ZBrushCentral

Rhino Skin

More fun with Zbrush.
For this image I used custom stencils
to help with the more fine areas of detail.
The image below is just the raw polys!
All this detail and I can still sculpt the
mesh. Zbrush is cool.

You can see when I dont have much time I dont have to care much about the topology on the lowRez ( done in Maya ). Zbrush’s speed allows me to get right in and flesh
out the design in 3d.

Dave

ohhh… Man that is top notch. It looks incredible. Congrats on job well done. You could get to photoreal easily using that map. I think so any way. It looks that good to me. :+1:

Dave! Photography are prohibited here!
only CG work :stuck_out_tongue:
Nice done! :+1: :+1:

Sky castle i must say it, you are God of modelling, I love every sigle model you’ve made. And it’s not because of details wchich of course you add with sense of it, but because of the whole shape which I think is most important in model. So keep working and give us more inspiration :).

very nice work !!!
did you made the uv on maya or on zbrush ??

Thanks for the comments.

As far as UVs go I did not worry about them
at this point. Remember with Zbrush you
can go back and update the UVs at any time.
This is an important feature since in production work the UVs can change on a model several times.

So I can detail all I want then update the UVs later. There are no maps on this model now what your seeing is just the geo.

thanks

Dave

mother of god…incredible work…
maybe one day you will made tutorial :rolleyes:

sorry 4my bad english

Nice! I used to use the stencil alot with 1.55b. Now, with the new Z, its another modeling tool, and that makes me REALLY excite…just plan forgot about it.
Thanks skycastle! :+1: :+1: :+1:

Hey man great stuff, by custom stencils do you mean you would make your own brushes and import them into the alpha palatte, then use them with projection master?

I totally agree with KrisTaylor’s
curiosity, how can one use the stencil in projection master ?? Do you make alphas ?
THX a lot, great model M. Cardwell, I wish you could polish your black man off.

Now that’s horny.

Superb work. :+1:

:slight_smile: Thats a great rhino,awsome details and custom stencils, very nice :+1: :+1:

If I may answer.
Stencils work with alphas. So he could easily import a rhino/elephant skin alpha into Z.
Then all he as to do is use pm to drop the model. The model is now a snapshot on the canvas. Because of this, a stencil can now be used on it, turn it off when done, and pick the model back up (hotkey g to drop and pickup with pm for the shortcut lovers). Nothing to it really. The big difference between brushes and the stencil is the stencil can conform (wrap) to a model based on pixol normal. This allows one to take, oh let say a skin alpha, and have it follow the folds in a model.
:wink:
The possibilities…

Superb, your work is just staggering!

Thx you very much Mahlikus The Black, Indeed your precisions are precious, i didn’t get the difference at first between stencil and brush. Very good to know.

http://www.pixolator.com/zbc-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=013874&p=3

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Wchamlet,

Yes. I think as has been stated in earlier
threads on this forum.
You can bake out Displacement Maps, ( Which we used on ROTK )
Normal Maps, Color maps or Color with lighting and shading.

Its all in there. Its fast and painless.

Thanks for everyones comments!

Dave <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry to hijack your thread a bit Dave, but I wanted to ask you a question.

A few months ago, I had asked wether or not you can bake the shader, material in Zbrush, to texture. You said you can do that in Z2, but for the life of me I can’t figure out how. It’s probably super simple, and I may sound like a fool for asking, but I wanted to see if you could elaborate a bit on baking shaders in Z2.

I can imagine that with the right materials, low-poly texturing for games could be made a lot easier in Z2. Especially if you can “Bake” lights and shadows with the shader too.

I was thinking it had to do with the normal map features, but I haven’t tried messing with that yet.

And I still think your work is awesome! My only critique is where are the bodies for all these heads you’re making!

How do you go into stencil mode, I cant find it anywhere?? and is it called stencil, or is it called something else?

You’ve once again made my doctor happy Dave. Do you have any idea how expensive this is getting? I mean, it’s a real pain to keep getting my jaw reattached everytime you make it fall to the floor! :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Well for color maps its not a true 3d color
bake ( its not like Displacement helper ).
I have just been getting my model into the
right view then setting up my lights and
shader. Next go to the texture menu and you will find a button to grab the canvas. Use that
canvas grab while in projection master to project you hiRes color/texture onto you lowRes. Works really well.

For stencils I just import a proper image from photoshop into the Alpha Menu. Then
I hit the make modified alpha button ( convert the 8bit to 16bit! ) and set my blur for the alpha to 1 or 2 to soften the alpha a bit using the 16bit color values. Then press the Make ST ( make stencil ) button. This
will throw the alpha into the Stencil Menu up top. You can now brush through the stencil while sculpting or in Projection Master. If your in projection master mode be sure to chage your alpha for the brush to something other than the imported one. Or you will be brushing through the stencil using the imported image as your brush! Which could be cool as well. Have fun.

Check the docs for more info on the Stencil
and Alpha menus.

If anyone else has ideas on color map baking
I would love to hear em.

Thanks

Dave

hrm not sure about the shader baking. would be usefull tho.

hey Dave i was wondering if you could give a little more info on your stencil method. or maby post an example. are they hand painted? or are you using photos? painting over photos? layering stencils? im trying a bunch of different methods and cant seem to get some of the effects your getting. thanks