Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Default Scrybe's Sketchbook

JoshForeman@gmail_ThreadIcon01.jpg
    Hi, I'm Josh Foreman, a person. And I'm working on making the jump from polymer clay to poly... clay. Get it? A pun. Here's the kind of stuff I've done with real materials in the real world:

JoshForeman@gmail_TraditionalSculpts.jpg

You can see more of that real-ish stuff here:

http://scrybe.deviantart.com/

I've got my head stuffed up with all sorts of hopes and dreams for a million projects I want to do in Zbrush. Unfortunately... right now I suck. So please help me to suck less with critiques, comments, slanders and come-ons.

First up: The classic noob trope... a SKULL!!! I know, breathtaking originality here, right? Well I took a class and we made skulls out of spheres. I figure I might as well start this thread from the beginning. That way, years from now when you are perusing this thread you will see the magnificent leaps and bounds I have made in the field of Sucking Less. You will be so amazed that your eyes will implode and your ears will shoot out blood in 30-foot streams of gushing brilliance.

JoshForeman@gmail_NoobSkull.jpg

Next up is the first tottering stumble towards a metaphysical monster. I've had this idea for years now, and figured Zbrush could be a sweet medium for doing it. I wanna do a set of the Seven Deadly Sins as horrifying monsters. Can you guess which one this is going to be? I started with Zspheres, and really need to retop him before I go further.

JoshForeman@gmail_WIP_7DS_Glut01.jpg

Oh, those are going to be his eyeballs in his mouth.

JoshForeman@gmail_WIP_7DS_Glut02.jpg

And here's part a character from a sci-fi trilogy of books I'm doing the covers for. She's trying to get her toddler sister away from a scary alien that just boarded her boat. She was originally running, but it got changed to her tripping and getting back up. So right now her knees are all wonkely bent. Baby's hands and feet still need work too.

JoshForeman@gmail_WIP_SW_RejoiceBaby1.jpg

Here's the scary alien that boarded her boat. The arms look really awkward right now.

JoshForeman@gmail_WIP_SW_Churtree.jpg

And this is a Hexacrab. An underwater alien.

JoshForeman@gmail_WIP_SW_HexFront.jpg

JoshForeman@gmail_WIP_SW_HexBack.jpg

Here's a couple shell designs I offered the author. (I'm trying to avoid saying that the author is my mom.) She liked the swirly one. Psh. Girls.

JoshForeman@gmail_WIP_SW_HexShells.jpg

That's it for now. I'll definitely keep this thread updated as I go. And please, feel free to critique heavily. I have very thick skin. And almost no neck.

Oh, I almost forgot to ask... is there a translucent material or some way I can make just one subtool translucent? Like with the mask on the woman, I had to fake that in Photoshop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JoshForeman@gmail_TraditionalSculpts.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	485.8 KB 
ID:	197762   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JoshForeman@gmail_WIP_7DS_Glut01.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	358.4 KB 
ID:	197764   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JoshForeman@gmail_WIP_7DS_Glut02.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	425.6 KB 
ID:	197765   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JoshForeman@gmail_WIP_SW_RejoiceBaby1.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	258.8 KB 
ID:	197766   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JoshForeman@gmail_WIP_SW_Churtree01.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	197767  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JoshForeman@gmail_WIP_SW_HexFront.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	264.7 KB 
ID:	197768   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JoshForeman@gmail_WIP_SW_HexBack.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	219.5 KB 
ID:	197769   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JoshForeman@gmail_WIP_SW_HexShells.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	198.2 KB 
ID:	197770   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JoshForeman@gmail_ThreadIcon01.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	115.9 KB 
ID:	197771  

Man!
    How did you get that effect of transparency?

i'd be interested to know that as well...

I really like your sculpts of the kid in the lion suit and the elephant!

the alien looks really cool too... like the texture..

Well you definitly made a great transition to 3d, looking forward to seeing more!

Member Follow User Gallery

Oh hey. Nice work. DO I KNOW YOU FROM SOMEWHERE?
    Joe Pikop, Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Dhyego
    Man!
    How did you get that effect of transparency?
    I just took two screen shots, one with the mask, and one without, and faded the mask image to 40% opasity. But what I want is a way to apply that effect in Zbrush.

Quote Originally Posted by stoofoo
    Oh hey. Nice work. DO I KNOW YOU FROM SOMEWHERE?
    I think I've seen you around town a time or two. You're that Wyatt Earp fella, right?
    Last edited by Scrybe; 06-08-10 at 08:55 AM.

have you tried the transform > transp feature?

Nice works! And, fun to read thread text too!

Transparency can be faked a little by fiddling with subtool tranparency and ghosting I think, but that is definitely one area ZBrush is lacking in my opinion. A little alpha blending would go a long way toward helping with things like eyelashes, hair, glasses, eye lenses, watch faces, surface discontinuities, and kool-aid man.

For right now, the typical method seems to be the multiple-render-and-composite strategy.

-oof

Quote Originally Posted by oofnish
    Nice works! And, fun to read thread text too!

Transparency can be faked a little by fiddling with subtool tranparency and ghosting I think,
    Are you talking about this?:

Quote Originally Posted by dragotron
    have you tried the transform > transp feature?
    If so, then that doesn't really do what I need since it seems to make all the unselected subtools ghosted. Since my tool has 15 subtools that won't work unless I merged all the subtools except the mask, then selected the other tool and the mask would be ghosted. But that's more work than just overlaying the photoshop layer. Plus, then I can't continue to work with subtools.

Quote Originally Posted by oofnish
    but that is definitely one area ZBrush is lacking in my opinion. A little alpha blending would go a long way toward helping with things like eyelashes, hair, glasses, eye lenses, watch faces, surface discontinuities, and kool-aid man.
    Yup. Keeping my fingers crossed for that feature in 4.

how do people do EYES with the spec and transparency on the eye ball???

i'm thinking to make my turntable i'm going to just render a pass with ONLY my transparent objects (eyeballs, transparent wings) and make a render mask for my entire character

A little more work on the girl's dress and shoes. Critiques appreciated. Especially proportions and wrinkles crits. Paintovers welcome!

JoshForeman@gmail_WIP_SW_RejoiceBaby2.jpg

New Member Follow User Gallery

Hey. Calf is far too long, longer than the thigh currently. The angle of the foot, or the way it is planted to the 'floor' is also rather jarring from some angles.

New Member Follow User Gallery

Hey Scybe! A lot of cool work here! I'll agree that the calf is too long. The trick I use is remembering that when I kick myself in the butt with my heal i can only reach around the bottom of my cheek. As for the drappery it is quite good, but maybe some different wrinkles for the calf area. Perhaps it's just too busy there. Good stuff overall

Quote Originally Posted by Scrybe
    Are you talking about this?:
    If so, then that doesn't really do what I need since it seems to make all the unselected subtools ghosted. Since my tool has 15 subtools that won't work unless I merged all the subtools except the mask, then selected the other tool and the mask would be ghosted. But that's more work than just overlaying the photoshop layer. Plus, then I can't continue to work with subtools.
    Yep, sorry I didn't get back to this thread to respond. You can actually use the transp feature for this. You select the subtool that you want to have be transparent, turn on transp, and then use the preference options in the image below to fake it. ( turn ghost off, turn front opacity all the way up, and back opacity controls the objects transparency) I wasn't able to get the inactive subtools to not be dimmed, however, so it is possibly still not the way to go. Also, you can't do a production render in zb.

Untitled.jpg

Thanks oofnish! That's an interesting work around. But yeah, if everything gets dim it's just easier to do the photoshop layer trick.

And thanks everyone else for the feedback on the calf. I CAN'T BELIEVE I DIDN'T NOTICE THAT!!! I guess I just got so caught up in the minutia of fabric folds that it slipped under the radar.

Heh... oh well. I guess I can just say it's part of my plan to make my later work seem better.

Here's some revisions. I'd love more feedback. Who knows, maybe her neck is twenty feet long.

JoshForeman@gmail_WIP_SW_RejoiceBaby3.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast