object, the star shape is distorted and is no longer of the same dimensions as it was originally drawn.

The method that is described below, overcomes these difficulties by allowing ZBrush to automatically distort( apply projection ) the texture to fit the object’s geometry and by utilizing 3D-based blending it produces seamless 3D textured object. The texture can also be modified and painted on by any of ZBrush’s tools and when these modifications are mapped into the object’s texture, ZBrush will automatically apply a proper distortion to the texture, which will allow it to be viewed undistorted when applied to the 3D object.

In this example I have used a simple vase object and a marble base texture, which you can download by clicking the icon below. (It is not necessary to load this file, the instructions below can be used with any texture and any of your created/modified 3D objects or even a simple Sphere3D object)

:red_circle:Let’s get started…

Step 00: Restart ZBrush.This tutorial is written with the assumption that all of ZBrush settings are at their default (Start-Up) configuration.
Step 01: Import the texture into ZBrush by using the TEXTURE.INVENTORY.IMPORT function. We need to fill the canvas area with the texture that we will be using. To do so, you need to select the texture (in the TEXTURE menu) and apply LAYER.MODIFIERS.Fill function (or press ctrl+f keys )

Turn off texture before moving to the next step.

Step02: Load the 3D object and place it in the canvas. As seen in the image below…

The object that we have drawn is - by default - drawn at the same depth as the existing Pixols, which means that half of the object is imbedded within the existing canvas-surface. In order to better understand this point, you can enter TRANSFORM.ROTATE mode and rotate the object. You’ll notice that as you rotating, parts of the object are not visible because they are behind the existing surface. See image below…

(If you are using a simple unmodified Sphere3D object you will not be able to view the imbedded portion because it is exactly the same half of the sphere that would have normally been hidden)

We need to bring the object closer to us in order to make sure that it is fully in front of the existing canvas-surface. To do so, we need to enter TRANSFORM.MOVE or TRANSFORM.ROTATE mode. When in either of these modes, we can click outside the object and ‘drag’ the cursor down. This will bring the object closer. You may repeat this step one more time in order to make sure that we have moved the object close enough.

Enter TRANSFORM.EDIT mode before moving to the next step.

Step03: It is time to create the texture that will be wrapped on top of the 3D object. In this case, I have chosen to create a texture, which is 1024x1024 in size. To do so you need to enter 1024 in the TEXTURE.INVENTORY.WIDTH slider as well as in the TEXTURE.INVENTORY.HEIGHT slider. Press the TEXTURE.INVENTORY.NEW button and a new texture will be created with the specified dimensions.

Step04 Preparing 3DCopy for texturing:
We will be using the 3DCopy function in order to transfer color information from the canvas to the object’s texture. We need to press the TRANSFORM.3DCOPY.AUTOINT button which will activate the orientation-based-auto-intensity of the 3DCopy function. Activating this feature enables the 3DCopy auto-blending function, which allows for seamless texturing. Verify that TRANSFORM.3DCOPY.Sis unpressed.

Step05 The texturing stage:
Press the TRANSFORM.3DCOPY.3D COPY or press ctrl+g to garb and transfer colors from the canvas to the 3D object. As shown in the image below…

After you have applied the 3DCopy function, you’ll see that the portion of the canvas that was under your 3D object has been transferred into the object’s texture, further more, the intensity of the transfer was automatically set by ZBrush based on the orientation of the surface. Take a look at the TEXTURE menu and you’ll see that ZBrush has ‘distorted’ the texture properly in order to have it shown undistorted when mapped to the 3D object.

While still in edit mode, rotate the object (by clicking outside the object and drag to rotate) in order to reveal another portion of your object and apply TRANSFORM.3DCOPY.3D COPY again. Keep rotating and applying 3DCopy as many times as needed in order to fully texture the object.
You may, at any time, exit EDIT mode and enter TRANSFORM.MOVE mode in order to move the object to another location in the canvas and continue 3DCopy from the new location.
Note: Because we were careful to properly position the object in front of the canvas surface, when using the TRANSFOR.MOVE mode you would need to click on the GRAY TRANSFORM ring in order to restrict the movement of the object to 2 dimensions (right/left/up/down) without moving the object in the z axis (in/out).
If done properly, you should have now a fully textured object similar to the image below.

While the object is still in transform mode, press crtl+n to clear canvas (a floating object will not be effected by the Clear function)

Step05:
It is time to draw a star on the vase.
Rotate the object in such way that the indented position of the about-to-be-drawn star will be facing you. Place a Marker by pressing ctrl+m (TRANSFOR.m+). We are placing a marker because we about to switch to another tool and we would like the current position and orientation of the 3D object to be stored. This marker will later be used in order to re-draw the object in exactly the same position, size and orientation.

We can now select any of ZBrush’s other tools and in this example we will be using the PolyMesh3D tool in order to draw a star in the canvas. Select the PolyMesh3D tool. Select yellow color. We will be using the PolyMesh3D tool to draw a star in the canvas. We are only interest in applying color and not any depth information. To do so we need to turn off ZAdd.
Draw a star in the canvas. Similar to the image below…

We can now continue and draw more stars, or select any other tool and continue to draw and modify the texture (do not forget to turn off the ZAdd in each tool that you will be using)

In order to grab and transfer the modified texture to the 3D object, we need to first re-select the 3D object that we are texturing. Locate the marker that we have previously placed and simply click on this marker once. If done properly, the object will be re-drawn in the canvas and its texture will be hiding the modified canvas texture. Activate the TRANSFORM.EDIT(press t) mode and re-apply 3DCopy(press ctrl+g). If done properly, you’ll see that the texture has been updated to reflect the drawings that you have applied to the canvas. You may now clear the canvas (by pressing ctrl+n) click outside the object and rotate the object to reveal another area that you may want to modify and repeat step 5.

:warning: Notes:
:white_small_square: The quality of the 3DCopy is depended on the size of the of the texture. Larger texture will produce more details.
:white_small_square: The intensity that is used by 3DCopy can be controlled in TRANSFORM:3DCOPY.AUTO INTENSITY CURVE.
:white_small_square: During the texturing process, you may periodically to use the TEXTURE.INVENTORY.CLONE function in order the create a copy of the texture which will allow you to revert to previous version when you have made a mistake or have changed your mind.

I hope that you’ll find this tutorial helpful :slight_smile:
If you try this tutorial, please post your image and finding.

:large_orange_diamond:Pixolator

:small_blue_diamond: EDIT…
Here is another example that was created by using the same technique.
Digits posted the texture in the following thread.

Using the 3D Copy, I was able to quickly apply it to a 3D object…

I just want everyone on to know that since I found this spot on the web, I am NOT sleeping! I can’t stay off this board!

:eek:

Pixolator, that tutorial is awesome! It is JUST what I’ve been trying to solve myself.
I’ll post my finished product…course it’s 12:30 am and I should be asleep…
the muse is upon me!

:slight_smile: 'Evening Pixolator…Great Tutorial! After applying the grabbing the texture from the background, I then scaled up some bump mapping from the texture for more reality - looks pretty good. The only thing I would suggest is, in your tutorial you might want to add before pressing the 3DCopy button - make sure you have the “S” button next to it activated. I tried several times without the “S” selected & got nothing but the Base color of the background, activating the “S” button copies the colors of the texture to the object. :wink: Thanks for the tut! Have a good one… :cool: Mark.

Thanks Kathy :slight_smile:
Thanks Kruzr :slight_smile: The difference is that by pressing the “S” key, you are instructing ZBrush to copy the shaded (baked) colors from the canvas into your object instead of the unshaded colors. This tutorial is utilizing the 3DCopy with the “s” option in off (default) state. (If you follow all the steps presented in this tutorial and still not getting the expected result, please let me know)
-Pixolator

:slight_smile: 'Morning Pixolator…OK, I figured out what I was doing wrong. Through habit - I created a new layer to build the Object on, & in doing so, when I attempted to grab the background texture, there WAS no texture in that layer to grab. So this time around I built my object in the same layer that had the texture applied. The tut went exactly as you explained - without the “S” button active. One of the really neat features of grabbing a texture in this way, is you can scale a little “Color Bump” & the image becomes 3D on the vase, you can see the trees & mountains jump out at you. Very nice indeed!!! :smiley: Thanks again for this tut & I’ll Z’ya later… :cool: Mark.

Okay, here’s my pot. I through the frog in under the same circumstances. I thought the pot looked lonely. :wink:

:slight_smile: Hey Kathy…I like your pot! Hummmmm - I guess that doesn’t sound right, but that’s what you called it “My Pot”??? :smiley: Hahahaha. I like the way your frog is clinging to the side of the pot, it must be a tree frog, cause they can cling to almost anything with their sticky feet??? Maybe we’ll just call it a “POT FROG” or “FROG POT” or whatever! Anyway, a very nice image, I’m glad to see someone else post an image on this “Tut Topic”. Have Z good one & I’ll Z’ya later… :cool: Mark.

Hi everyone.
I’m a fresh z-brusher. My name is Jeff.i lovely this tool. but i have a few problems in this tool using.i need help someone.
that is i want to rotate new star polymesh3d object(turn off zadd mesh) with previously 3d objct.
please i need more detail explain about this problem. :slight_smile:

:confused:

i did an exact following to Pixorlator’s this tutorial.
well…as a matter of fact i’m be hardly distinguishable from Maker tool function.thanks!

Hi Jeffery…Welcome to ZBCentral. If all the instructions in Pixolator’s tutorial are followed up to the point of where you apply the “PolyMesh” Star image to the vase, then you should still be able to rotate the vase. It should follow all the same rules with the star - as it did with the background. I don’t know what else to say at this point, without some more information. :slight_smile: Have Z good one… :cool: Mark.

Hey Excellent tutorial Pixolator! My knowledge of ZBrush has just shot through the roof!! Below is my first attempt at appling your tutorial to a quickly built model. (I just wish I had spent some more time modeling the ears!)

Here’s a quick explanation…

1. Built the model. It started looking like an old man so I made it into one.
  2. Found a picture of a model and made a skin-texture in photoshop from the model’s cheek. I imported this into ZBrush.
  3. Applied this to the model as described in your tutorial. I found it a bit tricky applying it behind the ears.
  4. I tried applying the stars to the head but stuffed it up. I realise the head was still half-in the canvas layer. Doh! I had to start again from Step 2.
  5. After the texture was applied I started colouring the skin to emphasize the weight and warmth
  6. I started playing with materials, but it started going blotchy.
  7. So I started mucking around with materials and realised that the defaults are too over-kill for what I wanted. I had to make the materials very suttle to let the skin look “matte” enough or less-plastic. I realised it was silly playing around with materials at this stage until I had set up my lights.
  8. I feel it is important for the lights to model 50-percent of the sceane and meshes in it. (thats what we do in the 3d animation profession) so I set up a three lights as southern described on his website.
  9. So balancing the lights & shadows I went back into the materials and played around with the specular, adding noise and colour bump.
  10. After I was finished with the head I marked it and snapshotted it into the canvas. I added eyeballs and realised I had to make seperate eyelids for this model. I painted in the eyballs and added hair, then exported the image. I touched up the left eyeball a little as I stuffed it up. I just hate that right damn ear!!

Thanks for posting your cool :cool: images and sharing your knowledge :slight_smile:

Jeffery: Are you still experiencing difficulties ? If you do, then let me know and I will try to help.

Hey, Pixolator and everybody at ZbrushCentral. I’m new to Zbrush, and I just took this tutorial. At least, i got part way through it. when I got to the adding the star part, I couldn’t figure out where the marker was. Am I supposed to be able to see it? N E way, it’s really cool even without the star, also, are there any skin .bmp images on ZBrushCentral? I’ve seen them before, but I can’t find them now when I need 'em. Thanks

Could someone please help with this tutorial? I get as far as re-selecting the 3d object but when I click once on the marker nothing happens. I have done this several times following the tutorial step by step. The tutorial does say “if this is done properly” which indicates to me that it is easy not to do it properly. What am I doing wrong? I just can’t get the 3d object to be editable again or get the star onto the star as part of the texture.

Any help greatly appreciated
thanks
Di

Hi Diane . . . :slight_smile:

Rather than go into an explanation of how to complete the tutorial your trying, I’d like to say that this article, or ( tutorial ), has become obsolete since the creation of the “TextureMaster” ZScript. Everything texture wise can be created now by using the “TextureMaster” ZScript, so I don’t really think there is any reason for completing this tutorial. :rolleyes:

I hope this helps you some & you have a good one . . . :cool: Mark.

Diane, the most common reason for a marker not to do anything on the canvas with your first click is if the Marker palette settings have Tool turned on. If this is the case, then your first click of a marker will recall the object in the Tool palette, but not draw it. A second click of the marker would then actually draw it.

As Mark said, this technique is now by and large extinct thanks to the TextureMaster. That ZScript uses the methods explained in this tutorial, plus some more advanced stuff, and automates the entire process so that you can concentrate on texturing rather than mechanics.

You’ll find the TextureMaster, along with a text version of its tutorial, in This Thread.

Hi all. I am a new ZBrush user. Thanks for the useful tutorial Pixolator.

Hi Vlad
Welcome aboard!
I believe that this tut is inside the Prog It’s Name “Easy Texturing” :slight_smile:
Have happy Zbrushing!
Pilou