ZBrushCentral

Seagulls by Dave

A mile from shore a fishing boat chummed the water, and the word for Breakfast Flock flashed through the air, till a crowd of a thousand seagulls came to dodge and fight for bits of food. It was another busy day beginning.
But way off alone, out by himself beyond boat and shore, Jonathan Livingston Seagull was practicing.
Very basic render with everything in VUE except the wonderful gulls. Thanks, once again, Dave for letting me practice!

Sorry Susan, but I forgot to tell you how to bend the wings properly to vary the gulls in your image. Import your obj back into ZBrush to bend the wings, for import click on the star in the tools palette, then click on inventory under modifiers, then click import and locate the seagull file. Next click modifiers followed by deformation, then click on rotate z and type in 90, open the transform palette, click on draw pointer and edit, if you are not sure what’s what just let the mouse hover over with no mouse button pressed and it will tell you what the symbols are. Then hold down control and the left mouse button, and mask everything but the wings of the seagull in the main document, make sure it is all masked well or other parts of the seagull will bend with the wings. Go to bend in the deform palette and bend them either up or down, set bend on z, as much as you want, when you have finished go to the selection palette and click clear to take the masking off, it is just a case the of exporting the file as an obj again. Don’t worry that the texture doesn’t appear on it while it is in Z.
I hope this and the screen captures will help, as I am not that good at writing instructions out, if its not clear enough I’m sure somebody will put it right.
Anyway good work on the image.
Dave

Dave the directions are very clear and the screen captures great, but when I go to do the mask part it just adds another seagull?
I clicked on the star and then imported the seagull.obj file, also tried it loading the original tool? I know I am missing something simple :rolleyes: Sorry!

very nice image SQS…DeeVee is doing some great stuff in Vue these days too…and I have to tell you that Dm (dave) does some top notch looking models in my opinion. Looking forward to more of your Vue Hybrid works…coz it is really nice to see zbrush being used in conjunction with other mainstreamer progs. Keep up the great work.
Ron :cool: :cool: :cool:

One thing that would explain what’s happening Susan, is that you are clicking snapshot in the transform palette instead of edit. This would create a seagull that is fixed in the document, and copy that you can move.

This is what should be highlighted before you do your masking, the top one is draw pointer, the bottom one edit. Hope this helps.
Sorry for the email, but I had not yet looked at the forum today.

Thanks for the comments Ron, as I noticed with your latest you are moving on well with the modelling. As I have said before, it is only time and effort, to produce the best you can at that point in time that helps you to move on, which applies equally to Vue. I don’t bother about the amount of images I put on, but aim to do the best I can with the image I am working on, what I haven’t got right with that one, and inevitably there will always be things that could be better, then I try to improve those points next time.
Having said that, the first Vue image I put on Renderosity, contained a nude figure, that was a Poser figure morphed in Z, then I spent some hours in PSP getting it as photo realistic as possible, for normal people there was nothing offensive about it. The whole image took about two weeks before I was satisfied with it. The first comment I got on the Vue gallery was not criticism but just downright nasty, I removed the image thinking that maybe on that particular gallery they were offended by nudity. I have since seen the characters own images, which tend to be dour and murky, and get little response if any, and the last thing he put on was not even an image just 4 or 5 lines of text that were a political statement. Seeing where his views lay I realised that I had just been unfortunate getting him as my first commenter, he obviously has his own political agenda, and thought he would take a pop at me as a newbie on the gallery.
Dave

great use of a great tool! bravissima, Susan! :smiley:

• juandel

Thanks for your patience, Dave! I have finally figured out the masking and am now experimenting with moving the wings. Will keep you posted :smiley: