Member Follow User Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by saut
    As I'm following along the tutorials, I find that sometimes the "Edit" button cannot be activated. The only way I can get back to it is to quit and reopen Z-brush. I am using version 4.0 on a Mac. What am I doing to make Edit unavailable and what can I do to fix that?
    This is one of the fundamentally retarded issues with ZBrush's basic design. What you're probably experiencing is that your model is being "dropped to the canvas." This happens because ZBrush is actually just a "2.5D" painting app with an ability to "model" what it considers "tools." So a "tool" can = a paint brush or a 3D object that you can apply to the 2D canvas. Once a model/Tool is dropped to the canvas, it no longer exists as a 3D object. It becomes part of the "2.5D" painting that's always there on your screen whether or not you plan to use it (or care about such a feature, which, IMO, most ZBrush users don't). This is why you cannot use the Edit button. There's nothing to edit any more.

What you need to do is look on your Tools palette to see if the last state of your model is stored there. You might want to clear the canvas before you start working on the "Tool" again, though. When you wish to save your models, you must save it as a Tool, in the Tool palette, not as a document.

Surely other posters can give you more details, but this is one of the things i hate most about ZBrush. It's just not built to BE a 3D modeler. Proper behavior for this kind of thing is in Sculptris...
    Last edited by dysamoria; 05-11-11 at 09:34 AM.

When you first bring in a mesh through IMPORT you need to hit the Edit button immediately or you will not be able to do it after you begin tooling with the mesh.

Quote Originally Posted by saut
    As I'm following along the tutorials, I find that sometimes the "Edit" button cannot be activated. The only way I can get back to it is to quit and reopen Z-brush. I am using version 4.0 on a Mac. What am I doing to make Edit unavailable and what can I do to fix that?

New Member Follow User Gallery

Default Video paths are wrong

Hello and a big thanks for the excellent beginners video tutorials. I am so impressed by the effort that you guys have gone through to make this software so accessible through training. Have a problem though - the videos at:

http://www.pixologic.com/zclassroom/...esson=zspheres

are missing or are giving error messages about the paths in the xml file. Basically a 'video cannot be found, check the paths in the xml file'

Hope this can be sorted soon as I am really getting to grips with zbrush and this is a spanner in my works!

Thanks again for a fantastic learning resource(s) - Larry

thanx a lot for these videos but is there any way to download & save these for later use?

Default Sorted!

For some unknown but very welcome reason the videos are playing really well now!

I followed most of the videos and they're really great to follow. I'm new to the whole 3d thing however and while I was trying on some small experiment I kind of got stuck when it came to texturing, spotlight, polypainting and UV maps (read: utterly confused, so if anyone can help me out I would be beyond grateful).

I was sculpting some quick fish and was planning on exporting it to Cinema4d, all fine. However I thought of texturing the fish. So I did with Spotlight. Then I decided to polypaint some over the texture. I saved the fish as ZTL and the OBJ. However now the confusion begins; I don't know how to export. In my Zbrush I can get my fishtool back, and the fish 'looks' textured and all, but everywhere in the tools I look I can't find an actual texture map or something. I thought it's because I have to make some kind of UV map for the texture with the UV master plugin...however the rub is there before unwrapping my fish I have to reduce the polygons first; when making a clone it doesn't reduce anything.....and at the Geometry tool I found out I can't really reduce the polygons of my fish anymore...(flail: something went greatly wrong here).. Everything considering geometry is unselectable (can't subdivide, can't undivide, can't do anything; I am in edit mode though). The high polygon rate is a much too high rate for my computer to handle the unwrapping of the fish, my programme keeps freaking and closing down. When clicking to make the fish a polymesh 3d however once (after that attempt later on after my computer freaked it didn't work anyway), I could reduce the polygons, however then my whole texture seemed gone and my fish was a palewhite again while I 'think' I needed the texture anyway.

I'm completely confused, and I don't even know if my story makes sense. I don't know what to do from here, I'm completely stuck.

In short; I'm trying to export both the OBJ file of the fish WITH the texture (both made with Spotlight and the polypaint tool) to Cinema4d.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fishofdoom.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	383.1 KB 
ID:	262891  

Great videotutorials and very helpful!

Warning: the next things to come, come from a newb who's completley new to everything considering 3d modelling:

I decided to mess around some for the first time with Zbrush and decided on trying to get some sculpted fish exported to cinema4d. However I encountered some problems and now I'm fairly to extremely stuck....

I sculpted a fish (and maybe quite recklesslessly I subdivided and subdivided the mesh). Then I textured it using Spotlight and Polypaint.
    Here comes the rub: I only really know how to export the OBJ and haven't really found how to export the textures. I figured I might have to use the UV master to make a UV map with the texture embedded in there (correct me if I'm completely wrong!)....
    The problem there is I don't really know if I'm just getting the lighting and 3d information to create some template without the texture. Other than that when creating a cloned object it doesn't return to it's most basic polygon level but the fish remains having the ridiculous amount of polygons; when unwrapping my programme crashes. I tried to reduce the number of polygons thorugh geometry, however there's nothing that's selectable in that section... I can't subdivide or undivide, not increase and not decrease polygons. (My fish is in editing mode though).
    Only if I make a polymesh3d (again? I don't understand) I can reduce the polygons...but then my texture gets lost.
    What bothers me aswell is even though I have a ZTL of my fish and an OBJ; in Zbrush it's textured. I can't seem to find any reference to some kind of texture in my tool palette....

If the above just seems like odd non understandable rambling without an end my issue is this: I don't know how to export both my fish and my texture to cinema4d. Everything I tried didn't work and I encountered a lot of problems.

Last but not least: the difference between texturing, polypainting and UV mapping fairly confuses me and I think that's the origin of my complete journey of flaws and failure towards creating my fish of doom.

Name:	Fishofdoom.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	383.1 KB 
ID:	262895  

Default Navigation question

Hey, I have been sculpting for just a little while now and I am loving Zbrush! It's great to take my traditional and digital painting experience into the 3D realm.

But here is my problem / question:

I am one that likes to tap my pen while adding textures.
    Z-brush is set up so that Alt changes Zadd to Zsub, which I love!

So, Why on earth is Alt-singleClick - Frame Ztool? Does anyone else see this as a problem? I would be brushing on textures and my frame jumps to Fit Mesh to View. I looked onto the Zbrush wiki that tells how to change shortcuts, but when I Ctrl-alt click on Frame and hit Del to get rid of the short-cut, it says that it is standard and cannot be deleted. I don't want to get rid of the 'F' shortcut, just the Alt-click.

I mean, I can completely work around this, but it would help so much with the fluidity of my workflow. So, let me know what you think! Is there a way to fix this? Is it ever an issue for you? How do you work around it?

Thanks so much for running such a wonderful forum, and I am looking forward to knowing what you think!
    And more so, Thank you for simply one of the finest application ever built. I love Z-brush, and the Z-brush team!

-Stufflebeam.
    Last edited by Stufflebeam; 07-27-11 at 03:10 PM.

Default Unified Skin - Alien Helmet Tutorial - Problem

Hi,

Im new to ZBrush so I obviously have some beginner problems using the software.

Looking and remaking the Alien Helmet I encountered a problem at the "using Unified Skin" part. After applying the Unified Skin and trying to show only a single PolyF I dont get the hollow part like in the tutorial, instead I get the whole part of chosen poly (attachement)
    I also noticed that the "Border" slider in Unified Skin is not active by me.

What are the solutions to this 2 problems?

Hopefully its clear whats the issues are here and tnx for any advice upfront.

Name:	ZBrush-Document.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	267451  

FenixFrank
    Guest User Gallery

Hi there, I'm trying to learn with the video tutorials but I'm a little stuck in the planar trim brushes part, specifically in the "move brush" video. I'm not able to find the Move 2 and the other brushes mentioned there. I'm using Zbrush 4, could someone tell me where to find/download this brushes? Thanks in advance.

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by FenixFrank
    Hi there, I'm trying to learn with the video tutorials but I'm a little stuck in the planar trim brushes part, specifically in the "move brush" video. I'm not able to find the Move 2 and the other brushes mentioned there. I'm using Zbrush 4, could someone tell me where to find/download this brushes? Thanks in advance.
    Hi!
    You need to load that one. Its in the "BRUSHES" directory in your Zbrush directory, on mine it in :
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Pixologic\ZBrush 4.0\ZBrushes

I hope that helps.

Cheers!
    Mealea
    nope...
    I don't know what I'm doing but I'm doing it anyway.

FenixFrank
    Guest User Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by MealeaYing
    Hi!
    You need to load that one. Its in the "BRUSHES" directory in your Zbrush directory, on mine it in :
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Pixologic\ZBrush 4.0\ZBrushes

I hope that helps.

Cheers!
    Mealea
    Thank you very much! It helped, now I'll keep learning :P

FenixFrank
    Guest User Gallery

Sorry for the double post, I'm now on the "Concept Car" tutorial and I'm trying to follow it. I've got to the point after the unified skin, when the artist start painting the car with the "layer brush". I've tried to use the same settings for it but, the thing is that the brush doesn't work like in the video, i.e., I got a color that doesn't have the "borders" like the artist's brush (when using dragrect), when using other options (like dots) the colors seem to be sprayed. I think it has something to do with the divisions but I'm not sure, as I said before, I've been trying to use the same settings as the artist. Any help is really appreciated, I really want to complete the tutorials

Thanks in Advance!

Default Problem!!!

Hi,
    I'm the begginer at 3d and ZBrush.
    I am learning from tutorial video " No More wine" but I have problem at the begging.
    After activy symetry, and draw tentacles artist press "a" to show the results, there look nice, smoothy but not in my work problem.JPG.

On video I see that the artist don't use any brush while he playing ZSphere, but in my program there is always Sketch, armatur or any other.

Please for help. What am I doing wrong, what I should change, and how to do that??

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

play with settings under adaptive skin
    Damien Trippeda .... Novice Zbrusher
    Sketchbook/Experiments: http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=154187

Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192026 ... LastLast