ZBrushCentral

Hydralisk_Daniel_Briggs

Hello everyone!

Zbrushcentral is one of the best online communities when it comes to quality of work. I am constantly on this site looking at other people for answers and inspiration. I am thankful to all of the extremely helpful people in this community. Just looking at the top row work you can learn a lot about this beautiful program. Zbrush is an amazing program for generating high poly models and I could not live without it.

My name is Daniel Briggs I am 21 years old and I will soon graduate from the Art Institute of Orange County. I actually study programming there, and I aspire to become a technical artist. I love to code in both C# and C++ and I feel like I have a lot of strengths in all aspects of making games. I am also working on a 2d physics game in C++ using the Box2D physics library. It’s really fun! This was my first attempt at a full character. I tried not to worry about poly limit I just wanted to make something that looked really cool. I plan on making a total conversion in the Unreal UDK using this character as a boss.

This is my tribute to an awesome creature from the Starcraft universe. It is called a Hydralisk. It either attacks you with it’s claws or it tilts it’s head downward and shoots a volley of spikes. I used the concept art from the Blizzard website as a major influence. But I really wanted to make this Hydralisk unique and throw some of my own ideas into it. I also had an idea for an upgraded version of this unit that had wings. It would be called a Hyperlisk and it would have the ability to fly short distances. It would basically work like a Reaper and be able to scale up and down levels in Starcraft 2 gameplay. The upgrade would cost 150 minerals and 75 gas per unit. Upgrading would cause the unit to cocoon and undergo a major stage of metamorphosis. It can not move in this form and would have a slight increase in armor. The cocoon would be completely vulnerable to attack.

I was in the Starcraft 2 beta and I have to say it is a really fun game! If you enjoyed the first Starcraft you will really like this one as well. I am very impressed with how balanced the game play is. My favorite part is how well the new battle.net works and how powerful the map editor is!

I have saves from every stage of the creation process. My 3d concept was actually created in Zbrush using Z-Sketch. I then used that concept to create a low poly model in 3ds max that I was able to unwrap and throw back into Zbrush. If I were to make a character for a game I would create the high poly first and not worry about UV’s. Then I would create a new low poly cage to unwrap and project my normals and base texture.

Perhaps I will make a tutorial…

I see myself improving greatly with every one of my personal projects that I complete. I taught myself a lot making this model. My next one will be even better! Keep looking for my name!

Compare the quality of work to my last project:
http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g65/396465/396465_1273253700_large.jpg

Befriend me on CgSociety:
http://dbriggs.cgsociety.org/gallery/

I know everyone wants high res images. But if these are too large please tell me and I can repost with some better sized ones.

…Cheers!

-Daniel Briggs
Thumbnail_Brighter02.jpg :+1: :+1:

Attachments

Sorry for multiple post: Check out my work above :smiley:

Attachments

Thumbnail.jpg

Hey man I’m loving all except the angle of the tail, which looks broken, ouch

:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

Nice! what brush did you use for the striations in the upper arm?

Thanks!

sadicus: I used the rake brush after building up the form with the clay brush.

wowowow awesome work. :+1:

Really cool creature!

It reminds me of this one scene from ‘Phantoms’, where they go into one of the victims rooms, and he’s got all these drawings of bizarre creatures up on his wall.
They looked really similar to this guy. just not nearly as detailed.:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

Crazy!

Great details and textures M8, :+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

Yeah, it’s not bad…
…ok, only kidding, it’s awesome! :+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

This is awesome! Great work and design, and the textures came out really well.

RawSunlight
Thanks! I like your shark!

dankatcher
Thank you dankatcher. The texture showcase got a little blurry when I shrunk the file size down to 500kb. =( Perhaps I will repost a smaller image with higher detail.

Derek Frenzo
Thank you!.. I think?! :lol:

twf152
Thanks!

1 soul
Thank you!

Great job recreating a great design! Very well done.

you’ve got some solid painting skill. the shadow can be improved though, make it softer with a falloff or something. love the overall feel.

tobbeo:
Thank you so much! It means a lot I looked at your demoreel it is awesome! The scene from The Old Republic where the Sith flips and causes a shockwave that breaks up the ground was my favorite! I have always wanted to use FumeFX I wish it wasn’t so expensive… What did you use to shatter the geometry? Thank you again it means a lot. :slight_smile:

GX@W

Thank you! Yes I handpainted everything that was my main goal. The real texture is a lot more crisp too, I had to lower the resolution to post the image.

i agree with the comment regarding the angle of the tail, but except this i would not be surprised to see your post in the toprow gallery in the next few hours :slight_smile:

Good work dude…
should be in Top row of Zbrush central…
:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

Great Hydralisk brother and nice texturing tooo.

Nice work.kEEP it UP.:+1:

Zainuddin fahad
My zbc sketchbook
My website

Neozerahan: Thank you! I like your latest work the best. Keep going with that lok hammer and finish it!

digital_3d: Thank you! Top row has been my goal for quite some time. I can only hope. =)

danko75: Thank you danko! If I get top row I will definitely make a tutorial for everyone.

I appreciate the kind words everyone! :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

hey Daniel, the final result is awesome, super work! cool renders :slight_smile: hope to see it in top row!